• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

fastycuby

is the Shengshou Black 4by4 a good cube worthy of buying?
because i was seriously thinking to buy a 4by4.
if the cube is worthy of buying i will buy it and please reply fast

Cuberfreak

In need of a new 4x4

I know several people have posted on this but i cannot find a solid answer.
My head is swimming with names like Shengshou, Dayan, qj, east sheen, mefferts, maru, LanLan... so many names and there seem to be so few consistent reviews or opinions.
can someone please give me some reviews on different brands of cubes, which ones you like, which ones aren't so great, and rate them on a scale of 1 to 10.
the main thing i'm looking for is a cube that won't pop to much and won't misalign very often but also one that twists easily and quickly.
p.s. don't bother mentioning the x cubes. i know they are very good but they are out of my price range (no more than $20)

edit: okay i have decided to buy a Shengshou v III with white base. my question now is where can i get it for the cheapest price and should i get regular or textured stickers (is there much difference)

Last edited:

sa11297

WCA
2011AGAR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
qj, east sheen, mefferts, maru, LanLan are bad. Shengshou v3 is good and Dayan is good, but htey are very different. Shengshou is kind of locky and crispy. Dayan is smooth but bid and pops. The mini dayan does not play as well as the original size. If you are willing to wait a couple of weeks, the new version of the original size should come out.

EDIT: actually, The Maru is not bad, but still SS v3 is probably your best bet.

Last edited:
Ive only owned the Maru and Shengshou V3 and between the two, i recommend the SS.

The SS has amazingly smooth inner layers but I found the outers to be sub par without modding. The outer layers seemed to snag on themselves a lot but a bit of modding can fix that, making it a great cube for a cheap price.

I've actually owned 2 Maru 4X4s and had both of them break on me. What happens is the long post that the screw and spring slide into comes unglued from the perpendicular curved piece that holds on the 4 center pieces. This results in the cube falling completely apart and it's a total pain to put back together. I've tried regluing it at least a dozen times and it always seems to keep letting go. When i finally managed to glue it back on perfectly straight, the core started misalligning constantly and the corner pieces would sometimes make a 90 degree shift. It's a shame because i loved the hollow clicky feel of that cube but it suffers from poor build quality in my experiences. Although lots of people swear by this cube so maybe I just got a couple of bad ones.

xpew

2x2 limited to 180 degree turns?

Does anyone have one i could buy (for my kids?)

scrubofcubes

So I've been working on my 3x3, I've been cubing for like a month and my average is around 30 seconds(slow, I know). I would also like to start doing other puzzles too. Should I get a 2x2 or a 4x4. As far as I know, the best 2x2 is a WitTwo and the best (inexpensive) 4x4 is a shengshou v3. Is this true? Thanks in advance

emolover

WCA
2009MAHO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I've been working on my 3x3, I've been cubing for like a month and my average is around 30 seconds(slow, I know). I would also like to start doing other puzzles too. Should I get a 2x2 or a 4x4. As far as I know, the best 2x2 is a WitTwo and the best (inexpensive) 4x4 is a shengshou v3. Is this true? Thanks in advance

Personally if your choosing between a 2x2 and a 4x4, I would suggest the 4x4 because you will learn more from it.

The type C two is the best 2x2 and will likely stay that way for a long time. There is no best 4x4 but I would recommend the shenshou V3 or the dayan V2 which comes out in less than a month.

V-te

YouTube
Visit Channel
Greetings! I have returned from a two year hiatus of my cubing career, and since then, there has been a massive explosion in the quantity of brands, as well as the quality. My question is, what is considered "Good" and "Bad" in the market at the moment? Thank you.

BlueDevil

WCA
2011LOWR01
Greetings! I have returned from a two year hiatus of my cubing career, and since then, there has been a massive explosion in the quantity of brands, as well as the quality. My question is, what is considered "Good" and "Bad" in the market at the moment? Thank you.

Dayans are all the rage right now. The ZhanChi is the most popular, though some people also like the Guhong, Guhong V2, and Lingyun. They all have good speed and great corner cutting. The ZhanChi and Guhong V2 will come with antipop 'torpedoes'

The new Type C IV 3x3 is also supposed to be good. Fast speed, almost NO pops, but it supposedly can lock up a little too often.

If anybody else thinks there are other cubes he should know about, chime in.

Basically, most people like and have a Dayan. Try a ZhanChi or Guhong V2.

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Dayans are all the rage right now. The ZhanChi is the most popular, though some people also like the Guhong, Guhong V2, and Lingyun. They all have good speed and great corner cutting. The ZhanChi and Guhong V2 will come with antipop 'torpedoes'

The new Type C IV 3x3 is also supposed to be good. Fast speed, almost NO pops, but it supposedly can lock up a little too often.

If anybody else thinks there are other cubes he should know about, chime in.

Basically, most people like and have a Dayan. Try a ZhanChi or Guhong V2.

The Lunhui also has torps. Lubix make torps specifically for the Guhong V1 and Lingyun V1. The Zhanchi is one of the best out there, and Lubix also make amazing pre-lubed/modded/tensioned cubes. Shengshou are the main 'big cube' company, and they are bringing out their cubic 7x7x7 very soon (giving them a full 2x2-8x8 range). The Witeden 'WitTwo' 2x2 is the best 2x2 out there now. That should bring you back up to speed. And good luck!

xcuber123

YouTube
Visit Channel
what cubes should i get...

This isn't about 3x3's or stuff it is about what puzzles i should get. The most fun ones. i.e a lingao magic, qj tiled pyraminx etc. I only have a 3x3 (zhanchi) and i want other cubes. Whatever puzzles you think are fun say them and also say the best one of their type. i.e shengshou 4x4 instead of 4x4