• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Spacey10

YouTube
Visit Channel
took me like 30 minutes to find this thread but now I found it yahoo

i have like a 25 dollar budget, and idk what to get. I'm thinking of a 5x5 or a 7x7, no way I'm getting a 6x6. i have a 4x4 so I guess i know edge pairing and stuff. not really interested in two by two. probably ordering from thecubicle.

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
took me like 30 minutes to find this thread but now I found it yahoo

i have like a 25 dollar budget, and idk what to get. I'm thinking of a 5x5 or a 7x7, no way I'm getting a 6x6. i have a 4x4 so I guess i know edge pairing and stuff. not really interested in two by two. probably ordering from thecubicle.
I’d definitely recommend the MGC 5x5. It’s on sale for $19 right now.

Reactions: LBr
What's the best feeling 3x3 under £25 ($30ish)? I want a cube that won't necessarily be my main but for taking out the house or learning algorithms. No cubicle/speedcubeshop pro versions as shipping is more expensive than my house (although I can buy lube)

Edit: Also performance doesn't matter too much as I'm not really going to be speedsolving much on it

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
What's the best feeling 3x3 under £25 ($30ish)? I want a cube that won't necessarily be my main but for taking out the house or learning algorithms. No cubicle/speedcubeshop pro versions as shipping is more expensive than my house (although I can buy lube)

Edit: Also performance doesn't matter too much as I'm not really going to be speedsolving much on it
I have the Tengyun v2, but not the v1, but I’ve heard the v1 has an amazing feeling, as well as the fact that it’s very quiet, so it wouldn’t bother anybody in public. I personally wouldn’t want to take anything over $10 out of the house, though. I also have the Thunderclap v3 M, which used to be my main, and only costs $10. I personally like the feeling, but a lot of people have said that it feels like a Valk Power, which many people didn’t like. You could also get something really cheap such as the Meilong M or the MS.

Spacey10

YouTube
Visit Channel

I have the Tengyun v2, but not the v1, but I’ve heard the v1 has an amazing feeling, as well as the fact that it’s very quiet, so it wouldn’t bother anybody in public. I personally wouldn’t want to take anything over $10 out of the house, though. I also have the Thunderclap v3 M, which used to be my main, and only costs $10. I personally like the feeling, but a lot of people have said that it feels like a Valk Power, which many people didn’t like. You could also get something really cheap such as the Meilong M or the MS.
of course like any generic person i would say rs3m 2020, but your budget is higher, so that's nice.
def not the QiYi MS, good performance, but really loud and clacky. Tengy v1 is a really good buy, as the quiet feeling is really nice, but don't want to lose it as its a bit expensive. a cube that was popular on release but forgotten was dayan guhong v4, but according to some reviews, the corners scratch the center, but its 15 bucks.
you can get the guhong v3 for 12 bucks, and here is a review by someone that sums it up also 54mm so want to watch out for that:

I am generally not too critical of cubes, but this one came out of the box greasier than a Double Cheese Burger from McDonald's. I immediately took the cube apart and set the cube up myself. This is a smaller cube, with the old school shades, and a glossy finish. It is very soft in turning and very quiet. I bought the cube to play around with when I am watching TV with the family so they don't get anything come my cube and it is working great for that. If you are interested in DaYan's TengYun due to how quiet people say it is, but don't want to pay extra this cube should do the trick if you are willing to use heavier lube.

also off topic but I thought you replied to yourself because you have similar profile pictures 😆

Gerry

I finally have the 4x4- 7x7 YJ MGCs. As I heard the was a really solid line up.
Is there a 2x2 or 3x3 MGC that is as good as the bigger cubes? Or should I just stick with the already known good 2x2s and 3x3s?

IDK if the GAN 11M is good ?
It’s my main. Turning it is really nice, there are barely any catches and corner cutting is great. I like a lot about this cube and i get the best times on it but there is a problem with popping. It happens more than any other cube for me and i don’t want to tighten it bevause i don’t want to get rid of the previous good things. I’d say it’s a really good cube but that is a problem with it

BMcD308

There are a number of GAN 11 series cubes. All of them share the GES pro system for adjusting tensions. They differ in magnet setup (and maybe other ways).
The GAN 11 Air is not magnetized.
The GAN 11M has corner and edge magnets like traditional magnetic cubes but does not have the extra corner to core magnets that were all the hullabaloo when the 11M Pro was released.
The GAN 11M Duo has the extra corner to core magnets, but none of the magnets on the cube are adjustable. It is the only of these cubes that I have, and I love it.
The GAN 11M Pro adds adjustable magnets. It is my understanding (but I do not own an 11M Pro) that the 11M Duo is like an 11M Pro with the magnets permanently on the middle setting. The 11M Pro is the only model that offers different surface finishes.

Not sure if that helps with your question, but it may clear up confusion about what you are paying for as you move up in price among the GAN 11 models.

Mo_A2244

YouTube
Visit Channel
There are a number of GAN 11 series cubes. All of them share the GES pro system for adjusting tensions. They differ in magnet setup (and maybe other ways).
The GAN 11 Air is not magnetized.
The GAN 11M has corner and edge magnets like traditional magnetic cubes but does not have the extra corner to core magnets that were all the hullabaloo when the 11M Pro was released.
The GAN 11M Duo has the extra corner to core magnets, but none of the magnets on the cube are adjustable. It is the only of these cubes that I have, and I love it.
The GAN 11M Pro adds adjustable magnets. It is my understanding (but I do not own an 11M Pro) that the 11M Duo is like an 11M Pro with the magnets permanently on the middle setting. The 11M Pro is the only model that offers different surface finishes.

Not sure if that helps with your question, but it may clear up confusion about what you are paying for as you move up in price among the GAN 11 models.
Don't forget the Mini, smaller version of the Pro 53mm i think

Reactions: LBr

Gerry

What are the recommendations for 8x8 and up? I prefer stickleress but not a deal breaker over quality. Well 8x8 and up to a reasonable size. Not gonna drop hundreds of dollars for the crazy 21x21 or anything.

Also interested in non WCA size megaminxes. I really enjoy megaminx so I want to try different orders.

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
What are the recommendations for 8x8 and up? I prefer stickleress but not a deal breaker over quality. Well 8x8 and up to a reasonable size. Not gonna drop hundreds of dollars for the crazy 21x21 or anything.

Also interested in non WCA size megaminxes. I really enjoy megaminx so I want to try different orders.
For NxN’s, the Meilong series is a great choice. They are very small, cheap, and stickerless, and they perform really well. As for minxes, Shengshou is the only good option for anything bigger than a megaminx. The Qiyi Kilominx is generally considered to be the best Kilominx.

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
For NxN’s, the Meilong series is a great choice. They are very small, cheap, and stickerless, and they perform really well. As for minxes, Shengshou is the only good option for anything bigger than a megaminx. The Qiyi Kilominx is generally considered to be the best Kilominx.
For 8x8 and 9x9 the Dianheng's will most likely be the best. @Gerry the Diansheng 8x8 and 9x9 will be magnetic which is a huge plus. They'll also be very affordable.

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel

For 8x8 and 9x9, Diansheng has magnetic ones coming out very soon. They are likely to be the best. If you can't wait, get the Cyclone Boys G8 and the Meilong 9x9. For 10x10 and up, the Meilongs are probably your best bet.

For higher order megaminxes, you really only have one option - Shengshou. MF8 made some as well but you don't want those.

cuber314159

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther...
WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel

I presume that the diansheng series will be best once they have been released since they are magnetic but until then I would personally recommend the yuxin little magic series for 8x8 - 11x11, I have generally found them to be more reliable and better quality than the meilongs.