• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

dskids

WCA
2017SKID01
Okay, sounds good. Any other people want to chime in before I make my purchase?

Can't go wrong with a TangLong but to answer your original question I think a Thunderclap would be great. I have mine set up to be stable and a little on the slow side, myself.

But that being said, just about any cube on the market is slower than a HuaLong, at least mine anyway. Not sure what your HuaLong is like but mine is like stupid fast, like so fast it will U2 flick just from looking at it the wrong way.

dskids

WCA
2017SKID01
I need some guidance on current 4x4's:

I've been practicing 4x4 a lot lately and currently use the AoSu as my main. I have a GuanSu but even though it is fast, it just locks too much. The AoSu has more flex and is a little more forgiving. Also have a YuXin 4x4 on order from cubezz.

Are the AoSu and YuXin still the "best" 4x4's on the market or are there any others I need to try out? For reference the biggest difficulty I have in 4x4 is locking from slight misalignment of the inner layers during solves, so any cube that mitigates that would be relevant to my interests.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
I need some guidance on current 4x4's:

I've been practicing 4x4 a lot lately and currently use the AoSu as my main. I have a GuanSu but even though it is fast, it just locks too much. The AoSu has more flex and is a little more forgiving. Also have a YuXin 4x4 on order from cubezz.

Are the AoSu and YuXin still the "best" 4x4's on the market or are there any others I need to try out? For reference the biggest difficulty I have in 4x4 is locking from slight misalignment of the inner layers during solves, so any cube that mitigates that would be relevant to my interests.

Wow! What you describe is exactly my experience with the YJ GuanSu. It is so fast and nice to turn, but it's too rigid and when not perfectly aligned it locks up, also due to its mediocre corner cutting (even though I loosened mine by 1/4 of a turn). Meanwhile my Aosu is so nice to turn, flexes a little and feels much more quality plastic but the fact is that it is too heavy to turn so, in the end my times are similar or even slightly better with the Guansu.

Conclusion: I decided to order a CB G4. It is not very expensive and many people say it's one if not the best 4x4 in the market, after some breaking in. I got it in stickerless because I love the bright colours of CB stickerless (I have a 2x2) but hate their dull stickers :) I'm still waiting for it to arrive but I have put high hopes on it. Don't know about the Yuxin, as I don't own one and have not heard much about it either. Hope this helps!

ZZTrooper

WCA
2015HOKE01
Wow! What you describe is exactly my experience with the YJ GuanSu. It is so fast and nice to turn, but it's too rigid and when not perfectly aligned it locks up, also due to its mediocre corner cutting (even though I loosened mine by 1/4 of a turn). Meanwhile my Aosu is so nice to turn, flexes a little and feels much more quality plastic but the fact is that it is too heavy to turn so, in the end my times are similar or even slightly better with the Guansu.

Conclusion: I decided to order a CB G4. It is not very expensive and many people say it's one if not the best 4x4 in the market, after some breaking in. I got it in stickerless because I love the bright colours of CB stickerless (I have a 2x2) but hate their dull stickers :) I'm still waiting for it to arrive but I have put high hopes on it. Don't know about the Yuxin, as I don't own one and have not heard much about it either. Hope this helps!
The CB G4 uses a different, less bright stickerless colour scheme because many people didn't like how the red and the orange contrasted. The scheme is nice and has good contrast, but it is not as blindingly bright. After breaking it in, it is a bit slower than my friend's stickerless yuxin, but feels more stable and definitely less catching.

Last edited:

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
The CB G4 uses a different, less bright stickerless colour scheme because many people didn't like hoy the red and the orange contrasted. The scheme is nice and has good contrast, but it is not as blindingly bright. After breaking it in, it is a bit slower than my friend's stickerless yuxin, but feels more stable and definitely less catching.

Thanks for the info on the stickerless shades. I guess if it has good contrast I will be fine with it. Also interesting what you say about stability and (non)catchiness. Those are two properties I love in a cube so I think my CB and I will become good friends :)

dskids

WCA
2017SKID01

Thanks for the response. Yeah, my experience with AoSu vs. GuanSu is the same as yours although I haven't compared times between them yet. I might give the CB 4x4 a shot then. I don't like stickerless very much but it seems with the CB, most people are going with that version. All my other 4x4's will be black/stickered so maybe one stickerless couldn't hurt...

ALSO, Cubicle now has new batch MeiYu's out.... anyone have experience with the updated MeiYu or are opinions still colored by the first batch mishap?

Nightflaime

Whats the better cube to start with

Hello all. First time here so sorry if this has been answered already I just got into the speedcubing sport I can finish the cube with beginners method and now learning cfop and looking into a speedcube I have a list of 6 cubes I'd like to get or will get all of them over time cubes in question are MoYu Aolong V2, MoYu Aolong GT, Congo Design MeiYing, MoYu Tanglong, Qiyi Sail and GuoGuan Yuexiao so my question is which onever would be the one to start with yes I'm aware of its all about personal preference just looking for input.

Thanks

jaredye

It's hard to give any advice here since it's impossible to predict what you'll like. I would say just get the Yuexiao for 2 reasons. First, it seems it receives broadest acclaim, which mean most people like it and chances are you won't hate it. Second, you probably shouldn't spend a lot of time playing 6 cubes because when you use a cube, you develop cube specific technique. That means you will adjust your turning style to fit the cube. It's better to pick 1 cube and stick with it. As of today I think Yuexiao has the highest potential. That's why a better strategy is to just pick one and just don't look anywhere else.

dskids

WCA
2017SKID01
All the cubes you mentioned are great, but I think the YueXiao and TangLong are the two best beginner-friendly cubes on the market right now.

That said, if I lost my entire cube collection in a fire (God forbid) the first cubes I would re-buy are the YueXiao, Thunderclap, and AoLong V2

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd go with Yuexiao and Tanglong and see which one you like the best as they are quite different. If you want you can also pick either the Aolong v2 or, cheaper and very similar (even a bit better, people say) the QiYi Thunderclap. I'd forget about all the rest.

Nightflaime

Thank you all for your inputs. As I only have a rubik's brand speedcube right now I just wanted to know what other people thought about the above 6 cuses I posted. That being said and the videos I watched I am going to get the GuoGuan Yuexiao.

Cristobal

I have both stickered and unstickered Guanlong, the former looks very flimsy in comparison to the latter.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have both stickered and unstickered Guanlong, the former looks very flimsy in comparison to the latter.

Mine is stickered, from before there was even the stickerless option. I got it just as a cheap way to try Full Fitted stickers from TheCubicle and Chris Olson color scheme with pink instead of red. I like it but I'm sticking to red :)

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
QiYi Sail is supposed to be pretty decent but I don't have one so can't vouch for that. My favorite cheap cube is the ChiLong at around $5 from cubezz.

I have had a Chilong as my main for over a year and I have never stopped liking it... a lot. Right now I use a Tanglong but my old Chilong with thousands of solves on it is still great and among my favorites. But he said under 4 USD that's why I didn't mention the Chilong and neither the Sulong and Yulong.

SimonV

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you all for your inputs. As I only have a rubik's brand speedcube right now I just wanted to know what other people thought about the above 6 cuses I posted. That being said and the videos I watched I am going to get the GuoGuan Yuexiao.
I currently also only have a rubik's speedcube but my YueXiao is on the way !