• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

PetraPine

YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't think it's a conspiracy so much as top flagship cubes mainly differentiate themselves by feel, and I can believe that if you are a top cuber who averages sub 7 or something than the feel does matter enough for practicing and competitions to justify the cost. I'm slow but I find myself practicing a lot more with cubes I like the feel of.
i said slower cubers,
not fast ones
also that was a simi-joke
and if you're slower and use a gan(and have used other flagships before)
than 90% of the time you wont like the feel,
but people in videos even though they aren't sub 10 or sub 15 or whatever like gan cubes a lot more than you would think.

D

Deleted member 54663

full disclosure: I don't own a GAN cube. I tried my friend's Angstrom GAN X and it was very light and papery. I couldn't get a full opinion on it because he had his magnets set really strong but I don't think they are significantly better than other top cubes. I liked his GTS3M better
I couldn't help notice, but very nice pic of trump holding a curvy copter.

PetraPine

YouTube
Visit Channel
ppl think its gonna be almost $100 so if u want a really good gan cube just buy the xs. if i were u i'd stick with your current cube
People are literally gonna spend 100 dollars on a single ROOBIKS COOBE
i mean that's ridiculous, the xs was 60(or 70 i dont remember) when i released i thought that was expensive but still reasonable.
100? even 80 seems crazy to me, but a wii instead they sell around 90 today(much better value)

zslane

People have spent more than $100 on flagship cubes with "pro shop" setups, so I guess spending that kind of money on a single 3x3 puzzle is not that crazy, at least not to everyone. I think I would have difficulty spending that much on a single cube unless it had some kind of high collectability factor or something, but to each their own.

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
People have spent more than $100 on flagship cubes with "pro shop" setups, so I guess spending that kind of money on a single 3x3 puzzle is not that crazy, at least not to everyone. I think I would have difficulty spending that much on a single cube unless it had some kind of high collectability factor or something, but to each their own.
I can't find a single premium cube on The Cubicle for more than 70 dollars.

MarkA64

I probably won't buy the 11 just for corner magnets and a new feel; the X and XS are fine and I main the Qiyi MS right now which you can get set-up for like $25.

I'm A Cuber

Do people actually think they are going to sell it for $100, or are they just joking? I don’t think that kind of price hike would happen in such a short amount of time. I think that $70 would be the most they would increase the price to. Anything more, and their sales would absolutely plummet.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Official price is out: $65-$70 for the new Gan 11 M Pro, depending on what finish you choose.
Wait a minute, does this mean that the cubing companies finally...

actually listened to us about glossy plastic?
They probably have the mindset that if something is expensive, then it's good.
Very true. At comps I’ve been to, the bottom 25% of competitors used around 85-90% of all the Gan cubes used in competition. It’s basically like seeing a supreme logo on a cube and assuming that, since it’s “hype”, that it’s the best. I’ve only used 1 Gan cube in competition, the 354 for oh, and aside from that one round I’ve never used one since. The 354 v1 IMO was the last good Gan cube but I’ll stop myself there before I go off on a tangent. Back to the slow cubers and Gan cubes, most of the slower cubers don’t try other cubes to see what fits them best, they see what people like faz use and assume it’s automatically the best for everyone

New Cubers, don’t just buy the most expensive or most popular cube and assume it’s the best, go to a competition once they return and try some cubes there to see what you like.

SpeedyCube

At comps I’ve been to, the bottom 25% of competitors used around 85-90% of all the Gan cubes used in competition. It’s basically like seeing a supreme logo on a cube and assuming that, since it’s “hype”, that it’s the best. I’ve only used 1 Gan cube in competition, the 354 for oh, and aside from that one round I’ve never used one since. The 354 v1 IMO was the last good Gan cube but I’ll stop myself there before I go off on a tangent. Back to the slow cubers and Gan cubes, most of the slower cubers don’t try other cubes to see what fits them best, they see what people like faz use and assume it’s automatically the best for everyone

New Cubers, don’t just buy the most expensive or most popular cube and assume it’s the best, go to a competition once they return and try some cubes there to see what you like.

I completely agree, but with one comment to add. There’s a reason why name-brand stuff is name-brand, in any industry. It generally means it’s a really good product! In this case I don’t think anyone would debate the fact that a $65 dollar Gan cube is a good cube. The debate comes from, is it the best cube for your particular situation? Your point of not automatically jumping on the name-brand bandwagon is a good one. But... for someone who wants a good cube and is not able to go to a comp or club, buying the name-brand cube (Gan) is a reasonable bet that you’ll get a very nice cube.

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I completely agree, but with one comment to add. There’s a reason why name-brand stuff is name-brand, in any industry. It generally means it’s a really good product! In this case I don’t think anyone would debate the fact that a $65 dollar Gan cube is a good cube. The debate comes from, is it the best cube for your particular situation? Your point of not automatically jumping on the name-brand bandwagon is a good one. But... for someone who wants a good cube and is not able to go to a comp or club, buying the name-brand cube (Gan) is a reasonable bet that you’ll get a very nice cube.
I'm not sure you get the idea that Gan is "name brand" and other companies are not. Technically, Rubik's is name brand.