• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

WCA World Simulation

fw

Hey guys,

I started to play around with the new SQL export of the WCA database, which Stefan provided us with some time ago (thanks again). I tried to visualize the data a bit, I hope you like it :)

[youtubehd]Exfm1LTQ_90[/youtubehd]

You can download a little-better-quality version of this video here: http://hackvalue.de/cubing/media/gource.avi

If you still want better quality (to read all the little text labels, etc.), download "gource" and load the original data, available here: http://hackvalue.de/cubing/media/gource.dat.gz

Enjoy!
Flo

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyrus C.

WCA
2010COLA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It looks cool, but I don't under stand it.. does each branch represent a country? Or an event? Or a competition? When a dot leaves the visual is it because they stopped being active?

fw

Every competition is one node, which itself has one leaf-node for each of its events. The dots disappear after some time and the competitors disappear if they are inactive (and come back if they are active again). I just wanted to show how many competitions there are (and where, the tree is structured by country (although the structure is of course not geographically correct in any way)) and how many people (and which) "move around" between those competitions. I think its very funny if you "follow" people like Lars or Ron, who attended many competitions (and therefore their icon almost never disappears ;-)).

fw

What program was this made in. What date is this up to?
Read the video description. The program which visuallizes the data is called "gource" and is used to visualize the history of distributed version control systems (which is mainly used for big programming projects). I wrote a small script which reads Stefans SQL dump and creates a file which gource can understand. The SQL dump I used is some weeks old I think, but thats irrelevant because I aborted the video somewhere in 2008 because it was getting boring and nothing new happened (so dont try to find your name if your WCA ID begins with 2009 or 2010 :)).

gamemeister27

I laughed when it zoomed in on Tyson Mao and he disappeared.

Also, it highlighted Pembo for a second at 2:58! I wonder how he's doing....

Last edited: