• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Way of getting better at OH ?

Miikalsen

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello guys! Well, i need some tips I'm been practicing One hand solving for a week now. But my time is on 3.10 Minutes.. is there a way of getting better at moving the hand around ? Or any things i could do with the cube? (Both Zanchi, Lingyun)

It seems like i cant get the time down at all.. And i average about 46 sec on normal basis.

Thanks!

samkli

WCA
2012KLIN03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think OH feels uncomfortable for anyone in the beginning, but after some time of practise it feels much more comfortable. You can also practise solving with RU 2-gen scrambles, so you learn to perform R and U moves fast.
But just practise a lot and you will get faster.

Olji

Premium Member
WCA
2010JONS01
How many fingers are you using for turning layers?
The more fingers the better, but you also have to hold the cube steadly, I tend to use index and pinky, and for cube rotations I use a finger to rotate the whole cube and then get a regrip (except for z where I hold it on the F and B centers with ring finger and thumb and then push the cube in the way I want)

I only average sub-40, so I may have some flaws in my technique too.

One other thing is to get algoritms that feels good to use with one hand, two layers only is preferred mostly. Also play around with which hand feels most comfortable to solve with.

EDIT: And samkli got a point, OH will be a pain in the beginning but soon your hand will get used to it, just keep it up, and try to use a cube that's not to stiff (since it will be hard to move) nor to loose (overturns easly).

Last edited:

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just practice RrU gen stuff like casually scrambling like that.
Use your left index for U moves (you may wanna consider eido U2' as well or doubleflick but I'm sub-26 without those because I use my middle finger to grip)
For R moves use your ring finger. Just relax while solving. And rotate for any other moves than R U or M.
For LSE you want to be pressing the DR edge onto the table at like 45 degrees and doing M and U with ring and index. It's a pain at first but you'll get used to it. That's how most people do it.

I have a slightly different way of doing it, I think you've seen how I do it, but both are fast.

Remember, turn slow and look ahead! Although I'm not awful at OH, my turning still needs a lot of work, but I can still be somewhat fast because I don't pause at all/ pause very little.

Keep your hand close to the table so you can hit it on the table to align it or do M moves.

edit: I assume you're using Roux, as you have been telling me on skype, btw.

Miikalsen

YouTube
Visit Channel
I did use roux for a little while, but i felt that i didn't find it as fun as i do with Fridrich. So i do use full 2Look OLL/PLL.

But thanks for the tips everyone of you! And well.. Guess i'm back to more practise then.