• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Using speedsolving study skills to learn actually useful stuff

YouTube
Visit Channel
So I've learned PLL, F2L, VHLS, OLL, Coll, some ELL and WV.

I've seen cubers learning ZZLL, 2GLL, ZBLL, 3OP, OLLCP, 1LLL and 5cycle

And I was thinking: why not to learn....
USEFUL STUFF?
don't kill me

So I'm learning japanese again after pausing for years and found out that there are 2000+ kanjis (chinese characters used in japanese script) to learn.

One person might think of learning 10 random kanjis a day. But... That would be as hard and inneficient as learning 10 english words a day without knowing the letters of the english alphabet.

Instead of learning each individual kanji, you could learn the 214 radicals and their meaning and then you learn the combination of them in other kanjis.

just 1 example:

look at those kanjis:

人 person
木 tree

if you slightly modify the person kanji and put it near a tree, you get the "rest" kanji. You can imagine a person resting at the side of a tree

You can do the same with other kanjis.

Studying hard and using stories and mnemonics could make you be fluent in japanese in no time. And what I said until now is the hardest part of japanese, the kanji.

I'll continue studying japanese by myself mainly by using apps, books and videos.

So I want to know of you guys:

How speedsolving taught you to study and what do you want to learn?

Last edited:

Wish Lin

WCA
2018LINW02
So I've learned PLL, F2L, VHLS, OLL, Coll, some ELL and WV.

I've seen cubers learning ZZLL, 2GLL, ZBLL, 3OP, OLLCP, 1LLL and 5cycle

And I was thinking: why not to learn....
USEFUL STUFF?
don't kill me

So I'm learning japanese again after pausing for years and found out that there are 2000+ kanjis (chinese characters used in japanese script) to learn.

One person might think of learning 10 random kanjis a day. But... That would be as hard and inneficient as learning 10 english words a day without knowing the letters of the english alphabet.

Instead of learning each individual kanji, you could learn the 214 radicals and their meaning and then you learn the combination of them in other kanjis.

just 1 example:

look at those kanjis:

人 person
木 tree

if you slightly modify the person kanji and put it near a tree, you get the "rest" kanji. You can imagine a person resting at the side of a tree
The character "休" is a good example of what's known as a "associative compound".

There is another type of associative compound that uses only repeating characters, for instance:
"林" Which means forest(also my last name)
"磊" Which means a bunch of rocks

It's really good to check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_character_classification for learning kanjis which I assume is the same as learning Chinese characters.

I never encounter kanji problems(because I am a Chinese user myself XD)

Vim

I’m a teacher, and learning how to speedsolve puts me in the shoes of my students. Having to grasp hard and abstract concepts quickly, and having to juggle differents classes (events) is definitely hard. I try to come up with methods to learn efficiently so I can transmit them to my students.

So yeah, I’m already using speedsolving as a way to learn actually useful stuff!

YouTube
Visit Channel
Now I found out that there is lot of muscle memory involved on learning how to write.

I'm practicing writing kanji.

By repeating writing the same character over and over again you get into the flow of it, and writing other characters that follow the same rule gets natural.