• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rainger

Hey All,

I want to prefix this with this statement: I know that there is no best cube for any method, I know the best Roux users can get sub-ten second solves with any current budget cube. I get everyone has their own preferences regardless of their method.

I love trying out new cubes and I'm looking for recommendations in regards to using Roux Method. I'd love a cube that allows for very easy/smooth M turns. I'd also like a cube that is just fun to use and assists in a Roux style solving.

Some of the best users, such as Sean Villanueva and Kian Mansour, use Valk variations such as the Valk Elite, Valk 3 M, or Valk Power in competitions as far as I can tell. I have heard of other popular Roux users using cubes such as the GTS3M, due to its ridges making the M slice easier to grip and turn in theory, the GAN 356 X, and even the budget Meilong 3x3.

I'd love to start a discussion about what cubes you all use for Roux and why. Maybe we can all narrow down a list of a few cubes to help new and existing Roux users "Roux" more effectively/have a more fun time in their Roux solves. What do you think the best cube for Roux is?

Thanks Everyone,

Rainger

Last edited:
WCA
2019VENK09
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey All,

I want to prefix this with this statement: I know that there is no best cube for any method, I know the best Roux users can get sub-ten second solves with any current budget cube. I get everyone has their own preferences regardless of their method.

I love trying out new cubes and I'm looking for recommendations in regards to using Roux Method. I'd love a cube that allows for very easy/smooth M turns. I'd also like a cube that is just fun to use and assists in a Roux style solving.

Some of the best users, such as Sean Villanueva and Kian Mansour, use Valk variations such as the Valk Elite, Valk 3 M, or Valk Power in competitions as far as I can tell. I have heard of other popular Roux users using cubes such as the GTS3M, due to its ridges making the M slice easier to grip and turn in theory, the GAN 356 X, and even the budget Meilong 3x3.

I'd love to start a discussion about what cubes you all use for Roux and why. Maybe we can all narrow down a list of a few cubes to help new and existing Roux users "Roux" more effectively/have a more fun time in their Roux solves.

Thanks Everyone,

Rainger
I am not a roux user, but the DaYan TengYun V2 M( my main ) can be customized to a variety of preferences. I think there are 48 settings on my TengYun V2 and the M slices are really good.
P.S : It is also as quiet as a cat trying to steal milk from your house

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
I am not a roux user, but the DaYan TengYun V2 M( my main ) can be customized to a variety of preferences. I think there are 48 settings on my TengYun V2 and the M slices are really good.
I also main the Tengyun v2, but any cube that has customizable tensions and magnets could work for that.

Rainger

I don't have a cat but I DO have that cube. I liked the V1 slightly better but that just may be because I don't have it set up perfectly yet.

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is clearly not referencing my cat because the only time he isn’t saying something is when he’s knawing on something plastic in our house.

but seriously, You think the V2 is extremely quiet? I was under the impression it was significantly louder than the v1, which IMO is the quietest cube ever.

It doesn't really matter, as long as the cube has good M moves.
So it sounds like something matters. It seems the question is what cube has good M moves.

Rainger

This is clearly not referencing my cat because the only time he isn’t saying something is when he’s knawing on something plastic in our house.

but seriously, You think the V2 is extremely quiet? I was under the impression it was significantly louder than the v1, which IMO is the quietest cube ever.

So it sounds like something matters. It seems the question is what cube has good M moves.
I have both and think the v2 is noticeably louder but I haven’t done any decibel tests. Do you have any cube recommendations for Roux?

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have both and think the v2 is noticeably louder but I haven’t done any decibel tests. Do you have any cube recommendations for Roux?
I have never done a roux solve but my original tengyun has great M slices and since the magnets are lighter I believe that contributes to that particular feel. Analogously but with the qualifier I’m not a roux solver is my new GuHong v4. I did notice how effortless and smooth my M based Z & H perms are to execute when I first got it.

Rainger

I have never done a roux solve but my original tengyun has great M slices and since the magnets are lighter I believe that contributes to that particular feel. Analogously but with the qualifier I’m not a roux solver is my new GuHong v4. I did notice how effortless and smooth my M based Z & H perms are to execute when I first got it.
If you had to say between the GuHong and the Tengyun cubes which one M slices better and which one do you prefer in general?

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you had to say between the GuHong and the Tengyun cubes which one M slices better and which one do you prefer in general?
Regarding ease of M slices, definitely the Tengyun. I just did a bunch of H, Z & U perms on my GuHong and it wasn't as effortless as I originally thought after a side by side comparison. So take that recommendation with a grain of salt. The Tengyun on the other hand never disappoints in this category.

In general also the Tenguyn. I am really enjoying the GuHong for speed solving right now and it's super light feel is really agreeing with my turning style; i've done hundreds of solves on it lately and its been my main over the last few weeks. I mainly use my Tengyun for casual and BLD because of how quiet it is; not sure why i've restricted it like that in retrospect.

Rainger

Regarding ease of M slices, definitely the Tengyun. I just did a bunch of H, Z & U perms on my GuHong and it wasn't as effortless as I originally thought after a side by side comparison. So take that recommendation with a grain of salt. The Tengyun on the other hand never disappoints in this category.

In general also the Tenguyn. I am really enjoying the GuHong for speed solving right now and it's super light feel is really agreeing with my turning style; i've done hundreds of solves on it lately and its been my main over the last few weeks. I mainly use my Tengyun for casual and BLD because of how quiet it is; not sure why i've restricted it like that in retrospect.
I love my tengyun v1, it turns so easy and is so quiet. I’d love to try the guhong out too after I saw some first reviews recently.