• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Unofficial] Weird 3x3 PLL skip

Feanaro

WCA
2008PHEL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This was totally real, why would I fake this? I only realized he said the whole thing about never getting skips when I reviewed the video. Besides, we were originally just racing because my OH times are comparable to his 2 handed times.

imaghost

YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't you have a better chance getting PLL skip with 2 look OLL? It makes sense, you do the OLL more times, making it a higher chance of getting a PLL skip other than doing multiple OLL's. I have gotten them like 2 out of 10 times. They don't come that often, but I get maybe 5 a day, then again I solve the cube more than 100 times a day.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't you have a better chance getting PLL skip with 2 look OLL? It makes sense, you do the OLL more times, making it a higher chance of getting a PLL skip other than doing multiple OLL's. I have gotten them like 2 out of 10 times. They don't come that often, but I get maybe 5 a day, then again I solve the cube more than 100 times a day.
No, 2 look OLL doesn't give you a better chance of PLL skip.
Situation 1: use both looks; After your first OLL you might have a PLL skip, but then you would still need to orient corners
Situation 2: edge OLL skip; After you skipped your first OLL you are going to do a normal PLL with 1/72 chances of skipping it (unless you use COLL or another variation)
Situation 3: corner OLL skip; After you do your first OLL you are going to skip the second OLL and then do a normal PLL with 1/72 chances of skipping it

If you know 10 algs for orienting edges and 10 algs for orienting corners you DO have a > 1/72 chance of skipping PLL, but only if you think about which combination of these algs you should use. This can be useful for FMC, but not really for speed

PLL skips can come really randomly. I have done 900 solves and only gotten 4. Then I had 4 in the next 8 solves!

Johannes91

Don't you have a better chance getting PLL skip with 2 look OLL?
No.

It makes sense, you do the OLL more times, making it a higher chance of getting a PLL skip other than doing multiple OLL's.
What? o_O

I have gotten them like 2 out of 10 times. They don't come that often, but I get maybe 5 a day, then again I solve the cube more than 100 times a day.
Either you've been quite lucky, you know more than one alg per OLL case and look ahead to get a skip, or you just remember wrong. Count the skips next time you do a session to see if it really is 1/20.

If you don't do anything special to get a PLL skip, the way you solve F2L and OLL is irrelevant and the probability is 1/72.

imaghost

YouTube
Visit Channel
No.

It makes sense, you do the OLL more times, making it a higher chance of getting a PLL skip other than doing multiple OLL's.
What? o_O

I have gotten them like 2 out of 10 times. They don't come that often, but I get maybe 5 a day, then again I solve the cube more than 100 times a day.
Either you've been quite lucky, you know more than one alg per OLL case and look ahead to get a skip, or you just remember wrong. Count the skips next time you do a session to see if it really is 1/20.

If you don't do anything special to get a PLL skip, the way you solve F2L and OLL is irrelevant and the probability is 1/72.

Well what I am saying, is that you do the same OLL in 2 look, making it a higher chance in getting a PLL skip. I only know 11 OLL's. I do 6 more than the other 5, since it is 2 look. The more times you do the same OLL, you have a better chance of getting a PLL skip.

imaghost

YouTube
Visit Channel
No that isn't even remotely true

How? I don't like comparing cubes to marbles, not that I ever do, but why not. If I have a bag of 10,000 green marbles, and one red marble. If I pull out one marble at a time, the chances of pulling out the red one start increasing. Would it not work for the cube?

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
I having trouble even understanding what you're trying to argue, that marble analogy doesn't really help.

The way I see it is, yea, if you use two look OLL there is a slightly more of a chance that you get a PLL skip, but only in the sense that you could skip CO and PLL at the same time.

Do EO, then there's a 1/1944 chance that you'll skip CO+PLL, but if not, then there's still the 1/72 chance that you'll get a PLL skip after CO. So slightly more of a chance to skip PLL with 2-look OLL (if my logic isn't failing, which it could very well be), but nothing significant enough to even mention. Btw, someone please point out the hole in my logic, because I know there's something I'm not taking into consideration.

hcbartek

WCA
2009WLIZ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
No.

What? o_O

Yeaah, my English is bad, but 2 out of 10 times doesnt mean that is 4/20? 1 is out of 5 times.

Last edited:

Johannes91

The way I see it is, yea, if you use two look OLL there is a slightly more of a chance that you get a PLL skip, but only in the sense that you could skip CO and PLL at the same time.
Oh yeah, I didn't realize that. Thanks for explaining clearly what imaghost was probably trying to say. Not at all significant in practice, but an interesting point.

Edit: Heh nevermind.

Last edited:

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Do EO, then there's a 1/1944 chance that you'll skip CO+PLL, but if not, then there's still the 1/72 chance that you'll get a PLL skip after CO. So slightly more of a chance to skip PLL with 2-look OLL (if my logic isn't failing, which it could very well be), but nothing significant enough to even mention. Btw, someone please point out the hole in my logic, because I know there's something I'm not taking into consideration.

Probablity(PLL skip)
= Probablity(PLL skip with CO skip) + Probablity(PLL skip without CO skip)
= (1/27 * 1/72) + (26/27 * 1/72)
= 1/72

Last edited:

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Trust me imaghost, once Stefan puts up numbers like that you are wrong.
Like I've never been wrong.

And another way to say it: Consider CFOP. PLL skip means that the LL pieces are correctly permuted at the point when CFO are done. If you use 2-look OLL, that point can be reached after the second OLL or after the first or even after zero if you have OLL skip. Or even right after the cross if your granny thought scrambling with five moves suffices. But it doesn't matter how early or late you get to that point. Yes you have a small probability to skip the entire rest of the solve early (like skipping FOP after C), but you don't gain PLL skip probability from that. If the probability to skip the rest of the solve (including PLL) after the cross is X, and you consider this, then you must also consider that you only continue solving (and later have 1/72) with probability 1-X. This 1-X btw was the 26/27 that was missing in Ellis' argument.

So if you want to do this really properly and consider all early rest-of-solve-including-PLL skips, the formula gets way messier but still results in 1/72 for PLL skip. The formula I gave above doesn't consider these early skips but only starting after F2L and EO.

The only way to really improve your PLL skip probability is to work for it, i.e., intentionally affect the permutation of the LL pieces before you get to PLL.

For imaghost I see these possible explanations (in order of decreasing probability):
1) He's wrong about the 5 PLL skips per day.
2) His "more than 100 solves a day" are really about 360 (5*72).
3) He does affect PLL before getting there.
4) He has been lucky.
5) He uses a bad scrambler and a "corresponding" solving method.

For case 5, consider a bad scrambler that only scrambles in <U,D,L,R,F2,B2>. If his method is to only solve using these moves, then of course he has a higher than normal OLL skip probability because edges will always be oriented. Similarly, a bad scrambler and "corresponding" solving method can lead to higher PLL skip probability.

P.S. No offense to grannies, I have no reason to believe they're any more stupid than the average person.

Last edited:

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
Probablity(PLL skip)
= Probablity(PLL skip with CO skip) + Probablity(PLL skip without CO skip)
= (1/27 * 1/72) + (26/27 * 1/72)
= 1/72
If the probability to skip the rest of the solve (including PLL) after the cross is X, and you consider this, then you must also consider that you only continue solving (and later have 1/72) with probability 1-X. This 1-X btw was the 26/27 that was missing in Ellis' argument.

Thank you. Even with the numbers right in my face, it took me a few minutes to accept it. I would never have thought of it like that.

imaghost

YouTube
Visit Channel
I am not saying anybody is wrong, just logically, if you do something that has a random outcome, the more times you do the same thing, you have a higher chance of getting what you want. Yesterday, I had like 4-5 PLL skips, 2 being within like 5 solves. I probably solved it over 200 times yesterday. I timed about 100, and know I did a bunch more solves.