• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Isaac Lai

WCA
2015LAII01
I use the aolong v2. it is PERFECT! I might try a Gans 356 soon but I highly doubt it will be as good.

Ok about the Gans 356. I noticed that some people ( Faz, Gabriel Dechichi, me, a lot of other ppl) absolutely love this cube, but others say it sucks. And I think it is just down to how lucky you are. For example, my friend and I each ordered a Gans 356. Mine felt awesome, but his was pretty bad. Mine did not have any catches or lockups, but his was the exact opposite.

So, getting the Gans 356 is a gamble. You either love it or hate it. Fortunately, I loved it. XD

Aaron Lau

I heard the hualong misaligned due to its 'unstableness'.
when and if it does that, does it lock up when turning?

richardye1

Hi, im a cuber who isnt satisfied with their current cube
extra info: i average 14.x-15.x depending on the day. I have a hualong, aolong v1, v2 old plastic, v2 new batch, weilong, shuangren, zhanchi and a rubiks brand.
This year, i practiced with a guanlong from jan-may (averaged 16-17), then i switched to the fangshi shuangren, which i did not like at all. It constantly locked up on me and i did not appreciate its lack of corner cutting. I also lubed it to make it slower but that did not help. Then i went to an aolong v2 old plastic from may-today. Today its very broken in, maybe 30,000 solves, it feels really smooth and its gotten me the good times and averages, but i feel as if it is a bit sluggish and it locks up a lot. Then recently, i got to play with a hualong. I felt that it was too fast at first like my fangshi but later i lubed it and it became slower, but in the end i still thought it was too uncontrollable, making me lock up a lot. THe corner cutting on the hualong is okay, but seems to be worse than my aolong. THen i went back to my aolong v2 old plastic. My turning style is rough, definetely.
From this, i have many questions. First, if i took the time and effort (which i will not) to break in my aolong v2 new plastic, do you think i would yield better results, or is there a better cube out there that wouuld suit my needs. im thinking yuxin, gans 357, and the congs design. thanks

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi, im a cuber who isnt satisfied with their current cube
extra info: i average 14.x-15.x depending on the day. I have a hualong, aolong v1, v2 old plastic, v2 new batch, weilong, shuangren, zhanchi and a rubiks brand.
This year, i practiced with a guanlong from jan-may (averaged 16-17), then i switched to the fangshi shuangren, which i did not like at all. It constantly locked up on me and i did not appreciate its lack of corner cutting. I also lubed it to make it slower but that did not help. Then i went to an aolong v2 old plastic from may-today. Today its very broken in, maybe 30,000 solves, it feels really smooth and its gotten me the good times and averages, but i feel as if it is a bit sluggish and it locks up a lot. Then recently, i got to play with a hualong. I felt that it was too fast at first like my fangshi but later i lubed it and it became slower, but in the end i still thought it was too uncontrollable, making me lock up a lot. THe corner cutting on the hualong is okay, but seems to be worse than my aolong. THen i went back to my aolong v2 old plastic. My turning style is rough, definetely.
From this, i have many questions. First, if i took the time and effort (which i will not) to break in my aolong v2 new plastic, do you think i would yield better results, or is there a better cube out there that wouuld suit my needs. im thinking yuxin, gans 357, and the congs design. thanks

I'd go with Cong's design. The YueYing is a bit more controllable and blockier (Although usually the caps need to be glued on). The MeiYing is quite a bit faster and looser. The MeiYing is my current main... and I've tried practically all major cubes out there.

NooberCuber

I'm looking for a different 4x4 to try.

Right now my main is a regular Aosu with Dayan springs.
However, since the springs are shorter the corner cutting is decreased which causes lockups occasionally.
The speed is wonderful so I've just adapted my turning style.

anyway, I'm wondering whether to try the mini Aosu or the Yuxin
I've heard the mini is slow but i was going to try dayan or weisu springs in it
I've also heard the Yuxin catches sometimes but is still nice. If it was too slow I would try different springs.

anyway, which one should I go for?
The size of the Aosu is sometimes and issue for me especially with A perms :(

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm just coming back from a few year break, everyone used to use Zhanchi's, if I were to buy 2 or 3 popular newer cubes to try them out, what would they be... And is there a certain 'everyone uses this' cube at the moment? Thanks.

Phinagin

WCA
2015PATT04
I'm just coming back from a few year break, everyone used to use Zhanchi's, if I were to buy 2 or 3 popular newer cubes to try them out, what would they be... And is there a certain 'everyone uses this' cube at the moment? Thanks.

Moyu Hualong is a favourite of many, some people say the cube is a bit unstable.
Moyu Aolong V2 is older than hualong but many people still use it as their main cube.
Gans 356 is another relatively new cube that many people seem to enjoy.
Yuxin 3x3 is also a really good 3x3 that you could swap for the gans 356 cube,as it is a little pricey.
The way the 3x3 market is right now is much different from when you had quit cubing. Back then everyone use zhanchis, but now there are many great 3x3, it is all personal choice.

Last edited:

arshadzohan

a moyu aulong v2 is good for speed and a fangshi is better in control.you can buy the dayan zanchi which is not too fast/slow.
i really want a moyu i have fangshi but i really need a moyu.

EvilGnome6

Premium Member
WCA
2014DECO01
I'm looking for a different 4x4 to try.

Right now my main is a regular Aosu with Dayan springs.
However, since the springs are shorter the corner cutting is decreased which causes lockups occasionally.
The speed is wonderful so I've just adapted my turning style.

anyway, I'm wondering whether to try the mini Aosu or the Yuxin
I've heard the mini is slow but i was going to try dayan or weisu springs in it
I've also heard the Yuxin catches sometimes but is still nice. If it was too slow I would try different springs.

anyway, which one should I go for?
The size of the Aosu is sometimes and issue for me especially with A perms :(

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

The YuXin is definitely not slow. The outer layers are shockingly fast and buttery for a 4x4. The inner layers are a little slower but not sluggish like the Mini AoSu. The YuXin does have a tendency to get catchy on the outer layers and I have yet to find the perfect tension to prevent that.

I just picked up a the Cyclone Boys G4 and it's surprisingly good. It's a bit more blocky but that makes it feel very stable. The outer layers are also less catchy than either the AoSu or the YuXin but I'm getting some catching on the inner layers. The AoSu had similar issues but that went away with breaking in so I'm hoping for the same with the G4.

Sorry. Those really aren't answers. My recommendation: if you have enough money for a Mini AoSu, then get the Cyclone Boys G4 and the YuXin 4x4. :)

dboeren

How fast are you? Some cubes are more controllable and better for slower cubers and others are very fast but you need better control to use them.

Phinagin's list is pretty good, I would add the Cong's cubes - Yueying (controllable) and Meiying (faster/less stable) to that list as well. If you do Roux, several of the good Roux guys seems to recommend the Weilong v2. Even though it's a bit older cube it seems to fit that method (good M slicing, stable...)

As a beginner, I bought an Aolong v2, Yueying, and Yuxin to try out. I really like the Aolong v2 and Yueying, but don't like the Yuxin much. Maybe when I improve...

tyleony

I just got back into cubing after a couple years. I am currently using a Zhanchi as that was the best cube last time I was cubing, but it looks like the market is way different now. I've gone through a few cube reviews (and watched a mega-comparison video :p) and am trying to decide what to get. So far, I've decided on getting a Yuxin 4x4. I'm trying to decide what 3x3's to get as there seems to be a ridiculously large amount of options. Right now I'm leaning towards to HuaLong, but I'm undecided and want to buy about 3 3x3x3's. Any suggestions?

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just got back into cubing after a couple years. I am currently using a Zhanchi as that was the best cube last time I was cubing, but it looks like the market is way different now. I've gone through a few cube reviews (and watched a mega-comparison video :p) and am trying to decide what to get. So far, I've decided on getting a Yuxin 4x4. I'm trying to decide what 3x3's to get as there seems to be a ridiculously large amount of options. Right now I'm leaning towards to HuaLong, but I'm undecided and want to buy about 3 3x3x3's. Any suggestions?

I say if you want to try a variety get a AoLong, Gans 357 and Congs Design MeiYing. That will give you the most popular cube as of late that is controllable/all around, 357 will be fast and loose, and MeiYing is a mix of fast but controllable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dboeren

I bought an Aolong v2, Yueying, and Yuxin 3x3 in a similar situation. Hualong, Meiying, and Gans 356 or 357 are also popular cubes. Hard to go wrong with any three you decide to pick really - it's not like a few years ago where the Zhanchi was "the" cube to have.

You may also want to check out http://www.speedcubereview.com.