• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

orangelegoman

Hi, I just wanted to try out one of the older diy cubes which I will get from lightake.com
I just want to know which cube is the best out of these:

Type A 1st Gen DIY
Type A 2nd Gen DIY
Type C DIY
Or a Cube4you DIY I will get at cube4you.com

Note that I already have higher end speedcubes and I just want to try one of these cubes out, and also I will be lubing the cube with Jig a loo. So which one is the overall best lubed with jigaloo?

Last edited:

JeLe

Lender cube

I have a bit of an odd question. I'm not really looking for a cube for myself, as I'm perfectly happy with my cubes, but a cube for others. I've found that as I progress more with cubing, more of my friends want to want to borrow a cube of mine to try it out, but I only have one "cheap" cube that I'm not afraid to lend out.
So I'm looking for a cube that I could easily lend out. Inexpensive, so I can buy several of them and won't have to worry about them getting ruined, turning that is good and smooth so it's fun to use, and fast enough for me to use (as a speedcuber) but not too fast so someone solving it for the first time can use it as well.
Oh, and mini-size would be a plus too, so it's less expensive and more portable.
I've thought about some of the older Shengshou 3x3s, or the Alpha cubes. I don't know about the GuanLong; I think it might be too fast for a first-timer, and since I already have the SuLong it would be like buying a cube I already have. Are there any other good recommendations for "lender" cubes?
Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a bit of an odd question. I'm not really looking for a cube for myself, as I'm perfectly happy with my cubes, but a cube for others. I've found that as I progress more with cubing, more of my friends want to want to borrow a cube of mine to try it out, but I only have one "cheap" cube that I'm not afraid to lend out.
So I'm looking for a cube that I could easily lend out. Inexpensive, so I can buy several of them and won't have to worry about them getting ruined, turning that is good and smooth so it's fun to use, and fast enough for me to use (as a speedcuber) but not too fast so someone solving it for the first time can use it as well.
Oh, and mini-size would be a plus too, so it's less expensive and more portable.
I've thought about some of the older Shengshou 3x3s, or the Alpha cubes. I don't know about the GuanLong; I think it might be too fast for a first-timer, and since I already have the SuLong it would be like buying a cube I already have. Are there any other good recommendations for "lender" cubes?
Thanks a lot.

I'd say GuanLong or even Sulong, which you already have and right now is dirt-cheap also. In not, you can find the Shengshou Wind or, if you want a "portable" cube, the Linglong (46mm) and also very cheap both of them right now. Even the Aurora can be found for less that 4 bucks.

Zeix

I'm currently looking for a good 2x2 speedcube! I have seen that the Dayan 2x2 , Moyu Lingpo and Wittwo v1 are dominating the market! What should i get? I prefer smooth cubes

JeLe

I'd say GuanLong or even Sulong, which you already have and right now is dirt-cheap also. In not, you can find the Shengshou Wind or, if you want a "portable" cube, the Linglong (46mm) and also very cheap both of them right now. Even the Aurora can be found for less that 4 bucks.

So, after looking through a couple of stores, some of the cheapest cubes I can find are old LanLan and QJ 3x3s, using simple, blocky mechanisms. Are these bad cubes, or just outdated? If they're just a little old, it's not a problem, but if I have to worry about stability or bad turning, that's obviously a bigger problem.

lerenard

I want to get myself another cube or two for Christmas, and I currently have Moyu 2x2-4x4 which are my mains because I really like them. I also have a SS 5x5 I overmodded and is too loose and locks up a ton. So I'm considering getting:
a better 5x5 (is the only option an Aochuang for $30?? I don't want to spend that much after I just bought the Aosu.)
6x6 or 7x7 or both (do they offer much different from the 4x4 and 5x5 besides just taking longer? I'm not that into 5x5 because of how many pieces there are and whatnot, so probably not going with one of these)
Skewb
Pyraminx
Square 1

I don't want to look too much into tutorials for the above because I want to try and figure them out on my own. Are they fun/difficult to intuitively solve? Which would you recommend? Are there any other unique challenges in the cubing world you think I should consider? I don't want a Megaminx because they're too big/long to solve.

thanks

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I want to get myself another cube or two for Christmas, and I currently have Moyu 2x2-4x4 which are my mains because I really like them. I also have a SS 5x5 I overmodded and is too loose and locks up a ton. So I'm considering getting:
a better 5x5 (is the only option an Aochuang for $30?? I don't want to spend that much after I just bought the Aosu.)
6x6 or 7x7 or both (do they offer much different from the 4x4 and 5x5 besides just taking longer? I'm not that into 5x5 because of how many pieces there are and whatnot, so probably not going with one of these)
Skewb
Pyraminx
Square 1

I don't want to look too much into tutorials for the above because I want to try and figure them out on my own. Are they fun/difficult to intuitively solve? Which would you recommend? Are there any other unique challenges in the cubing world you think I should consider? I don't want a Megaminx because they're too big/long to solve.

thanks

I have a 2x2 3x3 4x4 then just jumped to 7x7. Since I don't currently plan on competing I figured I have the three main ones, let's just go big (I don't mean 13x13 big though). The algorithms are not much different, just a few new techniques. I say that unless you are planning the get a whole set of something, just go for the 7x7. I suggest the SS. It is smooth and never pops.

Rainbow Flash

So, after looking through a couple of stores, some of the cheapest cubes I can find are old LanLan and QJ 3x3s, using simple, blocky mechanisms. Are these bad cubes, or just outdated? If they're just a little old, it's not a problem, but if I have to worry about stability or bad turning, that's obviously a bigger problem.

I think you should consider the Moyu Sulong. It's really really cheap, and because it's a Moyu, you can know for sure you won't be very unsatisfied with it. It might not be the greatest, but for that price it's great.

I wouldn't suggest buying the cubes you mentioned, but to stay safe it will be best to stick with the Sulong. Good luck!

(I know what you mean by lending cubes to other people. My little 7-year-old friend wanted to borrow a cube, and without thinking twice I lent him one of my junk cubes.)

EvilGnome6

Premium Member
WCA
2014DECO01
I think you should consider the Moyu Sulong. It's really really cheap, and because it's a Moyu, you can know for sure you won't be very unsatisfied with it. It might not be the greatest, but for that price it's great.

I have all the hottest cubes (WeiLong, AoLong, ZhanChi, ShuangRen, etc.) and the Sulong is my main.

JeLe

I have all the hottest cubes (WeiLong, AoLong, ZhanChi, ShuangRen, etc.) and the Sulong is my main.

I've actually been considering switching to the SuLong as my main, so... Yeah. :p
It seems weird to have my cheap cube also be my main speedcube, but perhaps it could work. Right now I'm going to wait and think some more, because after buying a few cubes on Black Friday, I should refrain from buying cubes for a while. Especially 3x3s.
Thanks for all the input.

Last edited:

TraciAG

WCA
2015GAGU01
Hi guys, does the SuLong corner twist a lot? My friend has one and it feels like magic, but I got a lot of corner twists on his. Did he just have his tensions too loose or is the cube prone to corner twists?

Carbon

WCA
2014VAND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi guys, does the SuLong corner twist a lot? My friend has one and it feels like magic, but I got a lot of corner twists on his. Did he just have his tensions too loose or is the cube prone to corner twists?

I had a sulong before switching to the cx3 as my main, it never corner twisted, and i had it on very loose tensions, maybe just my turning style but it did pop a lot.

EvilGnome6

Premium Member
WCA
2014DECO01

I've never had a corner twist or a pop on my SuLongs but I think I keep my tensions tighter than most people. Maybe that's why that cube works well for me. It doesn't have to be loose to turn fast.