• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cristobal

QiYi Sail is supposed to be pretty decent but I don't have one so can't vouch for that. My favorite cheap cube is the ChiLong at around $5 from cubezz.

Ok, I ordered a Qiyi Sail at Lightake, 3.20$ (shipping to the UK included). We'll see!

jort93

I only have a 1€ cube. i kinda want a better one

Well i only have this shi* cube. Which cube would you guys recommend to me? i never really tried any cubes other then this one or rubik's brand ones(which are way better then this one). i woul have no problem spending 20$ on one. it seems like most cubes are around 15$ which isn't much of a problem. and dont ask me if i prefer a clicky or a butter smooth one or whatever. i seriously have no clue whatsoever.

hkpnkp

Well i only have this shi* cube. Which cube would you guys recommend to me? i never really tried any cubes other then this one or rubik's brand ones(which are way better then this one). i woul have no problem spending 20$ on one. it seems like most cubes are around 15$ which isn't much of a problem. and dont ask me if i prefer a clicky or a butter smooth one or whatever. i seriously have no clue whatsoever.

guoguan yuexiao

rajanreddy188

I would recommend the Cyclone Boys 2x2. It is cheap, amazingly fast, and one of the best 2x2's on the market.

rajanreddy188

You should get a Dayan Zhanchi. They are really nice out of the box, corner cut really well, and are very fast. It is currently my main and I average about 35 seconds with it. It is definitely better than a Rubiks brand!

NewCuber000

WCA
2014BOUD01
I'm trying to buy a new 3x3 and I've watched tons of reviews, but I'm still struggling on which cube to buy. There's good and bad reviews for every cube. Right now, I think I'm stuck between 4 cubes that seem to fit my turning style: The Qiyi Thunderclap, the Yuxin, The Aolong V2, and the congs design mieying. I figured theres many people on these forums who have tried all of these cubes. Here are some notes for what I like in a cube (If you feel another cube better suits me, feel free to suggest it).

- Money wont be a deciding factor in which cube I choose.
- I'm Sub-12 and I like cubes that are smooth and fast.
- I'm a pretty rough turner so the corner cutting should be good.
- I didn't like the way my Dayan Zhanchi or Moyu Hualong broke in. both cubes were great out of the box and after a month or two ended up getting really slow and sluggish, and I don't want this to happen to another one of my cubes.
- I had an aolong v1 and really liked it but I used jigaloo back then and ruined the inside :p but I really liked its speed.
-I had an Aolong v2 old plastic, which I still use because all of my cubes are bad right now besides my dads hualong that's not broken in too bad yet. Is the glossy plastic really that much different and faster?
-I've tried someone elses tanglong and it has a really odd feel that I dont like and I can't describe. Maybe it was just tight. (The cube was really together, and didnt flex at all... I think a cube should have at least a bit of flex)

gateway cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm trying to buy a new 3x3 and I've watched tons of reviews, but I'm still struggling on which cube to buy. There's good and bad reviews for every cube. Right now, I think I'm stuck between 4 cubes that seem to fit my turning style: The Qiyi Thunderclap, the Yuxin, The Aolong V2, and the congs design mieying. I figured theres many people on these forums who have tried all of these cubes. Here are some notes for what I like in a cube (If you feel another cube better suits me, feel free to suggest it).

- Money wont be a deciding factor in which cube I choose.
- I'm Sub-12 and I like cubes that are smooth and fast.
- I'm a pretty rough turner so the corner cutting should be good.
- I didn't like the way my Dayan Zhanchi or Moyu Hualong broke in. both cubes were great out of the box and after a month or two ended up getting really slow and sluggish, and I don't want this to happen to another one of my cubes.
- I had an aolong v1 and really liked it but I used jigaloo back then and ruined the inside :p but I really liked its speed.
-I had an Aolong v2 old plastic, which I still use because all of my cubes are bad right now besides my dads hualong that's not broken in too bad yet. Is the glossy plastic really that much different and faster?
-I've tried someone elses tanglong and it has a really odd feel that I dont like and I can't describe. Maybe it was just tight. (The cube was really together, and didnt flex at all... I think a cube should have at least a bit of flex)

It sounds like we have very similar preferences and turning styles and also I wouldn't consider the Yuxin for your turning style, it's not fast enough. I also would mark the meiying off the list because it is a very scratchy cube and you said you want a smooth cube. So that leaves the Thunderclap and the Aolong V2 I would personally choose the Aolong V2 because it's incredibly stable, smooth, and decently fast. However, I'd also recommend the Yuexiao too you, because it is very smooth if set up right and is an especially fast cube, it is also incredibly stable as well. I would however say that the Aolong V2 is more reliable because the Yuexiao has this weird variance between solves performance wise, it's hard to explain but I would still recommend you just buy both the yuexiao and the Aolong V2.

NewCuber000

WCA
2014BOUD01
It sounds like we have very similar preferences and turning styles and also I wouldn't consider the Yuxin for your turning style, it's not fast enough. I also would mark the meiying off the list because it is a very scratchy cube and you said you want a smooth cube. So that leaves the Thunderclap and the Aolong V2 I would personally choose the Aolong V2 because it's incredibly stable, smooth, and decently fast. However, I'd also recommend the Yuexiao too you, because it is very smooth if set up right and is an especially fast cube, it is also incredibly stable as well. I would however say that the Aolong V2 is more reliable because the Yuexiao has this weird variance between solves performance wise, it's hard to explain but I would still recommend you just buy both the yuexiao and the Aolong V2.

Thanks! I'll look at a review of the yuexiao just for fun, but I'll probably go with the Aolong V2. I've seen someone with a yuexiao at my last competition, it looked pretty good.

SimonV

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks! I'll look at a review of the yuexiao just for fun, but I'll probably go with the Aolong V2. I've seen someone with a yuexiao at my last competition, it looked pretty good.
From what i heard the Thunderclap is a little bit better that the Aolong but has a very similar feel, the Thunderclap also is cheaper but that doesn't matter to you if i'm right.
I haven't tried these cubes YET but i based this of MANY reviews and opinions.

gateway cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
From what i heard the Thunderclap is a little bit better that the Aolong but has a very similar feel, the Thunderclap also is cheaper but that doesn't matter to you if i'm right.
I haven't tried these cubes YET but i based this of MANY reviews and opinions.

Yes well, I've tried these and I'm giving him the response I did because we have the sam turning style/cube preference, and the Thunderclap is a nice cube, it just doesn't fall under our category because it flexes a little much and is a tad bit uncontrollable. But yes you could say the Thunderclap is a revamped Aolong, but I'd say it's more of a new kind of Aolong. And NewCuber000 I still recommend either the Aolong V2 or yuexiao, but if you decide on the aolong, set it up with all light viscosity lube and maru lube, because otherwise it won't be fast enough, it would still be decently fast but not fast enough for people like us...

NewCuber000

WCA
2014BOUD01
Ok I know I just asked a question but I'm making a big order and I'm now having a difficult time deciding on a 4x4 (This is the last question I'm asking XD). So is Moyu Aosu an obvious better choice preformance wise over the yuxin, or is it just a matter of opinion? If both cubes are equally as good I'd go with the yuxin and save 12 dollars, but I don't want to sacrifice preformance. I've seen people complain about both cubes so its hard to tell which one is truly better.

willtri4

WCA
2015BELO03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok I know I just asked a question but I'm making a big order and I'm now having a difficult time deciding on a 4x4 (This is the last question I'm asking XD). So is Moyu Aosu an obvious better choice preformance wise over the yuxin, or is it just a matter of opinion? If both cubes are equally as good I'd go with the yuxin and save 12 dollars, but I don't want to sacrifice preformance. I've seen people complain about both cubes so its hard to tell which one is truly better.

Get a Guansu. I don't personally like it, but everyone else seems to love it. I love my Yuxin, but everyone else seems to hate theirs. And Aosu isn't worth the price imo.

ZZTrooper

WCA
2015HOKE01
Get a Guansu. I don't personally like it, but everyone else seems to love it. I love my Yuxin, but everyone else seems to hate theirs. And Aosu isn't worth the price imo.
Or get a guansu and a Yuxin and still have it be cheaper than one aosu. The Aosu I tried at a comp felt nice, but it's a bit bumpier than my friend's yuxin and I prefer the yuxin. The yuxin is smooth and has a soft plastic, whereas the guansu has a hard plastic. It's all a matter of personal preference, but if you really don't know what to get, get both and have another awesome cube as a backup main. The aosu is good but too expensive when you get get the two cubes I mentioned above and get to choose.

Last edited:

dskids

WCA
2017SKID01
Or get a guansu and a Yuxin and still have it he cheaper than one aosu.

This is a decent suggestion. I would NOT recommend getting a GuanSu as your only 4x4. It is fast and stable but very locky. If you are open to a 60mm 4x4, the Mini AoSu and the Cyclone Boys G4 are both pretty popular as well. I found a Mini AoSu on Amazon Prime the other day for < $20.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have an Aosu and a Guansu and I'm buying a CB G4 because I don't like any of those much. The Aosu is a bit heavy to turn and the Guansu, even though it is much lighter it's hard plastic and, as you say, very locky (because of its mediocre corner cutting and lack of flexibility). I hope I'll like the CB or else I'll have to try the Yuxin as well.

dskids

WCA
2017SKID01
I have an Aosu and a Guansu and I'm buying a CB G4 because I don't like any of those much. The Aosu is a bit heavy to turn and the Guansu, even though it is much lighter it's hard plastic and, as you say, very locky (because of its mediocre corner cutting and lack of flexibility). I hope I'll like the CB or else I'll have to try the Yuxin as well.

I just got my YuXin last night. Out of the box, outer layers are awesome but inner layers are painfully heavy and sluggish. As a result, Uw turns separate on me (especially Uw2 flicks) and I'm constantly readjusting the U layer. On the plus side though, the cube is pretty forgiving due to its flex, but not any more so than an AoSu. Great cube for the price, but it wasn't the AoSu replacement I was hoping for.

MoyuFTW

WCA
2015LEEA05
A friend asked me to recommend a speedcube for a year 2 that doesn't pop. Any ideas?
I was thinking of a mini cube since they're so young but there isn't any great mini cubes

TheExtremeTNT

I just started speed cubing and I want to buy a speed cube. I have an average of 1:44 seconds and I want a cube that is smooth and does well in corner cuts. I also want a cube that does not get stuck all the time and does not pop. I've seen a lot of brands like Yulong and aulong but I have not tested any of these. What cube should I get?