• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

UK Cube Association

kinch2002

Premium Member
WCA
2009SHEP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Today, I'm pleased to announce the formation of the UK Cube Association (UKCA)!

This is a project that has been thought through over the last few months and is now coming to fruition. The intention of this National Organisation is to provide a central information and financial hub for all UK Cubers. The project has received verbal support from a number of people including WCA and Seventowns, although has only discussed at any length by a few people. No formal organisation structure has been decided yet, but so you're aware of who's behind this at the moment, myself (Daniel Sheppard) and Joey Gouly have undertaken the majority of the work thus far.

Below is a brief run-down of some of the features that will most likely be available in the future. The time has come for you all to contribute to this by showing general support, raising concerns or suggesting ideas.

Home page: Latest headlines/articles, random widgets including an email subscription box, which will ensure you don't miss any important news for things such as new competition announcements.

Competitions: Every UK competition will be strongly encouraged to use the UKCA website to host their information. Each competition will have their own sub pages of 'Events', 'Registration', 'Accommodation' and so forth.

Links: A page with links to other useful sites.

Cuber Map: Similar to that seen on CubingUSA. There will be a map of the United Kingdom, and you can add a pin where you are located. This lets people know which cubers are near you!

Multimedia: Embedded videos and links to image albums from competitions (this may end up in the competition sub-pages).

Guides/FAQs: Generally aimed towards new cubers and people who haven't competed before but will contain vital information!

Records/Rankings/Stats: UK related statistics from the official WCA website.

About: Small section of info about UKCA and the team behind it.

A forum has been dismissed for now as we feel the Speedsolving forum provides all we need. A shop has also been dismissed for the moment as nobody has the time nor knowledge to even start thinking about whether this would be useful or economically viable.

On the financial side, a bank account will be set up in the very near future. A central account will provide the backbone to the ongoing development of the UK cubing scene without having to rely on Seventowns for everything we do.
No rules have been set in stone yet, but a number are being considered including:
1. Competitions having to run some/all finances through the association. Profits/losses could be (partially) absorbed.
2. A system similar to the USA where £1 or similar would have to be donated to the UKCA for each competitor.

Please make reasoned arguments for/against these and any other ideas you might have for finances.

We also need a logo, so get designing Maybe a cube with UKCA or just UK somehow incorporated into it?

Last edited:

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been waiting for someone this up. A couple of things I'd like to add:
- A forum that discusses competitions in more detail. If registration is through the website, then people would look there for the forum instead of here.
- The donation is a nice idea. Maybe a £1/year membership cost would be nice - affordable, but would also bring in the necessary funds. It may need to be more to start off with.

Mollerz

Swag Overlord
WCA
2011MOLL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been waiting for someone this up. A couple of things I'd like to add:
- A forum that discusses competitions in more detail. If registration is through the website, then people would look there for the forum instead of here.

The thing with this is, all information for the competition will be provided on the webpage, any extra information that would be required are very niche things usually. We have a very good forum here at speedsolving so it would not be necessary. It is a lot of extra upkeep which is in no way useful. We post the competition thread on speedsolving as well and if anything about it needs to be discussed, it can be done on this forum on the specific competition thread.

- The donation is a nice idea. Maybe a £1/year membership cost would be nice - affordable, but would also bring in the necessary funds. It may need to be more to start off with.

I personally don't like the idea of a membership fee. I think it would perhaps discourage newer cubers from joining the community and therefore attending competitions. If we follow what CubingUSA does and have participants make a minimum £1 donation for each competition towards the UKCA, we will probably take in more money than a membership fee, it is also much easier to do it this way as well. £1 is also a very little amount, it is just a small part of a coffee or a snack you can go without for once. But with this donation it also potentially allows cheaper registration fees or better venues for future competitions. This is obviously a minimum donation and if someone wanted to donate more to help the UK community then then by all means are allowed to.

cubernya

Premium Member
I forgot to mention: We need a logo, so get designing :) Maybe a cube with UKCA or just UK somehow incorporated into it?

I'm up for it. Any sort of theme or anything to follow?

I'd also be willing to make a web template for this

Last edited:

Selkie

Premium Member
WCA
2011WRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Awesome idea Dan and great to see an initiative to unite our band of awesome solvers. Big thumbs up from me :D

If you need any assistance in any way moving forward it would be a pleasure to help.