• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

ophir

Sounds good to me, I was just wondering if you had considered other puzzles. Seems like you've done your research. :)

And yeah, you can't really go wrong with the Valk 3 or Valk Power, but from what I've heard and tried, the Valk 3 seems to be more of a crowd-pleaser whereas the Power fits a more specific turning style. (But of course I could be wrong about this, so hopefully some more people share opinions!)
Hey, I just realized that I know your name on youtube! I saw a few of your videos, your really good! oh, and, sorry this isn't the place to talk about it.... so to make this comment "legal" I'm gonna ask this:

what is the best 2x2 and 4x4 to get (my average on 2x2 is 15-7, and 4x4 I never really timed myself...)?
and also, does someone have any recommendations on other good puzzles other then Megaminx, Pyraminx, 2x2, 4x4, 3x3? maybe a square-1, skewb, or a killomonx?

CornerCutter

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey, I just realized that I know your name on youtube! I saw a few of your videos, your really good! oh, and, sorry this isn't the place to talk about it.... so to make this comment "legal" I'm gonna ask this:

what is the best 2x2 and 4x4 to get (my average on 2x2 is 15-7, and 4x4 I never really timed myself...)?
and also, does someone have any recommendations on other good puzzles other then Megaminx, Pyraminx, 2x2, 4x4, 3x3? maybe a square-1, skewb, or a killomonx?
The best 2x2 is either the Wuxia M or the Gan 249 M. Both are great puzzles, but the Wuxia takes a little while to break in. Best 4x4 is the Wuque M.

For square-1 it's either the Qiyi or X-man Volt. Qiyi is smooth but slower and the Volt is fast and doesn't have as good cornercutting. The X-man Wingy Skewb is amazing! The Shengshou Kilominx is the only real Kilominx on the market right now. It's good, but has a few lockups . And finally for 5x5 the Wushuang is best.

What is funny is I released an episode yesterday of The CornerCutter Podcast and this is the main topic - the best and budget cubes of 2018. I talk through all the cubes you mentioned and more, including big cubes and OH.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01

For all the cubes that @CornerCutter recommended he is spot on with, but for the Square 1 the Volt M I think has really good corner cutting, especially once you break it in and loosen it a bit, it then becomes really great. I got the Cosmic Volt M from SCS and I would highly recommend that if you are looking for a great Square 1 and if you do not mind paying a little more for it, because you will not regret it.

For Megaminx the X-man Galaxy v2 M or non M is the cube to get> I was just at a competition and I scrambled pretty much every Megaminx from most of the cubers that competed in it, and that gave me the opportunity to try them all out and pretty much every Megaminx was the Galaxy v2 M or non M and I have the V2 non M and there (in my mind) is not a better Megaminx then the Galaxy v2, especially if you get the M version. I know that some cubers prefer the non M, so it really comes down to if you like the feel of the magnets in the cube, but if you are not sure then I would recommend that you try a couple out to see if you like it.

For Pyraminx the X-man Bell is the best by far, I know that some cubers like the Moyu Magnetic Pyraminx, but for me it was to slow and not as crisp at turning as the Bell is.

If you get a Kilominx the for sure the ShengShou, and although it does catch a bit when you first start cubing with it, it will break in really nicely and if you practice turning fast but smoothly then the catches are minimal.

Well thanks for your opinion, it helped alot! I'm not limiting myself, it's just that I needed help about chosing a few good cubes to start off my collection. Im also ordering in that set a megaminx, a pyraminx, a 2X2 and possibly a 4X4 and a shapeshifting one....
And about the magnets: it's less important because I'm will also buy a cheap magnetic set to megntaize 3x3s.
I have a friend who had the valk 3 power M, and it's really nice to turn, but I haven't tried the valk 3 yet so I can't compare. If you say valk 3 then that's what I'll take.
Please keep sharing your opinions, as long as I get more and more opinions I can make a smarter decision about my collection...
Having both the Valk Power M and the Valk M, I would recommend both but that really depends on you turning style and what kind of feel you like when you turn. The Valk Power M has a much nicer and smooth feel when you turn (as I am sure you know) and compared to the Valk M it is much quieter, it has a little resemblance in feel to a Gans M cube that has tighter springs, and compared to the Valk M it can feel a bit sluggish.
The Valk M has a bit more clackey (if Clackey is even a word:)) and crisp way about it in the way it turns and compared to the Power M it is a bit louder. I use the Power M as my main 2H cube, but I use the Valk M as my OH and FT main. The reason I use it as my OH main is mainly because I have it a little looser then the Power, but also because I like the crispness in it and not the sluggishness of the Power M.

Last edited by a moderator:

ophir

thank you, everyone, you really helped a lot! so I think these are my decisions:

3X3s -
1. The Valk 3/The Valk power - not sure, leaning towards The Valk 3.
2. GAN - GAN 356 Air SM with yellow GES nuts.
3. GTS - Moyu WeiLong GTS 2
2x2s -
1. GAN 249 V2
4x4s -
1. Wuque (not sure what is it, but you recommended it)
Pyraminx - X-Man Bell Magnetic Pyraminx.
Megaminx - X-Man Galaxy Megaminx V2 M (Concave)
about Skewb, Square-1, kilominx and other puzzles, I'm not yet sure if I have enough money, so I don't know.
any thoughts about my decisions? corrections? other recommendations?
and lastly - any recommendations about lube? I'm thinking lubicle black for core and premium lube bundle from cubicle.us for pieces.

Last edited:

Draranor

Premium Member
WCA
2016REIC01

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Fitted and factory fitted are basically the same thing.

The difference between fitted and full-fitted is how much of the piece they cover. Fitted leave a nice amount of black around the sticker - these are what you get by default when buy a stickered puzzle. Full-fitted cover basically the entire piece, leaving little or no black visible. All you see is the sticker (essentially).

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
So I am looking at getting a new 2x2 and the Moyu Weipo (most likely M) and Gans 249 M are the two that I am looking at getting but I wanted to see out of the two which is better. I have been looking at a lot of different reviews and videos about them and I am leaning towards the Gans 249, but I can not tell how much better it is then the Weipo (if at all). I have the Wuxia M and I really like it, but I have wanted to get another one to switch between. Thanks in advance.

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I am looking at getting a new 2x2 and the Moyu Weipo (most likely M) and Gans 249 M are the two that I am looking at getting but I wanted to see out of the two which is better. I have been looking at a lot of different reviews and videos about them and I am leaning towards the Gans 249, but I can not tell how much better it is then the Weipo (if at all). I have the Wuxia M and I really like it, but I have wanted to get another one to switch between. Thanks in advance.
I haven't used a Weipo so can't say which you'd like better but... if you decide you want the Gan 249 v2M, gimme a holler. I've got a basically-new stickerless one I'll sell you cheap.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
I haven't used a Weipo so can't say which you'd like better but... if you decide you want the Gan 249 v2M, gimme a holler. I've got a basically-new stickerless one I'll sell you cheap.
Thank you very much for the offer. I will be sure to keep it in mind and thanks again.

PnknHead

Is a Gan 365 Air M better than a GTS2 M?

Should I get my cube magnetized?