• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Eli Apperson

WCA
2022APPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Which 4*4 should i buy with unlimited budget?
MGC:
Pros -
Fast, flexible, good corner cutting, low price, responds well to lube.
Cons - Pops easily, difficult to reassemble.

Ambition:
Pros -
Stable, decently quick, almost never pops, very easy to reassemble.
Cons - Not very easy to lube, doesn't have the best corner cutting.

WRM -
Pros -
Fast, flexible, responds well to lube, small.
Cons - Expensive, takes a lot of break in, corner cutting is meh.

Lio2010

MGC:
Pros -
Fast, flexible, good corner cutting, low price, responds well to lube.
Cons - Pops easily, difficult to reassemble.

Ambition:
Pros -
Stable, decently quick, almost never pops, very easy to reassemble.
Cons - Not very easy to lube, doesn't have the best corner cutting.

WRM -
Pros -
Fast, flexible, responds well to lube, small.
Cons - Expensive, takes a lot of break in, corner cutting is meh.
So MGC is the Best?

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
But if it is the first 4×4 i buy it is a good choice?
Many people prefer the MGC and for the low price it's hard to go wrong. Personally I dislike nearly everything about it. It has that MGC feel, which I dislike, it's frosted, it's sandy, it's way too fast, it feels cheap. Not my cup of tea.

Personally I love the Ambition, it's a reasonable price, it's glossy, it has primary internals, it's very stable, decently fast but not too fast. The shades are great, it is (very controversial opinion ahead) very easy to set up, and it's all around just a pleasure to turn. Many people complain about the corner cutting and it is lacking and reverse but I don't find it a huge issue. It does get usage by top solvers but not nearly as much as the MGC.

If it's your first 4x4 it's probably best to get the MGC. It's only $20 and most people love it. If you want to be risky or you have an uncommon preference in your cubes (like me) then I'd recommend the Ambition.

gsingh

WCA
2019SING33
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Many people prefer the MGC and for the low price it's hard to go wrong. Personally I dislike nearly everything about it. It has that MGC feel, which I dislike, it's frosted, it's sandy, it's way too fast, it feels cheap. Not my cup of tea.
The MGC is not frosted.

gsingh

WCA
2019SING33
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Strange. I've tried an MGC 4x4 and 6x6 and I own a MGC Square-1. All are definitely disgustingly frosted unless modding is done. Are new batch's better or were old batches glossy and new ones are frosted?
I have all of the MGC big cubes (4-7) and none of them are frosted. I have 2 MGC 4x4's. I bought one in mid 2021, and one in mid 2022. None have ever been frosted.

refrotsnezte

Hi,
I‘m Philipp and i recently decided to pick up cubing again. I am currently relearning all the PLLs and I average around 30s. So I habe a few questions.

1. Does anyone know when online shops are going to have the gan13 in stock?

2. I currently have the rs3m 2020. It‘s starting to feel a little old and the turning is getting harder. That‘s why I‘m planning to buy lube and a second 3x3 because I‘m going to need one anyway for comps etc.
I‘m not sure if I should wait until the gan 13 is available or if i should just buy the 12 or even the 11m pro as there are many youtubers that have bad things to say about the gan maglev. I‘m also open to other brands and cubes like the wrm 2021 or the tornado v2 or even the v3 when it comes out.

3. I‘m also planning to buy other puzzles. What‘s your favorite 2x2 and pyraminx?

4. which lubes would you buy?

For the 3x3 the price doesn‘t matter bit would be nice if the other cubes are under 20$ each. It would be nice if anyone can give opinions about the cubes above.

Eli Apperson

WCA
2022APPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi,
I‘m Philipp and i recently decided to pick up cubing again. I am currently relearning all the PLLs and I average around 30s. So I habe a few questions.

Within a couple weeks
2. I currently have the rs3m 2020. It‘s starting to feel a little old and the turning is getting harder. That‘s why I‘m planning to buy lube and a second 3x3 because I‘m going to need one anyway for comps etc.
Lube and cleaning will help it tremendously
I‘m not sure if I should wait until the gan 13 is available or if i should just buy the 12 or even the 11m pro as there are many youtubers that have bad things to say about the gan maglev. I‘m also open to other brands and cubes like the wrm 2021 or the tornado v2 or even the v3 when it comes out.
I would suggest you try some cheaper cubes first to try to figure out what kind of cubes you like.
3. I‘m also planning to buy other puzzles. What‘s your favorite 2x2 and pyraminx?
Qiyi ms 2x2 and Yuxin Little magic Pyraminx.
A silicone lube, such as silk or martin or 10k, and a water based lube like dnm.

gsingh

WCA
2019SING33
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi,

For the 3x3 the price doesn‘t matter bit would be nice if the other cubes are under 20$ each. It would be nice if anyone can give opinions about the cubes above.

1. The cubicle has stock confirmed for the 20th, I think.

2. Waiting for the Tornado V3 is probably the best idea.

3. Qiyi MS 2x2, and I don't do Pyraminx.

4. DNM-37, Mystic, and Silk from the cubicle.

refrotsnezte

Within a couple weeks

Lube and cleaning will help it tremendously

I would suggest you try some cheaper cubes first to try to figure out what kind of cubes you like.

Qiyi ms 2x2 and Yuxin Little magic Pyraminx.

A silicone lube, such as silk or martin or 10k, and a water based lube like dnm.
Thanks for the replies guys.
For the 3x3 I figured that I already have a budget cube so i‘d buy a flagship cube with adjustable magnets and so on that will last me a long time.

Is there any info yet on the tornado v3 release date? Looks like an interesting cube.

Yep the lube and cleaning makes sense. I cleaned my rs3m when I started cubing again a few weeks ago and there was a lot of white „dust“ on the inside. Maybe residue from the lube? But I never lubed it and I heard the rs3m is unlubed out of the box. I‘m gonna buy a few lubes with my order and try them out.

I often heard that the mgc elite 2x2 is the best since the valk was discontinued but I‘m gonna look into the qiyi ms. Thanks for the tips guys.

Ander

I have the magnetic Little Magic 2x2 and Pyraminx, and they work fine. So fine I also got the 4x4 (currently inbound). I can't really tell you how optimal they are for speedcubing though, because I just got them for collecting and showing my son the various types of puzzles, but I am only focusing on 3x3 at the moment. Still, I didn't notice any specific issue when I toyed with them. Cheers.