• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

kbrune

WCA
2012BRUN02
Looking for 5x5 recomendations. Haven't gotten any new cubes in around 2-3 years and alot has changed. Would have to be stickered in black. All of the stickerless cubes i've tried, I have a hard time with colour recognition.

Thank you

PiKeeper

WCA
2021KLIN02
Looking for 5x5 recomendations. Haven't gotten any new cubes in around 2-3 years and alot has changed. Would have to be stickered in black. All of the stickerless cubes i've tried, I have a hard time with colour recognition.

Thank you
There are a few 5x5s that are equally good, but the cheapest and my favorite is the MGC 5x5.

Thank you
The MGC 5x5 is kind of universally known as the best 5x5. There are other good options like the Valk as well but the MGC isn't even that expensive. It does need a bit of setup though

kbrune

WCA
2012BRUN02
The MGC 5x5 is kind of universally known as the best 5x5. There are other good options like the Valk as well but the MGC isn't even that expensive. It does need a bit of setup though

Glad you mentioned that. I prefer out of the box ready. I've never been too interested in setting up. Also,
Is the MGC "Max MGC 5x5" at the cubicle? for 35$?
If so I only see a stickerless option. I usually have issues recognizing orange on stickerless cubes. Any known improvements in stickerless colours?

povlhp

I'm on the rsm3 2020 bandwagon too. It is a great all-around cube that works great and has modern amenities to adjust to your liking. Excellent place to start. While you're at it, throw in a cheap Meilong M into the cart, so you can compare. Have fun.
I have plenty of cubes. GuHong V4M and Tengyun V1 is where I do most solves. Some times on my GTS3M. Thunderclap V3M in the car. All fits my style more than the RS3M.
Meilong M and QiYi MS are also better out of the box than my attempts to optimize the RS3M. At least the one solve I did before putting them back. Maybe I should open another RS3M and try again.
Only did a single solve on my Tengyun V2 - I already have plenty cubes.

povlhp

which puzzle is most like the RS3M?
I hear the WRM 2020 is the closest to RS3M. But way more expensive.

But most cubes can be changed a lot with setup. That is screw depth, spring compression, lube, magnets.

You would not be able to recognize a well tuned cube if blindfolded. The difference is that big.

Fast Nelson

Now I have tried a lot of cubes and really think the RS3M is overrated. Slow, weak magnets, the screw issues.
from what I have I would say my favorites are:
GTS3M , Tengyun v2, GuHong V4M, Tengyun V1, RS3M and then Thunderclap V3M.
maybe thunderclap before RS3M.
It is all about preference.
I don’t have that many cubes as I just got my first 2 speedcubes in Feb. They’re the RS3M and meilong m. My cubing friend also gave me his GuHong V3 for free, and I think the RS3M and meilong are a lot better. I also borrowed his Gan XS b4, and there’s really a big difference between the XS and the RS3M. I guess most youcubers said that the RS3M is good, is just because the RS3M is cheap, and not bad at all. The dual adjustment system made people think the cube is premium. However, I think the feel is more similar to a budget cube than a flagship cube. It’s performance is definitely worth $9, or more.

Fast Nelson

I have been using a non-magnetic 2x2 for 2 years and I’m averaging about 4 seconds using the ortega method. I wanna get a new one cuz the one I’m using has too many catches and lock-ups. I like controllable cubes more than fast ones, is there any suitable 2x2s (under $13) for me?

Should I get the Rs3m2020?
Hey, so I've been looking for a good cube that doesn't cost too much because I have been using my Meilong 3m for about a year. I heard that the Rs3m2020 is what most people recomend, but I have also heard that the core of this cube has problems with stripping. I would really like to buy this cube but i am worried that the core on mine would have this problem too. Is this still happening on new rs3m's and does it happen often?