• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Uncommon Method Competition | Payout and an Apology

Do you want to compete in the competition

• Total voters

Silky

I had a concern about this:

Some quirky methods are novel only in-part, while some are completely novel.
Heise for example shares no steps with the big-4;
Tripod starts off like petrus upto 2x2x3, then deviates quite a bit;
Something like 42 is very close to Roux except instead of LS+CMLL+EO, you do corner+c-CMLL+EOedge

So if someone who has done lots of Roux does 42, s/he's going to get close to their Roux times with little practice because they already have FB, SB-square, and LSE down, and know CMLL algs. But no matter which of the big four you main, you'll have considerable trouble getting close to your times with Heise because you're doing something completely new on all steps. Tripod falls somewhere in the middle.
So going by solve-times alone is probably not a fair way to compare entires.

If there was a way to factor in the novelty of the method compared to big-4, like "somehow" separating the methods into 2-3 catagories depending on how similar they are to a big-4 variant, or some other way, it would be considerably more fair and the results could potentially even be useful.
Not sure how practical this is though.
I don't disagree. However, right now it seems that the best approach is to make things as accessible as possible. My original idea was focusing on fewer methods with large potential; I think is a much better approach but it seemed a bit to restrictive for the first iteration of this competition. I also had the idea of having teams competing against one another with a few specific methods. I already have plans to hold another competition down the line and hopefully if this competition gets enough engagement we can implement these more targeted ideas. PM me and we can brainstorm more.

Devagio

What if I did 42 but my main method is CFOP?
This is precisely one part of why this is a complicated problem. Your 42 results would be close to as difficult to improve at as your heise results (if we ignore internet roux resources).
One possible solution is to assume everyone knows each of the big-4. Pretty terrible idea, but if we're judging the best 42 solve, it will likely come from someone with ample roux practice done already. But this would mean (assuming you're competing to win) you should either compete in the category of completely novel methods, or pick a method that is closer to CFOP than any of the other big-4. This of course destroys part of the reason this competition is there in the first place.

Silky

This is precisely one part of why this is a complicated problem. Your 42 results would be close to as difficult to improve at as your heise results (if we ignore internet roux resources).
One possible solution is to assume everyone knows each of the big-4. Pretty terrible idea, but if we're judging the best 42 solve, it will likely come from someone with ample roux practice done already. But this would mean (assuming you're competing to win) you should either compete in the category of completely novel methods, or pick a method that is closer to CFOP than any of the other big-4. This of course destroys part of the reason this competition is there in the first place.
Would you suggest a Variant category, a Hybrid category, and a novel/experimental category ?

Devagio

Would you suggest a Variant category, a Hybrid category, and a novel/experimental category ?
Seems like a decent segregation if we are to go by that Idea. I believe this is what it would look like:
Variants: 42(explained above), LEOR? (FB from Roux, SB+LL from ZZ)
Hybrids: PCMS, HK, Waterman?
Novel/experimental: Heise, Mehta, SSC, LMCF?
Might need a structured reasoning of why a method is in a given category, I've put ? after the ones I'm unsure about. We could now expand on this list to add FreeFOP, ZBRoux, etc.

Silky

Seems like a decent segregation if we are to go by that Idea. I believe this is what it would look like:
Variants: 42(explained above), LEOR? (FB from Roux, SB+LL from ZZ)
Hybrids: PCMS, HK, Waterman?
Novel/experimental: Heise, Mehta, SSC, LMCF?
Might need a structured reasoning of why a method is in a given category, I've put ? after the ones I'm unsure about. We could now expand on this list to add FreeFOP, ZBRoux, etc.
The potential issue is that if there isn't enough competitors in each category than its an easy W. So you would need like 10 in each category and it's most like that you'll have a concentration in one category than spread out between all three.
Wait but that's his main method
I mean it's still an uncommon method. LMCF is efattah's main and that's not really a problem.

Silky

So I've decided to compete. Thinking of using either Waterman or SSC ( L6E or EZD ). Thoughts? I figure Waterman would be easier since I'm a Roux solver but SSC-L6E is Rouxesque as well.

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
Here is my submission! If I get a better average, I will edit this post. I put some music over the video because my brother and sister were being loud.

Submission #1 (12-28-20)
1. (1:09.711) R2 B' R U2 D R' B2 L D' F2 L2 B2 L F2 L U2 B2 U2 R' F2
2. (34.542) F2 D' R2 D' L2 D F2 D L2 D R2 D2 R B2 D U F' L B D' F2
3. 47.220 F' D2 F2 R2 D2 B' R2 U2 F' L2 R2 F' D' R2 F' L B2 D2 B
4. 42.979 L B' R U2 D2 L D F' U B2 U2 B' R2 F U2 R2 F' L2 D2 B
5. 35.332 L2 U2 F U2 B F D2 F2 U2 F' D2 F' D' F' U F' L' F U B U
Average: 41.844

Sumbmission #2 (2-15-21)
1. 27.30 R2 B' D' L F U2 D2 L U' D2 L2 F2 U2 F2 U2 F' L2 U2 B D2 L2
2. (23.60) B R' B2 R2 U2 F' D2 F U2 R2 D' L' R F' U L R' B
3. 26.04 D' F B R U D' R D2 F R2 L2 D2 B' U2 B L2 B' L2 D2 R B2
4. (41.68) D R2 U2 B2 U L2 R2 B2 D L2 R2 U R' D2 R' D2 B L' R B' D