• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Fluxor

The two cubes are sealed and unsealed. Basically the first one is the A-V and the second is a supposedly better or 'sealed' version. Most people would get the non-sealed though. Depending on where you live, don't buy from lightake. I heard it takes about a month to ship. I suggest getting the Alpha-V (or A-V). It is pretty good for a beginner's cube.

EDIT: Another good cube is the mf8 3x3 which just came out. It's only good after lubrication though. (Don't lube any of these cubes with vaseline BTW!!! It will ruin the cube!)

I´m from Central Europe so there is a problem with shiping from most sites. Its funny its like the furthest point from both China and USA. Lightake is the first one i found that will send it here so i guess ill just have to wait that month. So besides the store is this cube good choice for me ? And should I buy some extra stickers ? (Will it get so bad as on my cube ?) What is actualy the difference between sealed and nonsealed ? thanks

Jostle

WCA
2011NYMA01
So how bad is popping on dayan+mf8? Compared to a rubiks brand. Because I don't solve 444 that much just because mine sucks:D

Kynit

How bad are pops on the Shenshou 4x4? I'm interested in getting one and I want something that I can solve without worrying about the pieces flying out on me.

Vinny

WCA
2011VECC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How bad are pops on the Shenshou 4x4? I'm interested in getting one and I want something that I can solve without worrying about the pieces flying out on me.

they're insane. I'll be solving mine, and then this happens:

Haha not really. But whenever mine pops, I'll have an entire chunk pop, then when I put it down, the top 2 layers will almost be gone. Then I have to switch 4x4's because by the time i get it back together, there's lube all over the outside of the cube. The only reason I prefer it over my Maru is because it is controllable, you just can't go crazy. Plus, the Maru misaligns like crazy so I don't like using mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

uberCuber

WCA
2011THOM01
When people keep mentioning "misalignments" on Maru 4x4, do they mean a core misalignment like with the V-Cube 6? Because if they do...am I the only one who has never had this problem once and gets confused when people complain about it?

Jostle

WCA
2011NYMA01
I don't have a maru or a v6 so I don't understand the concept of misalignment, could anyone explain it?

Edit: kthx:D

Last edited:

Vinny

WCA
2011VECC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't have a maru or a v6 so I don't understand the concept of misalignment, could anyone explain it?

The mechanism of a Maru 4x4 is the same as a 5x5. There is a hidden "layer" hidden between the two middle layers. Sometimes, if you get too rough with the cube, this layer can misalign, and it's a pain to fix in the middle of a solve because, well, you can't touch it because it's inside. When this happens, you can't turn the other 2 axes because it's the same thing as having the middle layer of a 3x3 misaligned, except you can't just fix it.

It's a pain.

ianography

WCA
2009BOUR01

On both the Maru and the V6, the core is similar to that of a 3x3, by that it is a spider core. When you turn 2 layers on a Maru or 3 layers of a V6, you might possibly have the spider core not move the entire way, causing the core to misalign, and have most of the cube not be possible to turn until it is fixed. On the V6, it's really easy to fix, but on a Maru, it's not that easy.

EDIT: Ninja'd again!

Cool Frog

I recommend the Lan Lan 4x4 for the following reasons:

I've never had it lock up , ever ( but it can't cut inner layers whatsoever...and it can cut outer layers somewhat)

I've never needed to lube it since it turned smooth out of the box ( I assume it was prelubed)

The cube is sturdy

Sticker quality is good.

It cost me ten bucks
Video solve please? (No video no proof)
Its usually just like one of the edge pieces, and its always very minor. There are no explosions

Yeah, My Dayan+MF8 only exploded once but I was really forcing things on a lockup. Whenever I do get a pop it is just a single wing.

asportking

YouTube
Visit Channel
Personally, I never really liked the LanLan 4X4. Besides it being really smooth (which isn't THAT much of a deal), it cannot cut inner layers at all, and while it can cut outer layers a little bit, you really have to force the cube for it to cut (kind of like an ES 5X5; it can kind of cut corners, but you really have to force it). I always felt it was only kind of like a smoother rubiks 4X4, and the mechanism is kind of like a rubiks as well.

Mikon

My Dayan explodes all the time. I love the feeling of the inner layers as I properly lube the core, but it pops like hell! More than 3 pieces fly every time! And it's in almost every solve!
The feeling of my Mru is not as good as the Dayan, but it's more reliable...
I'm actually considering an x-cube 4...

Mikon

My Dayan is too big and pops a lot. My Maru locks a lot more than my Dayan...
Should I get a x-cube 4? Is it really worth the money? Is that far superior that you can actually pay double the price?