• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] "What cube is this?" The cube / puzzle identification thread

What's up, everyone? I've been building a collection of cubes this year, and need some help identifying my 4x4, as I'm pretty sure it's not Shengshou. It was purchased under the "Shengshou ® 4x4x4 Puzzle Cube Black" listing on Amazon, but is drastically different than all of my other Shengshou cubes, which are all otherwise alike.

It came shipped in a thick label-less plastic sack and wasn't covered in lube like Shengshou cubes come, no box or anything. It turns extremely smooth, it's by far my favorite cube just from how easily it handles, the other cubes don't come close to turning this nicely, and it cuts corners well. The stickers have a textured matte feel to them and are off-color compared to Shengshou's glossy stickers. I've taken a picture against my other cubes, hope it's good enough that someone can recognize it.

Attachments

Thats exactly the kind of stickers Shengshou used in the past.
What I can see from the pics it looks 100% like a Shengshou 4x4.
Huh, so it must be an older Shengshou cube then, here it is stacked up right beside my SS 7x7, and the boxes that my 6x6 and 7x7 came in (left all but the 7x7 and 4x4 at work). My 5x5 came with the same box, but once again, the 4x4 just came in a loose plastic sack, no box.

I was kind of hoping it would be a different brand, as i'm not impressed at all with the SS 6x6 and 7x7, but the 5x5 turns quick and cuts corners well, just not as well as this 4x4. I may try to hunt around and see if I can find an older cube like this, i'd be down with replacing all of my larger cubes with this revision, hah. Thanks for the tips!

Attachments

This should be your cube.
That definitely fits the bill! If this one's a "V5", then I must have gotten the luck of the draw ordering from Amazon, but this site also has other SS cubes with the matte stickers. Think I might pick up a Moyu instead though, a coworker just got their stickerless 7x7 and it's godly.