• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Uncommon Method Competition | Payout and an Apology

Do you want to compete in the competition

• Total voters

Silky

I have been filming regularly and have recorded better averages than I posted earlier, but based on my current rate of progress, I will be lucky to post a 12.50 Ao12 by Feb 28, which, by the looks of things, would get second place even in the best scenario! Regardless, I'm mostly competing against myself so I will push onwards! Good luck to everyone and I urge everyone to post, regardless of whatever your time is.
And remember prizes are limited to one per competitor so even if you don't place in the top three you still have a chance at wining money :)

D

Deleted member 55877

Hey I made my own variation of the columns method, it's pretty unique and I even came up with some algs for it. Can I participate?

D

Deleted member 55877

Absolutely. Mind sharing the method?
Of course!
1. Make 4 column "stubs", kind of like CFOP F2L without cross or Roux F2B without DL/DR edges solved
2. CxLL to finish columns
3. Orient edges in U and D layers, pretty intuitive
4. Permutation, this step is pretty flexible and I'm in the process of making algs for it

efattah

Regarding the new columns method, if you can get to full columns, I would suggest solving a single E2L pair or triplet with LMCF style algs, then you can finish with L5E or LSE roux style. Unlike LMCF, Roux-LSE would work because at worst the L/R slices would be off by an R2, allowing edge orientation recog to work; in LMCF R can be off by a 1/4 turn, which prevents Roux LSE from working.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just curious, how long does it usually take you to recognize and execute a 5-style case?
Most of the algs are sub-1.5 able, and recognition time varies, can be trained to be as good as split second.

In a normal 3x3 scramble, there are about 3 5-cycles of edges, for corners, I just use the RUD UFR 3-style comms as they are super fast.

Silky

Just a friendly reminder that there are 3 weeks left for this comp !! Get your video submissions in !!

A small update for me.. I'll be recording solves in the next few weeks. Hopefully will get sub-20 by the end :)

Last edited:

efattah

I strongly urge everyone to post your latest average, even if it is 30 seconds. The more videos posted, the more it motivates others to post, and the purpose here is not to win, but to promote the idea of other methods being viable.

efattah

Submissions thus far? So far just you (DNF_cuber) although your videos seem to be deleted from youtube, and then my post (14.67). I also have a 14.44 on video that I haven't posted yet, was waiting for a sub-14 to post in the next week or two.

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Preliminary submission, Mehta 10.94 avg5, 11.79 avg12

Sorry it's mirrored. Hopefully I can get better.

Average of 12: 11.794
1. 11.459 B2 R2 D U L2 U B2 F2 L2 B2 R2 B D2 L U R' U L' U' L U2
2. 11.570 D2 L F B L' B2 L U R F B2 L U2 F2 D2 F2 R' U2 D2 R2 B2
3. 9.800 F L2 F2 U2 F U2 R2 B R2 F' L2 D B U2 L2 R2 U2 F2 R' D' B2
4. (9.134) D L2 F2 D2 U2 L2 U F2 U' B2 U L' D L' R B R U2 R D' L2
5. (16.992) D2 B' L2 F' U2 B U2 L2 U2 R2 B2 R F U2 B' R D' F U' F2
6. 16.138 B2 D' L2 U' L2 B2 U2 L2 R2 F2 U2 R F' R' U B' R F' U' L2 U2
7. 12.098 U F2 R2 U L2 R2 D B2 D2 R2 U B' R F2 L' D2 B' L U' R U2
8. 9.778 R' U' B2 D' L' D' R2 B L U2 B2 D F2 B2 L2 U B2 L2 D2
9. 9.317 B2 U' F2 U2 B2 D' L2 U' B2 U' B2 R' F D2 B R D' F' R
10. 12.763 B D2 L2 F' R2 F2 L2 F' D2 U R' U2 F2 D R U2 L2
11. 14.428 U2 L2 D R2 F2 L2 B2 D' L2 U' R' B' F L F2 R' B2 D2 R'
12. 10.584 B2 L2 U B2 L2 U L2 U2 R2 D U2 L' U L2 D2 U F' L' D B U

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'll record and post some Tripod videos soon. I haven't uploaded any yet because I'm actually a lot busier than I expected with classes and work so I haven't been able to learn that many algs for it. Currently working on finishing up learning the pure OLLs so I can do PLL into Pure OLL if I don't know the tripod alg, so I can at least show I learned some algs. I am planning on learning the full Tripod set since it comes up in CFOP enough to be easy to recognize.

voidrx

Welcome to the Uncommon Method Competition ! This is a competition to see who can get the fastest time with non-Big 4 methods ! There will be 160$ in prizes and we hope you will participate. This competition will be running until Feb 28th 2021.

Format:
  1. The competition is split into 2 categories (1) experimental/novel methods and (2) hybrid/variant methods. Participants will choose a non-Big 4 methods to compete with and will be placed accordingly. Along with the Big-4 ZB and Freefop will not be allowed due to their similarity to CFOP. If you plan to participate please let us know what method you will be using. These are the current methods being used and their categories.
    1. Experimental/Novel
      Hybrid/Variant
      LMCF/Corners First​
      ZBRoux/LLOB​

SSC/ECE​
      Tripod​

Mehta​
      LEOR​

HK​
      PCMS​

Russo​
      42​

Waterman​
Rules:
  1. Competitors will submit a video of their fastest average of 5 and or 12 using their chosen method. These submissions will be on a rolling basis, so as you get faster times to can update your video submissions accordingly. Submissions will end Feb 28th at 12:00 EST. Each submission should also contain the scrambles for each solve. The timer and scramble should be visible in the video.
Prizes:
  1. The prizes will be split into 4 categories (1) Novel/Experimental average of 5, (2) Novel/experimental average of 12, (3) Hybrid/Variant average of 5, (4) Hybrid/Variant average of 12. The top 3 fastest results of each category will receive a cubicle gift card. 1st place will receive $20, 2nd, $15, and 3rd $5 in each respective category.
  2. Competitors will be limited to only one gift card. If one person were to win both fastest average of 5 and 12 in the Novel/Experimental category they would receive one first place prize and the second prize would go to next fastest competitor. Even if you don't place in the top 3 you still have a chance to win prizes !!

Check out this wiki page for an extensive list of methods here.

If you have any questions feel free to ask !
Good luck to all of our competitors :)

The fastest times in each method have a chance of being displayed in the Fastest Video of Each Method thread !
to submit times, do I just reply to this post?