• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

My General Cubing Progress

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That's what I have been doing. bases on my last update about my progress I put a no swap and diag swap for T. I find it easy that way

Yeah, my theory is if you said this rather than "I just don't care" people might have been more understanding. I might be wrong.

People just want to help. There isn‘t any downside to learning COLL first, like none what so ever. Only benefits.
There‘s not a single reason not to go that route, so naturally people will assume you don‘t understand when you say you don‘t want to do it. Nobody is holding you at gunpoint though, so you do you :D

I don't think there is much of a benefit over the method I described. At least, I think personal preference is a perfectly acceptable reason not to want to learn COLL first.

Nilsibert

WCA
2014FREY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't think there is much of a benefit over the method I described. At least, I think personal preference is a perfectly acceptable reason not to want to learn COLL first.

I probably exaggerated a bit in my post. In the end, ZBLL needs a lot of drilling anyway so the benefit of learning COLL is probably not as big as it seems. I do still think there's not really a downside though, but personal preference is a good reason I have to admit. Whatever keeps motivation up.

BlastKracken7

YouTube
Visit Channel
This is just my reccomendation but I would learn all of T before U so you can drill all of T at once and never encounter a t case you don’t know
That is what I am doing. I just know that 1 U case because it is the pure one.

so I found a good way to drill ZBLLs. I take 3 3x3s and get them all to look like the zbll. afterwards I solve 2 of them repeatedly until I think i know it. then I solve the other one without looking at the alg. This helped me learn 5 last night. Can yall tell me if this is a good method for drilling?

BlastKracken7

YouTube
Visit Channel
weekly update:

T: 27/72:
No Swap: 12/12
Diag Swap: 12/12
Back Swap: 3/12​
U: 1/72
: No swap: 1/12

slow week. aslthough I was focused on getting a sub-20 ao5. I got a 20.604...…..

fortissim2

WCA
2016LAUI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Some COLL cases are not very important to learn, either because they're very long or they're very inefficient. Someone from the r/Cubers Discord channel said that only 19/45 COLL cases are worth learning, making it less than half of the whole set.
If you were to learn ZBLL, then more than half of the cases may be pretty inefficient/slow, so just be aware of that. On the other hand, good luck! :D

xyzzy

Some COLL cases are not very important to learn, either because they're very long or they're very inefficient. Someone from the r/Cubers Discord channel said that only 19/45 COLL cases are worth learning, making it less than half of the whole set.
If you were to learn ZBLL, then more than half of the cases may be pretty inefficient/slow, so just be aware of that.
Of course there are some cases that are better and some that are worse; of course they're not equally fast. If one is going to learn the whole set of ZBLL algs anyway, what does it matter?

(I mean, it does sort of matter if you roughly know which subsets are the fastest for you, so you can try to force e.g. T sets to show up more frequently when solving your last slot, but this isn't information that should affect how one would go about learning ZBLL itself.)

ZBLL is a sizeable 1LLL subset; it replaces two-look last layer with one-look last layer when applicable. It's not like COLL (or its superset, OLLCP) where you still need to do EPLL afterwards (and hence is still two-look). Assuming execution/recognition are perfect, it's literally impossible for a ZBLL alg to be strictly slower than any "two-look-two-alg" way of solving the case—were that the case, the ZBLL alg would just be a combo of whatever those two-look algs are, and they'd be of equal speed.

Last edited:

RyanP12

WCA
2019PUSH02
It’s very impressive what you are accomplishing. My advice is to don’t always listen to what other people say. Cubing is for fun, and to experiment and try new things. Just because other people learned ZBLL at sub 8 doesn’t mean you have to. Good Luck!