• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
I don't know where to ask this, but it has to do with getting cubes, so I figured I'd ask it here. This may sound stupid, but when someone says "Bump" when they're selling cubes on the forums, what does it mean?

"Bump" is something people will post to try to keep a thread from dying, that way more people will see it. It also isn't just for selling puzzles, but for any thread.

js5752

I'm looking to make a calendar cube. I know I can get the stickers from Oscars, but I don't know what cube to use. Most of my cube are GANS and the rounded center would not work well. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Jeff

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can't you just buy one? I just got mine off of Amazon, and it's great!
Can you provide the link to the one you like from amazon? There’s a lot junk and plenty of cubes people on this site would find very unpleasant to turn. I’m also trying to find or make a smooth turning calendar cube but am concerned about the sticker / piece shape compatibility. Thanks

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
^^sorry to double post. I have a lot of old cube4you and cube smith sticker sets I’d like to use up. What’s a good modern smooth turning cube that has relatively squared off pieces that older sticker sets can be applied to without needing to cut/modify the stickers?

The Th
^^sorry to double post. I have a lot of old cube4you and cube smith sticker sets I’d like to use up. What’s a good modern smooth turning cube that has relatively squared off pieces that older sticker sets can be applied to without needing to cut/modify the stickers?
The thunderclap V3 M looks fine.

js5752

I looked on Amazon and saw a calendar cube going for around $30.
That seemed a bit on the high side I thought. Cheap cube plus inexpensive stickers, I could make a couple for less than 30.

-Jeff

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
Can you provide the link to the one you like from amazon? There’s a lot junk and plenty of cubes people on this site would find very unpleasant to turn. I’m also trying to find or make a smooth turning calendar cube but am concerned about the sticker / piece shape compatibility. Thanks
Mine turns very well, actually!
Here a link to a black plastic one... : https://www.amazon.com/Calendar-Pic...ds=calendar+rubiks+cube&qid=1579126662&sr=8-2
...and a white plastic one: https://www.amazon.com/Calendar-Pic...ds=calendar+rubiks+cube&qid=1579126713&sr=8-4
(Geez, Amazon has long URL's...)

cubingpc

Hi Cubers,

I used to play with a Rubik's cube many years ago as a kid. I remember back then, that the cube I played with had a satisfying, distinct, clicking sound on every turn.

Now, after many years, I've been drawn back to trying to solve a Rubik's cube... So I recently purchased an original Rubik's - but to my surprise, there isn't a clicking mechanism (i.e. to "lock" the turn in place). It now seems I have to perfectly align the sides as it's so smooth.

So I'm just wondering really, where can I find the cube with the clicking mechanism? I have searched online, but struggling to come across it.

Many thanks in advance.

The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multi stage...
Hi Cubers,

I used to play with a Rubik's cube many years ago as a kid. I remember back then, that the cube I played with had a satisfying, distinct, clicking sound on every turn.

Now, after many years, I've been drawn back to trying to solve a Rubik's cube... So I recently purchased an original Rubik's - but to my surprise, there isn't a clicking mechanism (i.e. to "lock" the turn in place). It now seems I have to perfectly align the sides as it's so smooth.

So I'm just wondering really, where can I find the cube with the clicking mechanism? I have searched online, but struggling to come across it.

Many thanks in advance.
So cool that you’re getting back into it!
The clicking mechanism is nice to have, but it makes most cubes slow and was only a thing because those cubes weren’t able to really function otherwise. Nowadays, to make up for that, the cubes are smooth, but the cubes have something called corner cutting. Corner cutting is when you turn an opposite face of the cube when it isn’t perfectly aligned, using a bit of force to make it happen. Most cubes will corner cut at 45 degrees nowadays.

If you find cornercutting to be too jarring (and keep in mind, the mechanism I’m about to talk about is not to replace, but rather to aid corner cutting) you can get a magnetic Rubik’s Cube. These cubes have magnets in the pieces to help align the cube, similar to what you were talking about. I enjoy them and it makes it much easier to be consistent with your turning. I would recommend the YJ Yulong V2 M or perhaps the MF3RS3M if you’re not looking to spend too much. If you are willing to spend a bit more, the cubes will be somewhat more refined and have a particular feel that some people really like. (You should be able to find all manner of Rubik’s Cubes on The Cubicle, they have a nice selection and very good service).

One last thing- in case you weren’t aware, Rubik’s Cubes made by Rubik’s are considered to be of poor quality. There are other companies that make straight up better cubes. If you want to get a Rubik’s Brand for nostalgia, go right ahead! But generally they are over priced and aren’t very good, making it a better idea to get one from another company (Moyu, Qiyi, Yuxin, or GAN) if you want to enjoy what you’re doing.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that the clicking mechanism doesn’t really exist anymore, because it is directly inferior to what we use today. The magnets should help you, and I find them to be satisfying in much the same way, but if you like the clicking feel then you might want to go for a cube with particularly strong magnets.

Last edited: