• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

WCA Color Regulations

Remish

Hi guys,

Sorry if this question is super ignorant. I was wondering what the regulations are as far as sticker color in comps. I know you can replace red with pink. What about the color purple? What color is purple supposed to replace? And are you only allowed to use purple if you are colorblind?

Thank you

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Relevant regulations:

3d) Puzzles must have coloured parts, which define the colour scheme of the puzzle and must be one and only one of the following: coloured stickers, coloured tiles, coloured plastic, or painted/printed colours. All coloured parts of a puzzle must be made of a similar material.
3d2) The colours of the coloured parts must be solid, with one uniform colour per face. Each colour must be clearly distinct from the other colours.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
On 3d2: Has there ever been consideration of allowing symbols to accommodate colorblind solvers? I know that most colorblindness is red-green, and other colors can be distinguished, but I know that there are some people who cannot distinguish any colors effectively. It's a very small number of people, but maybe worth considering?

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
On 3d2: Has there ever been consideration of allowing symbols to accommodate colorblind solvers? I know that most colorblindness is red-green, and other colors can be distinguished, but I know that there are some people who cannot distinguish any colors effectively. It's a very small number of people, but maybe worth considering?

For visually impaired, you're allowed to use textured stickers.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
For visually impaired, you're allowed to use textured stickers.

2-D or 3-D texture? if 2-D texture, why not black/white symbols or letters, and if 3-D wouldn't that fundamentally change the nature of the solve, since you could easily "see" the back side of the cube?

Equally unimportant, but has anyone who is significantly visually impaired tried to compete in blind solving? It could be an interesting variant even for sighted competitors to have two cubes with identical scrambles, one with textured stickers or braille dots for memorization and another with smooth stickers for solving, and the whole thing is done blindfolded.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
2-D or 3-D texture? if 2-D texture, why not black/white symbols or letters, and if 3-D wouldn't that fundamentally change the nature of the solve, since you could easily "see" the back side of the cube?

Equally unimportant, but has anyone who is significantly visually impaired tried to compete in blind solving? It could be an interesting variant even for sighted competitors to have two cubes with identical scrambles, one with textured stickers or braille dots for memorization and another with smooth stickers for solving, and the whole thing is done blindfolded.

3d1b) Colour blind competitors who cannot distinguish between the necessary number of colours may use coloured parts with patterns, if it has been explicitly approved according to Regulation 2s. Patterns may come from stickers or be drawn.

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Here is the regulation dealing with textured stickers

• 3d1a) Blind competitors may use textured puzzles with different textures on different faces. Each face should have a distinct colour, to aid in scrambling and judging.
So it's not for those that are visually impaired it would seem, only for those who are medically blind. I guess it makes more sense that.