• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Virginia Open 2008?

Kian

WCA
2007BARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
there are a bunch of tournaments in the northeast, and that's great, but i think another virginia open would be great. unfortunately i don't think adam lives around here so that may have been a one time thing...

Tim Reynolds

Premium Member
WCA
2005REYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmm, well my grandmother lives in Williamsburg. Problem is I'm going to college next year, so I absolutely cannot guarantee anything.

If you organize one and I am able to go, I will absolutely help out however possible, but I cannot guarantee that I will be able to go.

Lotsofsloths

WCA
2007SAHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmm, well my grandmother lives in Williamsburg. Problem is I'm going to college next year, so I absolutely cannot guarantee anything.

If you organize one and I am able to go, I will absolutely help out however possible, but I cannot guarantee that I will be able to go.

Thanks a bunch Tim!
I will see what I can do.
The thing is I rather host it down in Williamsburg as this is my first comp and the venue will be easy to set up and such. But other people want me to host it more north >.<

I was looking at Bob's website page for how to host a comp, do you think thats a good guide?

EDIT:
If we have a comp, it would probablly be November 22th 2008(Saturday).

Last edited:

Lotsofsloths

WCA
2007SAHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
After talking with a few people..
The 15th seems to be outstandingly ideal for them.
Because even though most people are off for the 22nd(thanksgiving) most people are also away.
So the 15th of November it will have to be.
Another question, After you have the venue chosen and the date chosen, and you know APROX. how many people will show up, what should I do next? Contact Bob?

Lotsofsloths

WCA
2007SAHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok so for events:

2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, 3x3 OH, 3x3 BLD, Pyraminx, Megaminx, Sq-1. How does that sound Daniel?

Hmm I think we scratch megaminx since it takes so long, and add Magic and Master magic. Also Sq-1 is kind of iffy...we should add it IF we have time.

2x2(1 round), 3x3(3 rounds), 4x4(1 round), 5x5(1 round), 3x3 OH(1 round), 3x3 BLD(1 round), Pyraminx(1 round), Magic(1 round), Mater Magic(1 round), Sq-1(???(1 round))

Tim Reynolds

Premium Member
WCA
2005REYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't be too adventurous for your first contest. Megaminx is way too hard to hold generally, especially with all those other events in one day. Unless you have people running a side event table, but that requires extra staff who can scramble, which may be tough to get. But magics are easy to run, they take like 15 minutes if you make people compete, or 30 minutes if you let them be slow and warm up a lot. And you may consider doing combined final for 5x5, but that largely depends on how the schedule looks later.

Bob's guide is very useful. Use it.

Incidentally I may be at my grandmother's in Williamsburg for Thanksgiving. If it were pushed back a week I could likely go, but it would take me way too long to get there from school. I know you probably can't move it, so I'll probably sit this one out.

Make sure the venue is available for that date, then contact Bob (or Chris Hardwick), then once it's all OK-ed, book the venue.

Siraj A.

WCA
2007ALIS01
So you can make the 15th? Thanksgiving is on the weekend of the 29th, correct? I'll be out of town from Thanksgiving until the 30th.

Kian

WCA
2007BARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm in Arlington and I'd have to figure out a few things with work but that would probably work and i could probably help, but i would also coordinate with mitchell if he does do another DC open. Which i know as of now he's not sure of.