• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

zslane

Ok, so I want to get back into cubing after approx. 2 years. I have a broken Gan Air SM so im looking for a 3x3, i've narrowed it down to two options. The Meilong M with the custom service from my country's online speed cubing shop and 2 types of lubes or the factory RS3M 2020 with the same two lubes. The prices of both are the same. I'm leaning towards the RS3M because of the compression system but i really don't know. Help? ;)

I would recommend the Meilong 3M if you like magnets with a slightly more pronounced tactility. The RS3M 2020 looks and feels almost exactly the same as the Meilong except its magnets are weaker, and you may not feel their impact very much.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
k thanks-btw I got yuxin little magic squan m- is it good?
It’s the second best squan I think
I would recommend the Meilong 3M if you like magnets with a slightly more pronounced tactility. The RS3M 2020 looks and feels almost exactly the same as the Meilong except its magnets are weaker, and you may not feel their impact very much.
You can get extra magnets though

Spacey10

YouTube
Visit Channel
True. But modding is a pain, IMO, and can be avoided if you pick a cube that has decent magnet strength to begin with. After all, he's having it lubed for him so he doesn't have to right away. I get the impression that he wants it to feel good right out of the box, which I can relate to.
Umm, you don't mod it at all, you don't even need glue!
Just take apart the cube, and break divide the edges and corners, put the magnet on, and boom, done!

zslane

Umm, you don't mod it at all, you don't even need glue!
Just take apart the cube, and break divide the edges and corners, put the magnet on, and boom, done!

To my mind, if you have to break the pieces apart and add hardware, then that's modding. Regardless of what you choose to call it, I suspect that @AcuberCubes doesn't want to have to do it. Just a guess though.

zslane

If AcuberCubes has very specific tensioning requirements and would need to do a lot of fine tuning in that department, then yeah, the RS3M's adjustment system may be worth the price of weaker magnets (and hey, he may even like weaker magnets).

However, for a budget cube that had magnets of average strength (which I prefer; not too strong and not too weak) and which required absolutely no adjustments right out of the box, I found the Meilong 3M to be the better choice, at least for me.

Sure, it's nice to know I can adjust tension on the RS3M without having to swap springs, but at this point the only reason I will be popping the caps off it will be to lube the springs so they don't make that annoying "crinkle" noise. And oftentimes I've found that these fancy adjustment systems just get in the way of lubing the springs.

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
True. But modding is a pain, IMO, and can be avoided if you pick a cube that has decent magnet strength to begin with. After all, he's having it lubed for him so he doesn't have to right away. I get the impression that he wants it to feel good right out of the box, which I can relate to.
Yeah but adding magnets to the RS3M literally takes like 5 minutes and requires no tools other than maybe the tensioning tool. It's incredibly easy.

And some places sell it with extra magnets already installed.