• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What are 2-gen algorithms?

rubiknewbie

I heard people talk about this. Is it algorithms that only deal with 2 faces? Got some examples?

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
2 Gen means "consisting of 2 generators". Those 2 generators could be something as basic as [R] or something really complicated.
So any algorithm that consists of only R R2 R' U U2 U' is considered 2 gen.
So are algorithms that consists of only M M2 M' U U2 U' (slice-algs).
And so are algorithms that consist of only L L2 L' U U2 U' (mirrored or lefthanded algs)

BUT because the generators could be chosen as
f and b (double layers) that means that fbfbffb is 2 gen as well

And technically you could argue that (U L' F r') (B d') (U L' F r') (B d') is 2 gen as well, but nobody really means that when they say 2-gen

(if you choose the two generators as [ULFRBD] and [ulfrbdxyzMES] basically everything becomes 2 gen but again that is not what people mean when the say 2-gen)

Akuma

WCA
2010COST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
"2 gen" algorithm is an algorithm consisting of only 2 kinds of moves in a repeated patterns. Usually R and U movements.

The reason why attention are given to these is because R and U algorithms can be preformed very fast and very fluid thus these algorithms are usually desired amongst speedcubers. A lot of algorithms can be re-designed to only be using R and U moves but the drawback is that the algorithm sometimes becomes longer or harder to remember due to the monotony of the algorithm.

cincyaviation

WCA
2010HOVL02
What method uses a lot of R U 2-gen?

such an un-needed bump, there is the 1AQT for a reason, but to answer your question, roux and petrus both build blocks and then orient edges, enabling the rest of the cube (only the rest of F2L for petrus i think) to be solved in 2 gen (M,U for roux and R,U for petrus) and ZZ orients all edges to begin with, so that the whole F2L can be done in 3 gen with no cube rotations

Edward

WCA
2011KING01
YouTube
Visit Channel

such an un-needed bump, there is the 1AQT for a reason, but to answer your question, roux and petrus both build blocks and then orient edges, enabling the rest of the cube (only the rest of F2L for petrus i think) to be solved in 2 gen (M,U for roux and R,U for petrus) and ZZ orients all edges to begin with, so that the whole F2L can be done in 3 gen with no cube rotations

It was a perfectly relevant bump, and you have been ninja'd.

cincyaviation

WCA
2010HOVL02

It was a perfectly relevant bump, and you have been ninja'd.
i didn't think it was that relevant, and i saw your post before i made mine >_>
Whats that smiley even mean BTW? :p

miniGOINGS

Kind of...

Petrus usually goes ...EO --> <R, U> --> LL
Whereas Roux usually goes ...CMLL --> <M, U>

Roux EO is part of the <M, U> phase.

Sharkretriver

wtf is the 1AQT just wondering.

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel

wtf is the 1AQT just wondering.

The "One Answer Question Thread" that is stickied at the top of this forum section. :)