• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

WCA events ranked from most to least boring

MBCubes

This is my opinion but this is also slightly objective also this is in the format where 18 is the most boring and 1 is the least boring

18. FMC: This event is incredibly boring and I find myself spacing out a lot so I almost never do it and it feels like you took cubing and school lessons and took all the fun out of cubing and put them together
17: 5BLD: This event especially for me because I’m new to it takes a very long time to memorize and I find myself spacing out a lot too which just adds to my time and execution, unless you’re Stanley Chapel takes a very long time but is definitely the more interesting part of the solve
16: 4BLD: Shorter 5BLD where I don’t really space out
15: Megaminx: I personally just find quite a lack of interest in this event and looking for pieces all the way across the cube is just a nightmare
14: Feet: Very long 3x3 solve but I don’t really actually consider it all that boring
13: Skewb: sledge sledge sledge sledge sledge SLEDGE SLEDGE SLEDGE SLEDGE!!!!!!! Thats all there is to this event!
12: Pyraminx: XD I really hate this event and whenever I practice I question my sanity, kind of a filler spot
11. Clock: Why?
10: Multi-Blind: Very concentration heavy event and does take 1 hour usually but it doesn’t have same long feel as 5BLD has and is incredibly satisfying
9: 7x7: I really enjoy practicing this event but objectively it’s semi repetitive and long
8: 6x6: Shorter 7x7 solve
7: 2x2: Repetitive but very short and a nice little joke when you get that sub-1, 4 move solution
6: 5x5: Nothing really to say here just a perfectly entertaining event
5: OH: Correct turning makes you feel empowered and is just fun
4: Sqaun: Some might say it’s repetitive but it’s sooooo fun to turn and it looks sick
3: 3BLD: Something I like practicing a lot and it’s very fun but you can’t listen to music or anything when you're doing it
2: 3x3: People grind it for hours but honestly I just can’t because I like to practice lots of different things but nonetheless of course a great event as always
1: 4x4: The one event where I can grind for hours without really getting bored

I hope you enjoyed this list even though most of it is completely pointless

Hazel

Premium Member
I'll put mine here too! Maybe this will become the thread to put these lists...?

18: 5BLD: I've never tried a 5BLD solve, but I've attempted a 6BLD and it was an hour and a half of tediousness that was incredibly tiresome mentally, and I don't plan on trying it again anytime soon.
17: MBLD: Solving two cubes blindfolded takes just a bit less amount of memory space as a 4x4 blind, so it's the same deal as 5BLD.
16: FMC: It's fun, but it's just too much thinking and not enough solving for me...
15: Feet: I've only ever done one feet solve and it took much too long and was frustrating, so not a fan.
14: 7x7: Just a bigger 6x6, takes too long.
13: Megaminx: Just a much bigger, more annoying 3x3, with less potential TPS. Looking around the puzzle for one piece is also a big pain.
12: 6x6: Just a bigger 5x5, also takes too long and the hardware isn't great.
11: Square-1: I feel like I need to learn too many algs to improve a lot, and cubeshape isn't fun for me, but fun once in a while
10: Pyraminx: Fun to do a few solves sometimes, but I don't care about it enough to try and improve by learning new techniques or algs or anything.
9: Skewb: Even though solving is a lot different, to me Skewb is just a more fun Pyraminx.
8: 4BLD: Not nearly as bad as anything bigger, and getting my first (and still only) success was the best feeling ever. Memo doesn't take so long that I start getting bored.
7: 3BLD: I love execution, but getting good at memo is annoying as I'm really bad at audio memory but using visuals for everything is too slow...
6: OH: Just 3x3 but... with one hand. I would practice it much more if it wasn't so reliant on being able to turn fast with one hand.
5: 5x5: Lots of fun (especially centers), but lookahead during first 4 edges is a bit brutal for me :(
4: Clock: I know I know, it says in my signature that clock is the best event. I do love clock, but it's just too mindless of a solve to want to practice often. TPS and taking advantage of lucky cases are the only things that matter. TPS just takes doing tons of solves to improve, and taking advantage of lucky cases is super easy.
3: 2x2: It's fun and quick, and improving isn't as mindless as clock. Learning tons of algs isn't fun, but you only really need CLL to become sub-3.
2: 4x4: Super fun, especially 3-2-3 edge pairing. The order of steps before that step feels a bit clunky, but I'm sure that becomes a lot better as you improve. Getting parity isn't ever too bad, and hardware for this event is really good.
1: 3x3: I know that this isn't unique, but this is the only event that I can practice hours on end. It's not too long that each solve is a chore, but it's long enough to keep things interesting. There's also many recourses for improving, so I never feel like I'm stuck. The hardware for this event is also easily the best, and there's more than 1-2 great options for even world-class people.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
My Unpopular Opinion
I hope I will not offend anyone - this is just my opinion. But since I know my list will be extremely contrarian to most, I can't resist posting my contrarian list. It may seem odd, but it's definitely my honest opinion. Sorry to anyone who finds this list offensive, but please know I'm not condemning the event for you - just saying what I feel.

18: 3x3x3: Okay, so I admit that if we're talking a single solve, it's hard to be bored with doing a single 3x3x3 solve. But when it comes to practicing, I honestly find 3x3x3 to be the most boring of all the events to practice, since it takes so much effort to make even a tiny amount of improvement. I feel almost like I'm incapable of actually improving at this event anymore, and I'm sure it would have to be almost all-consuming for me with my current schedule and life to be able to ever make a significant further improvement at this. So yes, I feel like this is the most boring of all the events.
17: OH: I'm bad enough at this that I can still improve a bit with practice, just from improvement with using a single hand to make moves. But I still feel like I only want to spend time practicing one event with dexterity limited, and for me it makes so much more sense to have that be with feet, since that's so much more restricting than solving with just one hand.
16: Feet: Well, it's still just 3x3x3. I still feel like 3x3x3 is the most boring puzzle to solve. So these three are the worst for me.
15: 2x2x2: Yeah, this is boring too. A little less boring because I still feel like I might not have reached my limit for potential without inordinate amounts of practice.
14: Skewb: No matter how much I practice hedges and sledges, I'm still ridiculously slow at them. I tried an average of 12 at the new WR single scramble, and got a 2.75 average. I'm really bad at sledges.
13: Megaminx: Well, at my level of ability, it's basically just a whole lot of F2L followed by very incompetent LL with just a handful of algs. So yeah, this is still too much like 3x3x3 to climb this list very much.
12: Clock: It's fun, but not enough for me to spend much time practicing it.
11: Square-1: I used to enjoy this more, but getting better seems to require memorizing a bunch of algs and I just don't feel up to it.
10: 6x6x6: I've never cared as much for evens as odds, in general. 6x6x6 is too much of an in-between event for me to care much about it.
9: 5x5x5: I used to like this more, but these days I feel like I don't have enough time to be practicing something like this much.
8: Pyraminx: This has temporarily moved way up this list for me. I suspect it's only temporary, but suddenly I'm much better at it than I used to be, simply because I enjoy practicing master pyraminx so much, and I find that I improve rapidly at regular pyraminx as a result of it! I've gotten a bunch of new PBs on this (even if they still are terrible - they're great improvement for me) in the past few weeks as a result of my master pyraminx practice. And I think master pyraminx is surprisingly fun to solve (for now, anyway).
7: 7x7x7: If I'm going to do big cubes, I'd rather go for really big. Centers are the most fun part for me. Edges bore me.
6: 4x4x4: Since switching to Hoya a couple of years ago, this became a lot more fun. If I had more time to practice speedsolving, I'd probably focus on this for now. Hoya is still fun for me.
5: MultiBLD: Now that I actually have a shot at 16 cubes, this has become more fun again. I wish I had more time to practice. It's still a negative to me that for multiBLD, unlike the other BLD events, no matter how good you are, you still need to put in a full hour for a single attempt if you want to do your best.
4: 3x3x3 BLD: I don't seem to be able to improve much at this without lots of practice, and I just can't come up with enough time these days to put in that lots of practice. Someday though I hope to be able to do it again, because I really enjoy this event when I'm in practice.
3: FMC: This is great fun for me. But it would be even greater if I could put in the time to really learn some of the better techniques. I hope someday I can put in that time and get really better at this.
2: 4x4x4 BLD: Face facts, big cubes BLD are my thing. I love doing any big cube BLD. I'm pretty awful at 4BLD, but I still enjoy it.
1: 5x5x5 BLD: Of all the WCA events, definitely my favorite. If I could only practice one event for the rest of my life and it had to be a WCA event, this would be it. (If it didn't have to be a WCA event, it would probably be 7x7x7 BLD.)

2018AMSB02

Premium Member
WCA
2018AMSB02
YouTube
Visit Channel
18. FMC: Not that interesting to watch or do.
17. 5BLD: I take too long to memorize.
16. Feet: Super long (for me at least) and not interesting because you can't turn quick enough to keep your mind engaged.
15. Clock: I am one of the people that really hate solving clock. It is mostly because there are no good clocks on the market, really hoping qiyi or moyu will release theirs soon.
14. 7x7: Just takes too long.
13. 4x4 BLD: Takes too long and hard to focus.
12: 6x6: A little too long.
11: MBLD: I can never memorize my last cube in time due to lack of concentration.
10. Skewb: Like MBCubes said, it is very repetitive if you are not advanced.
9. 2x2: Too fast and repetitive, good singles are not as exciting.
8. 3BLD: So satisfying.
7. 5x5: Fun to do centers.
6. Megaminx: I like all of the F2L.
5. OH: Good, fun event, but my tps is terrible and I can't do one look pll for some reason.
4. Square-1: Really fun event, but I am really bad at it, and it is super boring scrambling and memorizing algs.
3. Pyraminx: I dont like it that much, but the only event I can consistently make finals in for some reason. I still use the beginners method!
2. 4x4: i am really bad, but it is entertaining.
1. 3x3: Just did 300 solves this morning, really easy to do over and over.

Just realized that mine is almost the exact opposite of Mike's! :)

Skittleskp

WCA
2019PATE10
YouTube
Visit Channel
dont be mad at my rankings pls;)

18. FMC cause you have to be there for AN HOUR!!
17. Multi-Blind bc it takes forever and you have to be quiet
16. 5BLD you have to be quiet
15. 4BLD you have to be quiet
14. Feet very boring and im really slow
13. Clock hard to follow
12. 7x7 takes a pretty long time
11. 6x6 im really slow
10. 2x2 too fast
9. Skewb too fast
8. 3BLD fun to watch execution
7. OH idk what to say
6. Squan nice to watch ppl that r fast
5. Megaminx f2l is nice
4. Pyra fast but worth it
3. 5x5 one of my favs
2. 3x3 the most famous event!
1. 4x4 takes longer then 3x3 but doesn't take forever

Wish Lin

WCA
2018LINW02
My Unpopular Opinion
I hope I will not offend anyone - this is just my opinion. But since I know my list will be extremely contrarian to most, I can't resist posting my contrarian list. It may seem odd, but it's definitely my honest opinion. Sorry to anyone who finds this list offensive, but please know I'm not condemning the event for you - just saying what I feel.

18: 3x3x3: Okay, so I admit that if we're talking a single solve, it's hard to be bored with doing a single 3x3x3 solve. But when it comes to practicing, I honestly find 3x3x3 to be the most boring of all the events to practice, since it takes so much effort to make even a tiny amount of improvement. I feel almost like I'm incapable of actually improving at this event anymore, and I'm sure it would have to be almost all-consuming for me with my current schedule and life to be able to ever make a significant further improvement at this. So yes, I feel like this is the most boring of all the events.
17: OH: I'm bad enough at this that I can still improve a bit with practice, just from improvement with using a single hand to make moves. But I still feel like I only want to spend time practicing one event with dexterity limited, and for me it makes so much more sense to have that be with feet, since that's so much more restricting than solving with just one hand.
16: Feet: Well, it's still just 3x3x3. I still feel like 3x3x3 is the most boring puzzle to solve. So these three are the worst for me.
15: 2x2x2: Yeah, this is boring too. A little less boring because I still feel like I might not have reached my limit for potential without inordinate amounts of practice.
14: Skewb: No matter how much I practice hedges and sledges, I'm still ridiculously slow at them. I tried an average of 12 at the new WR single scramble, and got a 2.75 average. I'm really bad at sledges.
13: Megaminx: Well, at my level of ability, it's basically just a whole lot of F2L followed by very incompetent LL with just a handful of algs. So yeah, this is still too much like 3x3x3 to climb this list very much.
12: Clock: It's fun, but not enough for me to spend much time practicing it.
11: Square-1: I used to enjoy this more, but getting better seems to require memorizing a bunch of algs and I just don't feel up to it.
10: 6x6x6: I've never cared as much for evens as odds, in general. 6x6x6 is too much of an in-between event for me to care much about it.
9: 5x5x5: I used to like this more, but these days I feel like I don't have enough time to be practicing something like this much.
8: Pyraminx: This has temporarily moved way up this list for me. I suspect it's only temporary, but suddenly I'm much better at it than I used to be, simply because I enjoy practicing master pyraminx so much, and I find that I improve rapidly at regular pyraminx as a result of it! I've gotten a bunch of new PBs on this (even if they still are terrible - they're great improvement for me) in the past few weeks as a result of my master pyraminx practice. And I think master pyraminx is surprisingly fun to solve (for now, anyway).
7: 7x7x7: If I'm going to do big cubes, I'd rather go for really big. Centers are the most fun part for me. Edges bore me.
6: 4x4x4: Since switching to Hoya a couple of years ago, this became a lot more fun. If I had more time to practice speedsolving, I'd probably focus on this for now. Hoya is still fun for me.
5: MultiBLD: Now that I actually have a shot at 16 cubes, this has become more fun again. I wish I had more time to practice. It's still a negative to me that for multiBLD, unlike the other BLD events, no matter how good you are, you still need to put in a full hour for a single attempt if you want to do your best.
4: 3x3x3 BLD: I don't seem to be able to improve much at this without lots of practice, and I just can't come up with enough time these days to put in that lots of practice. Someday though I hope to be able to do it again, because I really enjoy this event when I'm in practice.
3: FMC: This is great fun for me. But it would be even greater if I could put in the time to really learn some of the better techniques. I hope someday I can put in that time and get really better at this.
2: 4x4x4 BLD: Face facts, big cubes BLD are my thing. I love doing any big cube BLD. I'm pretty awful at 4BLD, but I still enjoy it.
1: 5x5x5 BLD: Of all the WCA events, definitely my favorite. If I could only practice one event for the rest of my life and it had to be a WCA event, this would be it. (If it didn't have to be a WCA event, it would probably be 7x7x7 BLD.)
You seems to really like blind!

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
These move around based on what I practice. I tend to think of events in groups. So exact order from 1-15 are not fixed.

18. Pyra It is a quick short event with not much to it.
17. 2x2 A short event too. Elite solvers are just doing speedBLD so it comes down to TPS.
16. Skewb Some as the other two above it but the turning is more interesting.
15. OH not that interested in. Just slow 3x3.
14. Feet Only practice with upcoming comps if at all.
13. Clock Same as feet.
12. MBLD haven't mentioned it yet.
11. 5x5 My current hardware influences this position.
10. Mega Do want to do more but I end up neglecting it..
9. 4x4 Same as 5x5.
8. 5BLD just that extra bit more than 5BLD which makes it that extra bit of effort.
7. Sq1 I want to learn CSP but I have been saying that for over 2 years.
6. FMC I find it frustrating since I never find good skeletons.
5. 6x6 better hardware moved this up.
4. 7x7 Centres are more interesting at this size.
3. 4BLD a bit longer than 3BLD but not as long as 5BLD
2. 3BLD despite my very low success rate (which I want to change).
1. 3x3 at the moment I want to improve in this at the most.

CarterK

WCA
2015KUCA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
As someone who enjoys and has a lot of experience with every event I thought I'd share my opinion.

18 - 4x4. idk what I have agains this event but I just never enjoy it and it gets really boring for me
17 - Clock. I can't get excited over 18 clock hands that move.
16 - 6x6. Too many pieces
15 - 7x7. same
14 - Mega - blockbuilding is fun but there's a bit too much of it
13 - Feet - 3x3 but not
12 - 2x2 - Fun to spam tps but good solutions are cool too, especially cancellations
11 - 5x5. Yau is fun and 5x5 is the perfect size
10 - 5bld. 4bld but more memo and more cool pieces, I don't enjoy it as much though
9 - Skewb. I like doing solutions that nobody else finds haha.
8 - 4bld. I really enjoy it and the comms are cool
7 - OH. Roux :)
6 - Sq1 - CSP and PBL tricks are cool
5 - MBLD. I've been improving a lot recently and it's really fun. Enjoy practicing a lot.
4 - 3x3. Super developed so there's a lot of cool tricks and stuff
3 - Pyra. It's interesting because of the many cool fingertricks and solutions you can do.
2 - 3BLD. You can do a lot of really cool tricks and when else do you get the chance to just talk random jibberish in the middle of your solves :p
1 - FMC. So many cool things you can do with your solves and I can just spend hours looking at a single scramble. Plus looking at other people's solutions is so fun

Electrical

This thread probably already exists, but I'll give it a shot anyway
(This is only my opinion)

18. 3x3 With Feet Why does this have to exist?
17. Clock There is really no point as it's not a twistly puzzle.
16. FMC It's so stupidly long and boring.
15. 7x7 It's kinda repetitive and long, and has the same basic solution to other big cubes.
14. 5BLD Too boring.
13. 4BLD Too much patience is needed.
12. 6x6 It just gets repetitive as you go up.
11. Pyraminx Fingertricks are awkward on it and it's too easy.
10. 3BLD Not really a fan of blind events.
9. MBLD Only people with lots of patience can handle this, but it's still really impressive.
8. Square-1 I like the way it turns, but the puzzle kinda looks ugly and parity is so long.
7. Skewb Fun event to do, but it's too easy.
6. OH Hard to get used to, but once you get used to it it's really fun and looks cool.
5. Megaminx Fun to practice and is basically an extension to 3x3, because you get to do F2L over again.
4. 4x4 Fun, but parity brings it up a bit.
3. 5x5 Challenging, but still fun to do.
2. 2x2 It's such a fast event and really easy to learn and get good at.
1. 3x3 Yes

Last edited:

aerocube

18. feet because we already have OH as a 3x3 with restrictions,so why add feet
17- FMC as i don't think i have the concentration to do an hour of looking for a solution on 3x3
16- sqan as it confuses me and i suck at cubeshape and still can't properly solve my squan,plus when you start the parity alg really sucks
15- skewb,i'm really slow at this event simply because i can't fingertrick it
14 - MBLD,i enjoy watching other BLD events though (apart from 5BLD and this because it's too long)
13- 5BLD,just a bit too long for my liking
12- OH , really cool watching people do this and i'm probably gonna learn how to grip the cube in OH when i'm sub-20 or sub-15
11 - mega,currently don't enjoy this for whatever reason but i might change and suddenly love it again
10- clock,looks cool and seems very intuitive. i think this is really underrated because hardware is so hard to get + it isn't a typical twisty puzzle.
9- 4BLD,really nice looking and a moderate challenge for anyone starting to enjoy BLD events
8 - pyra,the faster i get at stuff the more i enjoy it and i've been getting faster at pyra recently and don't take 5 seconds just on tips.
7- BLD,like the intuitive-style commutators people do on 3style
6- 5x5,i've been sucking on 5x5 due to my 6x6 being a way better cube than my 5x5 so i've been slower then i can be but i like big cubes
5- 4x4,i like the length as it's longer than 3x3 but shorter than 6x6 and 7x7 so a easier solve
4 - 3x3, fun to do whenever and a quick,easy solve
3 - 6x6,enjoy the freedom of center building and how easy it is for me to improve at the moment
2- 7x7,like 6x6 but no possibility of triple parity and with even bigger centers
1 - 2x2,all based on reaction speed and prediction and is a good way to help bring up TPS

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
Of the ones that I do:
10. Skewb: I hate how it turns, and I just suck at it.
9. OH: I'm bad at it, and I don't like to practice it.
8. 6x6: It takes a long time, and there are 3 parities.
7. Pyraminx: I'm bad at it, but it is still okay.
6. Megaminx: I like Megaminx, I am just bad at F2L, so the solve is a little less fun.
5. 3x3: There are too many algorithms to get good.
4. 4x4: Parity is the only thing keeping it from higher.
3. Square-1: It is a lot of fun to practice, and the turning looks really cool.
2. 5x5: Edge pairing is a lot of fun.
1. 2x2: I'm good at it, and it is a great way to increase TPS for other events.
Bump @ProStar