• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Trying To Magnetize A Kilominx

WCA
2018TRUD02
Thread starter #1
Hi, I am new to this website. I joined because I have an interest in trying to magnetize a Kilominx, but I am unsure if it is a viable idea. I decided that I would be able to reach a larger group of cubers via this website.

I am planning on using a Shengshou Kilominx, and I think the best option is to do a corner-edge scheme. I think it will be rather difficult though to get the magnets into the edges. I may have to drill some holes to make room for them. The corners shouldn't be too hard though.

I was unable to find any post or video about someone trying to magnetize a Kilominx, so I am assuming that it either hasn't been thought of or attempted yet, or that it is impossible.

Any thoughts? Tips? Ideas?

It may be much more difficult than you realize. Since it is an even-ordered puzzle (compare to a 2x2 or 4x4 cube), you'll run into a situation where, for example, if you simply place single magnets in each corner and edge, you'll get polarities mixed up. As it is an even-ordered puzzle, all corners and edges are essentially the same thing, yet some of them have to be north while others have to be south for them to attract, right? This is solved by doubling up magnets, so that every points of contact will have both north and south facing magnets, so they'll be able to attract regardless of orientation.

So in theory, a magnetic kilominx is possible (it should take the same amount of magnets as a megaminx), but in reality, it is a nightmare due the logistics inside each piece. In ShengShou's case, they are not caps, but instead have strangely-designed asymmetrical compartments that'll make magnet placement just plain torture. And if that wasn't bad enough, the points of contact between each edge of each piece in a kilominx is so tiny, they're practically two angles gracing each other (as opposed to flat walls of a regular cube), meaning there's virtually no room to glue magnets there, anyway, let alone TWO magnets in each of these corners. You will need magnets SO tiny and SO strong (because yay ShengShou loves to use ridiculously thick plastic) for it to be remotely viable. The amount of hard work as well as the amount of costly and specialized measured magnets you'll be needing may not be worth of the result.

Until kilominx/kibiminx becomes a real WCA event, hardware innovation may never evolve beyond what we have now.