• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What cubers you admire

I admire Joey Gouly, because when I was 12 I was watching a video of him solving a 2x2 on youtube, and I thought "one day, my hair will be that gloriously thick, luscious and soft, and I will be able to run my fingers through it while thinking about why clouds look so fluffy and yet feel so wet. I mean, what else can be both fluffy and wet at the same time? Cats stop being fluffy when they're wet." After 4 years of building up courage, I sent him a PM and he told me that his secret is papaya extract shampoo, massaged gently from root to tip before rinsing with distilled water and then applying whichever conditioner Kylie Minogue has most recently been reported to be using. Now my hair is certifiably wondrous, and I have him to thank, and that's why Joey Gouly is my favourite cuber. Wherever you are Joey, I hope you are always happy. Also, that dude has some serious dance moves. I mean damn.

Also Thom Barlow, because he looks great in a skirt.

D

Deleted member 19792

I admire Brest and Sarah. They keep dealing with me. lol

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
J'ey for life. I wouldn't be alive thanks to him. One time he helped me out of my flipped car and drove to the hospital and sat by my side until I was well enough to leave. We then went out for lunch. I still smile when I look at pictures of us frolicking in the meadows. I cry whenever I hear his voice. And I laugh when I remember the good times.

yoshinator

WCA
2011HUTN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I really admire Jacob Hutnyk, for his admittance of his faking solves and his effort to get to the times he once faked.

Thanks man, I really appreciate hearing this. :)

why do people admire people who cheat and then say "sorry for cheating"

maybe I should start cheating in 2x2 so people will admire me

D:

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel
I admire the pioneers and the people who invest a ton of effort in creating new things. Lucas Garron, Stefan Pochmann, more recently Christopher Mowla... there are others. Hmm. Michael Gottlieb.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have the most admiration for people who work hard to push the limits of what is possible. There are quite a lot of people in this category - some of which have been forgotten by almost everyone - but some examples are Marcin Kowalczyk, Roman Strakhov, Nan Ma, Richard Carr, Michal Halczuk, Yu Da Hyun, and Feliks Zemdegs. I also really respect people who work hard to advance the theory of cubing by developing worthwhile new methods, ideas, or software.

WCA
2014BLOC01
Can't believe no one has mentioned Alex Lau yet. I was unsure about whether I would ever successfully use Roux, or actually ever understand F2B (I was averaging some not very good move count for First Block, and something worse for Second Block), but he took the time to basically walk me through the way he solves F2B, which both heartened me about my ability to use Roux, and helped me cut down my average move count for F2B. That he was willing to put no small amount of time into helping me instead just saying "blockbuildnstuff" still inspires me every time I get a good F2B (or a bad F2B... or an average F2B... or I'm using ZZ).

Also, Kirjava (and tOOtl, Mollerz, and everyone else on IRC), who tolerates my not-quite-constant requests for assistance on IRC, no matter how dumb my questions are, and who inspires me to give full answers to the people who ask me questions that seem to me as basic as my questions must seem to them.

Last edited:

GuRoux

WCA
2014TANG03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can't believe no one has mentioned Alex Lau yet. I was unsure about whether I would ever successfully use Roux, or actually ever understand F2B (I was averaging some not very good move count for First Block, and something worse for Second Block), but he took the time to basically walk me through the way he solves F2B, which both heartened me about my ability to use Roux, and helped me cut down my average move count for F2B. That he was willing to put no small amount of time into helping me instead just saying "blockbuildnstuff" still inspires me every time I get a good F2B (or a bad F2B... or an average F2B... or I'm using ZZ).

Also, Kirjava (and tOOtl, Mollerz, and everyone else on IRC), who tolerates my not quite constant requests for assistance on IRC no matter how dumb my questions are, who inspire me to give full answers to the people who ask me questions that seem to me as basic as my questions must seem to them.

I agree, alex lau.

Iggy

WCA
2012SEVE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I admire many cubers. Here are a few of them:

1. Noah Arthurs for making videos that really helped me improve at BLD.
2. Zane Carney for inspiring me to start blindsolving.
3. Roman Strakhov for not giving up at getting a 9BLD success.
4. Alex Lau for proving that Roux is a great method.
5. Mats Valk for breaking Feliks' WR single streak.
6. Badmephisto for his videos that helped me at 3x3 when I first started.
7. Antoine Cantin and Daniel Sheppard for being good at every event.
8. Linus Fresz and Kim Jokinen for their crazy improvement :p
9. Nevins Chan for his BLD accuracy.

I also admire other fast people like Feliks, Ollie, Marcell, Maskow, Drew Brads, Evan Liu, Chris Olson, Bill Wang (the list goes on and on :p )

Last edited:

mDiPalma

Personally,

Phil Yu as a pioneer and inspiration.

Michael Gottlieb for being a huge help.

Sebastiano Tronto for being the best at everything.

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Gilles Roux for not inventing rouxfop.
Stefan Pochmann for inventing OP and M2/R2.
(and other method creators)
Feliks, Alex Lau and Maskow for doing things that I never thought were possible.

I can't imagine a single reason for admiring someone for spinning a piece of plastic.

I think the people who appear on these lists are the people who have done more than just twist plastic. For me, many of these people have showed me what hard work and determination can achieve and have challenged my ideas of what is possible. As well as that, many of them have helped us have a little bit more fun with our hobby and helped us to do things that even we never knew we could do.

Last edited:

imvelox

WCA
2013FURL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Feliks Zemdegs, Kevin Hays, Roman Strakhov, Marcell Endrey, Marcin Kowalczyk, Alex Lau

And Vladislav Shavelsky beacuse he is the perfect copy of me(but he's faster than me at almost everything(except 8x8 :p )), we both practise almost only big and huge(8x8+) cubes
And Ben Whitmore because i can't understand how is possibile he's that fast on slidy puzzles