• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Silverback

It's not my default answer, that I can tell you but you said smooth and quiet :) Tanglong is even smoother but it's a bit noisier if used at full speed (for slow solving is also very quiet) but it's a bit slower than the Yuexiao. I wouldn't recommend the Meiying. The Yuexiao is similar but better and more stable.
What I meant by default answer is that this cube gets recommended quite often, as it seems to be the best cube on the market. And if it fits my description, there's nothing wrong with that.
I will watch some reviews of the Tanglong before I make my final decision. And I would like to know what you think about the thunderclap.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
What I meant by default answer is that this cube gets recommended quite often, as it seems to be the best cube on the market. And if it fits my description, there's nothing wrong with that.
I will watch some reviews of the Tanglong before I make my final decision. And I would like to know what you think about the thunderclap.

Yeah, I just just making a joke. The Yuexiao is a great cube, indeed.

The Thunderclap, on the other hand, is not quiet but a bit noisy and clacky and it's very nice and fast out of the box. Very similar to the Aolong v2 but a bit better. Depending on your turning style it can also corner twist some times. cyotheking says that you can make it fast or slow, whatever you want (it's his main, as you probably know).

I'd say it's probably the best cube you can buy in performance vs price. But I wouldn't say it's as smooth as, say, the Tanglong. Also it's a tiny bit smaller (barely 56mm) and I can feel the difference in M slices because my hands are quite big (I'm almost 1.90m tall). You can't go wrong with it but, as always, it depends on your preferences. I'm quite happy with later square-corner designs, like Tanglong, Yuexiao, Meiying... because they avoid corner twists.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yuxin 5x5 or Moyu Bochuang? Also, is it worth it to buy one of these two to upgrade from a Cyclone Boys 5x5? The CB is quite nice but I lock up a lot with it, probably due to my inaccurate turning but also, I think, due to misalignment, as the outer layers are much faster than the inner ones.

EvilGnome6

Premium Member
WCA
2014DECO01
Yuxin 5x5 or Moyu Bochuang? Also, is it worth it to buy one of these two to upgrade from a Cyclone Boys 5x5? The CB is quite nice but I lock up a lot with it, probably due to my inaccurate turning but also, I think, due to misalignment, as the outer layers are much faster than the inner ones.

I haven't tried the BoChuang, yet but the YuXin 5x5 is much more controllable than the CB 5x5. Definitely give it a shot if you find the CB a bit frustrating. The CB is great as a casual use cube but not very well suited to speedsolving, IMO.

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I say BoChuang. A bit more controllable than Yuxin. The problem is if you see inaccurate at turning the BoChuang and Yuxin may have worse misalignment issues while the CB and new SS wind just lock up.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
I haven't tried the BoChuang, yet but the YuXin 5x5 is much more controllable than the CB 5x5. Definitely give it a shot if you find the CB a bit frustrating. The CB is great as a casual use cube but not very well suited to speedsolving, IMO.

I say BoChuang. A bit more controllable than Yuxin. The problem is if you see inaccurate at turning the BoChuang and Yuxin may have worse misalignment issues while the CB and new SS wind just lock up.

I have seen some reviews saying that the BoChuang is a bit slower than the Yuxin and also needs some breaking in, while the Yuxin is very good out of the box. I also like the bigger stickers in the BoChuang a little more but I'm considering the stickerless version so that might not be an issue.

Regarding misalignment, I think I know what you mean. I have seen in reviews the piece interlocking that can happen with both cubes when trying to force them and that definitely does not happen on my CB, it just locks up, as you say, so that's a bit of a concern for me. I also have to say that it happens when trying to force them at a double layer forward corner cutting angle that is far more than what the CB can ever do. But they clearly corner cut much more than my CB, that will only cut one cubie, while these two can easily cut almost two.

I would normally go with the Yuxin as it's at least as good or close to the Bochuang and cheaper but right now they are both about the same price at lightake so I thought I should better ask before deciding.

Thank you both for your help.

rumarfer28

Have you tried to lube the inner layers of your CB?. Without any lube its true that the outer layers are much faster than the inner ones, but only with 1-2 drops of lube (I use formula, but I guess maru would do the same or even better) the inner layers became as fast as the outer layers. Is not necessary to lube the outer layers because they are super fast. Doing only this, the cube becames much much better.

Playing with the tensions is very important too, because with the CB 5x5 a simple 1/4 of turn of the screws change the performance a lot.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Have you tried to lube the inner layers of your CB?. Without any lube its true that the outer layers are much faster than the inner ones, but only with 1-2 drops of lube (I use formula, but I guess maru would do the same or even better) the inner layers became as fast as the outer layers. Is not necessary to lube the outer layers because they are super fast. Doing only this, the cube becames much much better.

Playing with the tensions is very important too, because with the CB 5x5 a simple 1/4 of turn of the screws change the performance a lot.

Thanks! I tried to adjust tensions. Just loosened it by 1/4 of a turn but it did not improve corner cutting, it just made the outer layers even faster and it did generate problems with "5x5 lockups" similar to what Yuxin has though not as severe. It took like 5-10 seconds to properly unlock the cube after one of those events so I tightened it again. I was thinking about lubing it with some silicone oil but I don't want to disassemble it so, I'm not sure.

gateway cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Can u pls tell me which is Better CYCLONE BOYS FEIWU OR CYCLONE BOYS XUANFENG AND WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THEM

Neither one is better than the other, but don't get a Cyclone boys 3x3. For $2 more you could get a thunderclap or a yuxin (a thunderclap is fast and clicky... almost like a re-vamped aolong v2. Meanwhile a yuxin is moderatley fast, heavy, and the smoothest cube out there.)

gateway cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
RE: there is no good 2x2

So I don't really see a good choice for 2x2, however I will go with the Lingpo

Bro, there's a couple of nice 2x2s out there and the lingpo isn't one of them. Remember how locky the gans 356 was? yeah the lingpo locks even more... you should get a Tangpo, Wit 2, or a YuPo. But whatever you do, don't get a dayan (very slow, pops every other solve, and catchy) or a lingpo (somewhat slow and very locky).

Last edited:

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Bro, there's a couple of nice 2x2s out there and the lingpo isn't one of them. Remember how locky the gans 356 was? yeah the lingpo locks even more... you should get a Tangpo, Wit 2, or a YuPo. But whatever you do, don't get a dayan (very slow, pops every other solve, and catchy) or a lingpo (somewhat slow and very locky).

A well broken in Dayan, with some silicone oil lube and correct tensions is as good as it gets for a 2x2. Since I did all that to mine it has not popped once but I have to say that it's a bit tighter that I'd like it to. Forward corner cutting is almost 45%, so enough. Reverse is decent but not great, though. It's not slow at all (a bit too fast if you ask me, but that can be controlled with heavier lube) and it does not catch, like ever. It can lock up if you overshoot and it can't cut but that will happen with any cube. So, I'd recommend a Dayan.

I agree that the LingPo catches (I have one and I don't use it because of that) but I have heard the same of the TangPo and YuPo... and the new GuanPo too. So maybe the only other choice is the Wittwo, which you also mentioned but I don't own one so I cannot be sure.

rajanreddy188

I would recommend the Tanglong, it is very smooth, but not too fast. It is very controllable, and it is currently my main. I really enjoy it.

Myachii

WCA
2013MORR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Last year I posted a hell of a lot compared to now. I went to several competitions last year, but now I've switched to a more passive style of speedcubing, at least while I have exams going on. Not really bothered about times etc. and I'm currently using the MoYu Hualong.

The Hualong was the newest 3x3 when I stopped following the Speedcubing scene so to speak. In June I intend to buy a new speedstacks timer and also maybe a new 3x3, but I have no idea which 3x3 is the Aolong of today. Could someone explain some of the newer cubes and which is the most recommended?

philipneri

Howdy, I am a 30 second Roux solver. My current cube is a MoYu Hualong. I feel like my Hualong is a little too fast and uncontrollable for my turning speed/style. So I would like to something different. Do you think the QiYi Thunderclap would work well for me?

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Last year I posted a hell of a lot compared to now. I went to several competitions last year, but now I've switched to a more passive style of speedcubing, at least while I have exams going on. Not really bothered about times etc. and I'm currently using the MoYu Hualong.

The Hualong was the newest 3x3 when I stopped following the Speedcubing scene so to speak. In June I intend to buy a new speedstacks timer and also maybe a new 3x3, but I have no idea which 3x3 is the Aolong of today. Could someone explain some of the newer cubes and which is the most recommended?

The new Aolong would be the GuoGuan YueXaio, for sure :)

Howdy, I am a 30 second Roux solver. My current cube is a MoYu Hualong. I feel like my Hualong is a little too fast and uncontrollable for my turning speed/style. So I would like to something different. Do you think the QiYi Thunderclap would work well for me?

If you want something slower I'd recommend you to try a MoYu Tanglong.

philipneri

If you want something slower I'd recommend you to try a MoYu Tanglong.

Okay, sounds good. Any other people want to chime in before I make my purchase?

ZZTrooper

WCA
2015HOKE01
Okay, sounds good. Any other people want to chime in before I make my purchase?

If you have the choice between stickered and an unstickered Tanglong, definitely go for the stickered one. Moyu unstickered products are kinds notorious for being bad, and my Tanglong took like a thousand solves before it was good. Other than that, you really can't go wrong with it.