• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubikon

Unusual cube

Hello,

I enjoy solving Rubik's Cubes (in a very slow and amateur way), so I often buy them at yard sales and thrift shops just for fun. I found a strange one at a yard sale this weekend, and I was hoping that someone here might have some information about it. It's clearly a very early cube with the old logo, but the strange part is the color scheme. It doesn't use the regular western-style scheme or the Japanese scheme. The color layout is: red opposite orange, yellow opposite blue and white opposite green. The stickers don't seem to have been removed or modified in any way. Has anyone seen one like this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Photo on 9-28-14 at 11.39 AM #2.jpg
Photo on 9-28-14 at 11.39 AM.jpg

Rubikon

Thanks, guys, for the input!

Don't think that's a common one. Are the pieces each able to split into separate parts?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. As far as I can tell, it's assembled just like my normal cubes. It's a bit stiff, but that seems to be from age. I haven't disassembled it, but I don't see any reason to believe that it would be any different.

Maybe it's a DIY cube, and someone put the stickers on wrong

I don't think so; I got this from a yard sale where the person had old Viewmasters and other popular '70s and '80s toys. I don't really know the history of custom stickers, but this one seems to have been this way for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Randomno

Banned
WCA
2014STAR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not sure exactly what you mean. As far as I can tell, it's assembled just like my normal cubes. It's a bit stiff, but that seems to be from age. I haven't disassembled it, but I don't see any reason to believe that it would be any different.

Can each corner piece split into 3 separate pieces, each with one sticker on?

SoySauS

20141109_004108.jpg

What is this and how do I solve it?

It's a Mozhi, but it's not the diamond or whatever because one of the sides is flat. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
View attachment 4684

What is this and how do I solve it?

It's a Mozhi, but it's not the diamond or whatever because one of the sides is flat. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
If it turns like I think, it's really just a differently shaped Skewb. A lot of Skewb mods have the same mechanism and the same size parts so you can replace a piece or two with a piece from a differently shaped puzzle. You should be able to get it back to "solved" with just Skewb techniques.

SoySauS

If it turns like I think, it's really just a differently shaped Skewb. A lot of Skewb mods have the same mechanism and the same size parts so you can replace a piece or two with a piece from a differently shaped puzzle. You should be able to get it back to "solved" with just Skewb techniques.

I don't know how to solve a Skewb but I think I know which ones are the corners and which ones are the centers. I managed to get a sort of "white cross", and with the "corners" solved (but they look like centers of a 3x3 sorta). Now I have the top "center" piece and the edge "center" pieces and i have to figure out how to swap them. . .there's 5 of them. I think if I find an algorithm that switches a "center" piece with the top "center" piece I can solve it.

UPSB cuber

What exactly did I buy? Also, first post!

Hi guys! New user, UPSB cuber here. I've known about the forums for a while and speedcubing in general and just recently decided to take a gander at it after a friend recently awakened my love for cubing (I started solving four years ago just for fun, didn't go past beginner method.) So far, I'm working on f2l and one look PLL and two look OLL. That's as much as and introduction you'll get from me for now though.

Now to the problem.

A few days ago, in the spirit of noobness I ordered some speedcubes to get me started on my journey. After watching reviews from Jrcuber and others, I decided upon purchasing the YJ yulong as my main and a shengshou 4x4 on the side. When I received my package a few hours ago, my yj yulong appeared to have morphed into something entirely else!

IMG_1038[1].JPG

seems a bit chilly, maybe the cubies shrunk? :p

proof p1.png

proof of purchase

yulong for reference: http://thecubicle.us/yulong-p-1921.html

I'm starting to think its a mini aolong since its a 55 mm x 55 mm

Can someone help me out here? If it is an aolong, should i just keep it, or should I try to swap it out for a yulong (idk if you can even do that.)

Hope this doesn't die. :(