• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

zslane

Yeah, being a well-known name brand is not automatically an indicator of quality or performance. It helps to see what experienced cubers are using as their mains. I think if you look back at the past 3-5 years of YouTube videos, only a few brands stand out as being mained frequently by them, and those name brands are the ones whose products have made a contemporary impact in the hobby. That's why you generally can't go wrong with a Moyu, Qiyi, or GAN cube, whereas you'll probably be disappointed by a Rubik's.

swburk

I'm not sure you get the idea that Gan is "name brand" and other companies are not. Technically, Rubik's is name brand.

I think on a very simple level, Gan is "name-brand" in the same way Rubik's is, which is that the name of the brand is right on the puzzle. Most other companies have a Chinese logo on a sticker that can be peeled off.

Obviously other cubing companies are well-known and well-regarded, but many of them have sub brands. YJ and MGC, Moyu and Meilong, Yuxin and Little Magic, Qiyi and Valk. Sure, most cubers know what companies make those cubes, but they aren't always referred to by the brand as much as the line.

Those companies also produce a wide range of puzzles that vary in build and performance quality. Gan's puzzles are overpriced, and people joke about Gan having stupid name schemes, but they have their branding and puzzle quality down, and I think they are probably the safest bet if you just want to get a really good cube without doing any research.

cuber314159

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther...
WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Aight boys important question

GTS3M or WRM2020?

Need good magnet strength and good corner cutting.
WRM 2020, it has a medium magnet strength that suits most people and performs very nicely, the GTS3M is a bit outdated and comes with ridges which take time to get used to, there is also a lighter magnetic version though.

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Obviously other cubing companies are well-known and well-regarded, but many of them have sub brands. YJ and MGC, Moyu and Meilong, Yuxin and Little Magic, Qiyi and Valk. Sure, most cubers know what companies make those cubes, but they aren't always referred to by the brand as much as the line.
Gan and Monster Go.

EDIT: whoops sorry for the double post!

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not sure you get the idea that Gan is "name brand" and other companies are not. Technically, Rubik's is name brand.
I agree, another problem I have with your name brand argument is there are 3-4 other companies doing all the cubes Gan does plus more. It’s like calling McDonald’s the only name brand burger chain. Sure, it’s the most popular, but there is also stuff like Wendy’s, In-N-Out, Carl’s Jr, and more than are doing the same thing, in the opinion of many, better.

Itsmafy

Aight boys important question

GTS3M or WRM2020?

Need good magnet strength and good corner cutting.
The GTS3M definetly has stronger magnets and both cubes have good enough corner cutting.

In my opinion the main aspect to compare between those cubes is the size and the fact that the GTS3M has ridges.

Mody

I can’t pick between the valk elite and wrm 2020

Hey guys so I used to have a wrm but it broke
So I need to get a new main But I can’t pick between the valk elite or the wrm 2020
If anyone has both can you tel me your preference
Thnx in advance

Spacey10

YouTube
Visit Channel

So I need to get a new main But I can’t pick between the valk elite or the wrm 2020
Thnx in advance
Probably wrm

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel

Thnx in advance
Out of those two I think 95% of people would prefer the wrm2020. However, if you want something that's cheaper and just as good, the RS3M2020 is a great buy.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel

Thnx in advance
Get an original valk M and a RS3 2020. Both cubes combined are cheaper than either product at have similar if not better performance.