• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

TinaIsAwesome

WCA
2012BLAC02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Which megaminx for a complete beginner? MF8? Dayan? Something else?

Possibly ShengShou. I hear it feels like the Dayan but I'm not totally convinced. The MF8 was the best for a while but it doesn't compare to the new ones. The QJ is also surprisingly good. It's not the fastest or the best at corner cutting, or anything really but as a beginner megaminx I think it can get the job done.

I love the feel of my Zhanchi more than my Weilong. I like the clicky/snappy feel. What other cubes have a similar clicky/snappy feel?

The PanShi, YJ YuLong, the Gans III V2, and the LiYing kind of does but as much as the previous ones. Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi!
I wasn't cubing for more than 6 months. I avg about 20 seconds again and I only own a Zhan Chi . I'm really satisfied with this cube, but i want to find a cube with other turning-styles to choose between. I will probably buy 3-4 3x3 next time I order. 2 of them will be the Weilong (probably it will be too fast for me ,but i want to try it) and the Guhong v2.
For the other(s) I thought about getting:
Dayan LunHui
Cyclone Boys ( the simple version, i dont really know how its called)
Funs ShuangRen

Which of them would you suggest?
I'm also open for other suggestions.
Since two of the cubes that you are wanting are WeiLongs, you could try just getting one WeiLong, and the one AoLong, i have heard that the Aolong is just as good as the WeiLong,, but thath they have different feels, with the Aolong having a more crunchy feeling.

matejm1994

WCA
2010MOHA02
I would say if you do purchase a Zhanchi get the 55mm but I'm a bit biased since that's my main (I have smaller hands). Regardless, it's a very good cube. To my knowledge Dayan cubes do not come pre-lubed and even if they did, I would still recommend that you purchase your own lube and lubricate it yourself.

The difference between a Zhanchi and GuHong is somewhat substantial. The Zhanchi has anti-pop torpedoes while the GuHong(v1) does not. The pieces on the GuHong are not as curved as Zhanchi pieces but instead are a bit rigid and blocky. This basically means that the cube itself is a blockier and can't corner cut as well the Zhanchi. I may be wrong but this is just my experience with these cubes. You could probably get away with using a Zhanchi at your speed but I might recommend starting with something a bit slower and more controllable like a YJ 3x3(ChiLong/YuLong).

Hi!

Thank you very much! I ordered ZhanChi cube, and I hope it will be good! Anyway, if the cube will be too fast, I will then consider buying one of these YJ cubes. :)
Thanks!

Jont828

Hi, I've been planning on getting a 2x2, and I've narrowed it down to the Dayan Zhanchi 2x2 and the Moyu LingPo. Which is the more dominant/widely used? Any suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

TinaIsAwesome

WCA
2012BLAC02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi, I've been planning on getting a 2x2, and I've narrowed it down to the Dayan Zhanchi 2x2 and the Moyu LingPo. Which is the more dominant/widely used? Any suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I think the Dayan is more widely used but the LingPo is a very close second. The Dayan is very smooth but does takes some effort to break in while the LingPo is fast and clicky. So really it just depends on your taste in cubes. You can't go wrong with either of them go because neither pop or lock-up and both have good corner cutting. I personally use the LingPo but that's because I prefer clicky/crunchy cubes.

Destro

Is the dayan panshi a great cube? (Many people says it sucks)

Hello,
I'm fairly new to the cubing scene and have recently learned how to solve the 3x3. I'm thinking about buying my first 4x4 and 5x5 cubes and am wondering what you guys think would be the best cubes to get?

I'm definitely not a speed-cuber so I'm not really looking for the fastest cubes on the market. My main concern is stability; I don't want these cubes popping on me while traveling in a car or when a friend decides that they want to mess with them.
Shengshou

Last edited by a moderator:

GnaCuber

Which square 1 should I get? MF8 v1, Calvins, or Cubetwist? I heard really good things about the MF8 v1s, bit i'm not sure where to get them. Anyone knows?

CubeShapeMind

Hi people, I've been wanting to learn a new puzzle, something other than an nxnxn cube which I can solve any size of. What would you recommend be the next step up from standard cubes? I want to learn a popular puzzle that I know I'll have no problem finding help and tutorials for. I've had my eyes on the Megaminx and it's various sizes. However, it's been a long time since I was into this hobby so I don't want anything too difficult right now like gears, Square 1, cuboids, or any shapeshifters for that matter. What do you guys think?

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Daqing Bao felt that he was forced to design it and didn't really put much time/effort into it.
Not sure that's fair. He took the small central sphere concept that he had developed for the other Dayan cubes (and patented) and developed it further for the Panshi. I'm not aware of any other ~57mm cube that has such a small mechanism. So the cube does show innovation and ambition. It didn't live up to the extreme expectations and hype, but it's a brave cube, and IMHO not a bad one.

Etkim823

I was thinkin about replacing my main from the weilong to the aolong is there a big difference? Is it worth getting