• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

TPS & Triggers

Noblesuntzu

I've been solving for over a year, but definitely would still be considered a beginner (average 50s with beginners method + weak F2L). I recently decided I wanted to up my game, so I started looking into CFOP and am currently working on 8- move cross, efficient f2l, and 2-look OLL & PLL (I am planning on learning full OLL and PLL, just want a basis for now).

Anyway, the questions I have are; how do I increase my TPS (specifically on algorithms, not entire solve), and what are some triggers I should familiarize myself with to make learning advanced CFOP easier? Obviously I know I must practice the algorithms for TPS but are there any other tips for this? If you do suggest any triggers it would be very helpful if you put the name as well as the algorithm.

Thanks for your time <3

The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multi stage...
Definitely familiarize yourself with sexy move (R U R’ U) sledgehammer (R’ F R F’) j perm trigger (R U R’ F’) Other than that, just drill them and do a bunch of solves with them. Get good at Z perms and H perms and U perms, you will see them almost every solve. You seem to be on the right track other than that! Just make sure it’s a hobby and something that is fun, you don’t want to over stress yourself.

Etotheipi

I've been solving for over a year, but definitely would still be considered a beginner (average 50s with beginners method + weak F2L). I recently decided I wanted to up my game, so I started looking into CFOP and am currently working on 8- move cross, efficient f2l, and 2-look OLL & PLL (I am planning on learning full OLL and PLL, just want a basis for now).

Anyway, the questions I have are; how do I increase my TPS (specifically on algorithms, not entire solve), and what are some triggers I should familiarize myself with to make learning advanced CFOP easier? Obviously I know I must practice the algorithms for TPS but are there any other tips for this? If you do suggest any triggers it would be very helpful if you put the name as well as the algorithm.

Thanks for your time <3
What cube to you have? Because if your on a rubiks brand your not gonna be able to do triggers and increase tps very much. Edit: i read your about, which said you werent on a rubiks brand.

Last edited:

Noblesuntzu

Honestly Roux and Petrus look like something I would enjoy as a hobby but I don't think I would ever get very fast at them. Still probably going to learn them though :p (as a side note, solving a cube in alternate ways is like super fun? eg. solving a cube INTO the 'checkered' pattern is just kind of satisfying lol)

Honestly Roux and Petrus look like something I would enjoy as a hobby but I don't think I would ever get very fast at them. Still probably going to learn them though :p (as a side note, solving a cube in alternate ways is like super fun? eg. solving a cube INTO the 'checkered' pattern is just kind of satisfying lol)
I kind of thought the same thing until I switched to roux. If you like a method and the way it works, stick to it!

Etotheipi

I tried solving it into checker board with cfop and roux, and i cant tell which is easier.

Apolo

I've been improving pretty fast and what I think you should do is do a LOT of solves, this is what will increase your speed and do a ton of sexy moves to warm up :) good luck !

Noblesuntzu

I tried solving it into checker board with cfop and roux, and i cant tell which is easier.
I'm not super familiar with Roux but I imagine I'd find it easier with Roux as the pattern is visual and it's hard to think about it when you do f2l or permutations (because in Roux you're building in blocks). Again, not familiar with Roux so I might just be spewing garbage right out of my mouth ;)

Etotheipi

I'm not super familiar with Roux but I imagine I'd find it easier with Roux as the pattern is visual and it's hard to think about it when you do f2l or permutations (because in Roux you're building in blocks). Again, not familiar with Roux so I might just be spewing garbage right out of my mouth ;)
that sounds about right. :p

rustydabeast

well i really suck. I only get an average of 18 seconds. My pb is 11.88 seconds, but i got really lucky. So, yeah i average 18 seconds

well i really suck. I only get an average of 18 seconds. My pb is 11.88 seconds, but i got really lucky. So, yeah i average 18 seconds
18 seconds is quite good! You won’t get anywhere if you’re hard on yourself. Honestly, I can’t really give advice as I use roux, but before doing anything else, I would learn full OLL and just track the pieces for your first pair while you’re doing cross. You don’t need to plan them yet, but that will help you a lot I think. I highly encourage any high-level CFOP solver to correct me, but that is what I would recommend.

But if you think of it that way, you’ll be completely negative about your trip up, making it more difficult and then longer. That’s a great long-term goal to have, but start by setting a goal like getting sub 16 by working on small parts of your solve. Don’t try to accomplish it all in one run; it will demotivate you.

Want to hide this ad and support the community?