• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

B class cuber

Hi everyone
I have been cubing for a long time
I had an rs3m 2020 but it become old
I want to get a new cube
My range is [10,30] dollars
Which cube should I get

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
Some things I find as a beginner may be useful for other beginners starting out:

The most important thing by far is your own requirements. A top speedcuber/tester/competitor can turn so fast and so different, what they say could be irrelevant to you.

It's a learning process, just finding your requirements, and, for a beginner, even the requirements change. (I have loosened my cubes quite a bit lately and I have got better times. I hope it means my finger skills are improving.) Read widely but never lose sight of your own requirements. Chasing the best possible cube is fun, and expensive, but if your budget is limited, I think it is wiser buy when there is a clear reason to upgrade, and then get a good but not necessarily the best one. All the really fancy features like core magnets, maglev, super light weight, etc may not be relevant to you at all, like the tiny super precise steering wheel (jerky), advanced suspension (bumpy), heel-n-toe tuned pedals and gear shift, tight turning (drifting) ability ... of a supercar in the hands of a normal driver. By the time you can make use of some of those advanced features, there will already be another "best" cube with even newer and better features, and probably for about the same price. I can't see prices going much higher, but I may be wrong, if cubes follow the trend of name brand runners.

For me, as an example, I have not experienced any problem with the well known reverse corner cutting limitation of the Tornado V2. (Do the advanced super fast speedcubers really force turn the cube layers at near 45 degrees out of alignment?) Its other qualities like super smooth feel, quietness, ease of adjustments, and a lighter weight make it the best (non-smart) cube for me, even though I know there are better cubes with great features for others.

It is easy to fall into the trap, buying every "great" new cube, as I have found. After 5 months, I have 15 cubes already, including the Moyu RS3M 2020, WRM 2021, Moyu AI cube, GoCube, Tengyun M, YJ Zhilong, Diansheng S3M, and Tornado V2. And I have ordered my first Gan, the Mini M Pro. :oops:

(The RS3Ms are IMO great cubes from tests at fantastic prices, but I only used them for a couple of weeks. They are not good for my requirements, as I have small hands, and my fingers get tired using the heavy cubes, even heavier after adding magnets to make them more stable to compensate for my skill level. The lightweight and super cheap Diansheng S3M is surprising and very nice as I try to rest my fingers and my trigger thumb at this time. It's again about requirements, and especially in this case, also setup.)

Last edited:

ruffleduck

YouTube
Visit Channel
Do the advanced super fast speedcubers really force turn the cube layers at near 45 degrees out of alignment?
No. Usually we test cornercutting at 45 degrees because we are testing the limits of the cube. How well the cube cornercuts at 45 degrees can show how well it cornercuts tiny misalignments (which is harder to test)