• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

UK University Cubing Societies (Notts)

ryanj92

WCA
2012JONE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey,
I am a student at the University of Nottingham, and for the past few months I've been toying about with the idea of setting up a Rubik's cube/twisty puzzles society. I wondered if anybody's done this before, and how it went down with the Student's Union, how many people were interested, etc.
Just looking for some general pointers and ideas really.

The ultimate aim is to be able to host a competition, seeing as UK tournaments anywhere above London up seem to be non-existent!

Thanks,
Ryan

(If we have any UoN-based cubers who'd be interested in helping me get this idea off the ground, then please let me know!)

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi Ryan,

I was also thinking about doing this, but I didn't want to set it up alone. I've been a student for almost two years. I'm pretty sure there wasn't a society last year. I've never set up a society before but I would sure like to help. Hopefully I wont be too busy with exam revision. I've met random people from the magic society who can solve a rubik's cube, or are partly interested in twisty puzzles. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who would be willing to join the society.

samehsameh

Why are they called societies in the UK (as opposed to clubs in the US)?
Why not? Its our language you ruined it.

On Topic, im from loughborough (inbetween leicester and nottingham for the geographicaly challenged) and theres a couple of us that speed cube here that might be interested. Ive broken my hand again and cant cube atm but i want to go to a competition of some sort if that could be aranged.

MaeLSTRoM

WCA
2011WALL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
We call them both actually but usually club is reserved for popular sports and super popular games like chess etc...

We will probably have a comp in October or November :) as long as everything goes to plan

I would try and advoid november, since UKOpen is usually then, and 2 comps in one month is pushing it for some people

MalusDB

YouTube
Visit Channel
I know only 2 people from my Uni who can solve the cube other than me (Queen's University Belfast btw). I would like to have a society but I don't think that it would flourish unless there is someone who is willing/capable of dedicating to giving some kind of structured events. Honestly I don't really know what it's main activities would be. Meet up and solve together? You don't need a society for that. Seems like extra bother for something relatively easy to do. Enlighten me if I'm missing something here please.

CubeRoots

WCA
2012LIVS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know only 2 people from my Uni who can solve the cube other than me (Queen's University Belfast btw). I would like to have a society but I don't think that it would flourish unless there is someone who is willing/capable of dedicating to giving some kind of structured events. Honestly I don't really know what it's main activities would be. Meet up and solve together? You don't need a society for that. Seems like extra bother for something relatively easy to do. Enlighten me if I'm missing something here please.

Well we meet up weekly to solve and learn/discuss a certain method/topic/technique. Socials. Comps. We get funding for equipment and get to buy puzzles and timers displays etc. Affiliating with a uni gives you the chance to get venue hire for an event (for example the competition we're arranging atm)

MalusDB

YouTube
Visit Channel
Well we meet up weekly to solve and learn/discuss a certain method/topic/technique. Socials. Comps. We get funding for equipment and get to buy puzzles and timers displays etc. Affiliating with a uni gives you the chance to get venue hire for an event (for example the competition we're arranging atm)

True that, funding for equipment is always good. If I had been cubing before I started Uni I may have actually considered this, but since I'm going into my final year next year I would be leaving after I set it up practically. Hmm. Hope it works out for you, the more competitions in UK the better :D

CubeRoots

WCA
2012LIVS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
hopefully haha. It's literally only just been set up but it's looking good so far. When our union has confirmed a venue and stuff and dan and i arrange a date I will be posting a thread about the comp

Mollerz

Swag Overlord
WCA
2011MOLL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was going to go to Notts and start up a cubing society with Rob, but plans changed when I decided to change course so I'll either be going to Birmingham or Hull now. I was planning on starting a twisty puzzles society of some kind wherever I went anyway :p

WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why is always you English people that are organised in the UK? I probably couldn't organise a comp even if I tried, and everyone that I know of who is prepared/capable lives far away. Curse my uselessness. October/November comp might work for me though, I'll keep an eye on this.

Anyone around Glasgow city centre? Strathclyde Uni maybe?

scotzbhoy

WCA
2009COGH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nottingham was my first choice, I just didn't get the grades :(
I'm at the University of London, there's no-one at my college who cubes but I'm at one of the smaller ones, so there may be people at other colleges who do.