• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Eelephant

If you want to go for looks rather than speedsolving, the fisher cube and the windmill cube are simple 3x3 shape mods, not too difficult to solve, that look pretty neat.
Well, it's not "looks" I seek, but an interesting solve. Although, I suppose if it looks cool at the same time, bonus! Thanks for the suggestions!

WCA
2013BARK01
All the things mentioned before were good suggestions. I just want to mention my opinion about big cubes, as someone who kinda went down that rabbit hole (I have up to 9x9).

If you're not sure, don't get 6 and 7 unless you feel like you have enough money for it to be worth it (since they're more expensive, you could get other cubes for the same price.) But I think if you keep taking cubing seriously, you'll likely end up getting 6 and probably 7 at some point too. If they really aren't your thing, don't bother getting 8, 9, etc. like I did. See picture of where my 8x8 and 9x9 have been for several months:

IMG_20180327_191452204.jpg

Yeah, hiding in the dark behind some random 5x5s

Last edited:

Hazel

Premium Member
All the things mentioned before were good suggestions. I just want to mention my opinion about big cubes, as someone who kinda went down that rabbit hole (I have up to 9x9).

If you're not sure, don't get 6 and 7 unless you feel like you have enough money for it to be worth it (since they're more expensive, you could get other cubes for the same price.) But I think if you keep taking cubing seriously, you'll likely end up getting 6 and probably 7 at some point too. If they really aren't your thing, don't bother getting 8, 9, etc. like I did. See picture of where my 8x8 and 9x9 have been for several months:

View attachment 8972

Yeah, hiding in the dark behind some random 5x5s
I agree, I've gotten a 13x13 and 11x11 and I never use them. I like trying to speedsolve my 9x9 every now and then though.
EDIT: the FangShi Limcube 2x2 transform pyraminx isn't too hard to figure out but it's a really fun solve!

Alrighty. I currently have a weilong gts2m. I'm thinking of getting another or a gan 356 air um. Money isnt an issue but I'm after speed, magnets, corner cutting, smooth turning and easy cleaning/ lubing.

Looking at another cube to get. I already have the weilong gts2m, and I'd happily buy another one, but I've also been looking at the gan 365 air sm. Anyone have any thoughts of which would be best? Money isn't an issue. For reference I do love the gts2m.

xyzzy

Looking at another cube to get. I already have the weilong gts2m, and I'd happily buy another one, but I've also been looking at the gan 365 air sm. Anyone have any thoughts of which would be best? Money isn't an issue. For reference I do love the gts2m.
Why do you want another cube?

If you specifically want a cube that feels pretty much exactly the same as what you already have, then sure, get another GTS2M. I personally would rather go for variety and get the SM instead, however. (I mean, that's assuming money literally isn't an issue; the SM is like twice as expensive as the GTS2M.)

Why do you want another cube?

If you specifically want a cube that feels pretty much exactly the same as what you already have, then sure, get another GTS2M. I personally would rather go for variety and get the SM instead, however. (I mean, that's assuming money literally isn't an issue; the SM is like twice as expensive as the GTS2M.)
Well I need to lube my gts2m as is, so I figure I'll get some dnm 357 and while I'm at it get another cube. Old one for travel and work, new one for home. I was thinking of getting a square 1 though for some variety, but that's a aeperate issue. I do like the gts2m and from reading the sm seems similar but a little smoother. Idk.

babu2014

Hey all, I took a pretty big break from cubing and would like to get back into it. With the technology constanstantlt changing, what would you say the best 2x2 and 3x3s are? just wanna get my cube up to date. thanks

Hazel

Premium Member
The best 2x2's are probaby the QiYi WuXia and the MoYu WeiPo, the magnetic versions are also very good. As for 3x3, the best on the market are the QiYi Valk 3, the QiYi Valk 3 Power, the GAN356 Air S, and the MoYu WeiLong GTS2 (and the magnetic versions of all those cubes).

Duncan Bannon

Those cubes are higher end cubes. I personally use a fast MF2S with cubicle lube service. I prefer it to my Wuxia M, Weipo and Xinghen M. For 3x3 I use a Qiyi Warrior W M that I made. It beats my GTS2M Lite. These budget cubes are accually my favorite, some fast people really like the cubicle Mf3RS2M. Again a budget cube. However “most” people do prefer the cubes above. I just prefer mine. So if you have a budget, I recommend gettting those. The Yuxin Little Magic is really good too.

Sion

I need to know if there is a 3x3 speedcube that stays smooth after excessive break-in. For some reason, all of the cubes I order go bumpy after twenty or so solves.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
I need to know if there is a 3x3 speedcube that stays smooth after excessive break-in. For some reason, all of the cubes I order go bumpy after twenty or so solves.
I do not really know how bumpy you like the cube verses not liking the bumpy feel, but my best recommendation that I have for a 3x3 that stays really smooth after break in, is the Valk Power M. I have done about 400-500 solves these last few months with it and with it now being pretty well broken in, it still has the same smooth feeling like it had when I got it new back in January.
But just so I am clear there is a bumpy feel, but that is because of the magnets, so I think that if you get the non-magnetized version the bumpiness will be almost non-existent, or at least have a very minor bumpy feel.