• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] What method should I use?

DAE_JA_VOO

What's your average time?

If you're slower than about a minute, then stay with LBL method. Your brain needs to learn how a cube works properly first before you can go for a new method.

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
how many threads like this will show up?

no offense but did you bother searching the forums

IMO roux...but block building will take a while to get used to.

Or start using a more intermediate LBL method...

Last edited:

Crickets

Yeah from my LBL method Fridrich was the easiest thing to switch too. But you also need to dabble in a bit of all. To see which way you like learning more. Take me for instant. I automatically understood the F2l of Fridrich and Petrus but my brain just can't get around roux. Then look at waffle=ijm he uses roux and Petrus for OH(atleast I think). Its just finding what "U" think is easiest.

brunson

WCA
2008BRUN01
F2L, Petrus, Roux whatever suits you, there are plenty of tutorials to be found on http://www.youtube.com
I suggest learning F2L.

That acronym (F2L) doesn't refer to any method, it refers to the first two layers of a cube ;)
What does the F in CFOP stand for? People have subverted its use to mean first two layers by any means, but the acronym was originally coined in the context of Fridrich.

fcwy1

YouTube
Visit Channel
i'll recommend fridrich. my friend switched to cubing after a few days of LBL solving. now after two months, he can average 29secs, though he has not learnt finish CFOP

ManuK

I started learning Fridrich F2L(well,intuitive of course)+ 4 look-LL when i crossed 120 seconds.

Last edited:

ChaosWZ

Well I've been tossing around some ideas and trying to figure out which method to stay with.

At the moment I use roux, im sub 30 with it
my fastest method is fridrich because well i started with it, 25 second avg
I can use petrus decently, not good though 35 second avg
i fail with ZZ but i know the method, 40 second average
Beginners method is just out of the question
I would say zb however theres too many algs, I can do zbf2l intuitively though
Or should I use the method I created? still unstable times with it 30-50

Im indifferent with all the methods, because I learned fridrich and petrus at the same time because I couldnt pick, then I chose roux because its kinda in the middle with solving the first two layers.

The method i created starts with a 2x2 block, then builds one opposite to it, so it kinda looks like an 8 or like that oll case except on the bottom. then i solve one slot while fixing edges (depending on the case), and the last slot I intuitively solve zbf2l, or atleast I think its zbf2l. Solving the first two layers and orienting the 4 edges on the last layer. Then i use coll and epll to finish off the cube i get anywhere from 30 to 50 seconds with this method so its still a bit unstable for me, but then again ive been using it for what an hour now? i made it because i was thinking about making one for a while so i made a new method in about an hour (using properties from other methods, kinda leaching i guess? or is it a hybrid method) anyway Im pretty sure none of the famous methods are made that fast...

so idk if itll be a good method to continue with or where the fastest possible time cuts off, it seems fridrich cuts at around 7 seconds, petrus and roux are kinda hard to tell because not enough people solve with it ZZ, im not so sure however it seems like a good method and i dont know if anyone even knows full zb

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I'd say Roux for long term, but many people would disagree. Fridrich will get you sub-20 pretty easy. Go with whatever you feel you will have the most fun with.

Gacki

So, I can do a Rubik's cube with an average time of around 1:15 (Top speed: 59 seconds) using the basic method.

I just want to know what method would be good to go even faster, like 30 seconds? I heard about the Fridrich method and grasped the F2L, but cannot do them quite fast at all.

So basically I just want to know a good method for a time around 30-40 seconds.

Thanks,

John

iSpinz

WCA
2010INKJ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Fridrich method will slow you down for about a week, but after practice, your times will drop dramatically. I highly reccomend Fridrich F2L with 2 look OLL and 2 look PLL.

Haste_cube

YouTube
Visit Channel
basic method could be CF, LBL
some of my friends never use the LBL, they even treat petrus(niklas, allan, sune) as their basic method
but that's just a rare one, so go with fridrich then