• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Top speedcubers with restrictions

Lykos

Hello,

I am wondering which kind of aspects of speedcubing are more important and which ones are less. For that reason, I am very interested in good speedcubers who do solves with some additional restrictions. For example:

- There exist several videos on YouTube where top speedcubers solve cubes using moderate turning speed and still get sub 10 averages.
- There exist several videos on YouTube where top speedcubers solve cubes using 2 look OLL or even 4LLL and are still very fast.
- I heard Feliks Zemdegs can do the beginners method in ~16 seconds.

Are there any more known things like this? In particular, I would be interested in:
- No fingertricks. I.e. always turn one face using the whole hand.
- Using one of those old crappy cubes that are super hard to turn.
- No lookahead. (Probably hard to test because they are so trained to always do lookahead)
- Solve the 4x4 as a 3x3. I.e. the 3x3 stage of a 4x4 cube.
- Using a different cross color for non color Independent cubers.
Etc. Maybe someone else has some nice ideas.

- No fingertr

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sion

Hello,

I am wondering which kind of aspects of speedcubing are more important and which ones are less. For that reason, I am very interested in good speedcubers who do solves with some additional restrictions. For example:

- There exist several videos on YouTube where top speedcubers solve cubes using moderate turning speed and still get sub 10 averages.
- There exist several videos on YouTube where top speedcubers solve cubes using 2 look OLL or even 4LLL and are still very fast.
- I heard Feliks Zemdegs can do the beginners method in ~16 seconds.

Are there any more known things like this? In particular, I would be interested in:
- No fingertricks. I.e. always turn one face using the whole hand.
- Using one of those old crappy cubes that are super hard to turn.
- No lookahead. (Probably hard to test because they are so trained to always do lookahead)
- Solve the 4x4 as a 3x3. I.e. the 3x3 stage of a 4x4 cube.
- Using a different cross color for non color Independent cubers.
Etc. Maybe someone else has some nice ideas.

- No fingertr

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I think whole hand per face turning should be a challenge. But atm, I think that record holder is Minh Thai. If you watch his 1982 solve, he uses the whole hand, since finger tricks weren't developed as much then.

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think whole hand per face turning should be a challenge. But atm, I think that record holder is Minh Thai. If you watch his 1982 solve, he uses the whole hand, since finger tricks weren't developed as much then.
Look at videos from 2003. They still didn't use finger tricks like cubers do now.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
It's not that fingertricks weren't developed back then, it's that the cubes were physically incapable of being fingertricked. I can fingertrick my modern cubes just fine, and I can even fingertrick a Rubik's brand, but if I try solve my cube from the 80's I have to use my whole hand.

SenorJuan

The problem with finger-tricking in the old days was this: if you adjusted your cube so it was loose enough to make finger turns viable, it was too loose for the full hand turn, and would lock/explode. And if you set up your tensions for normal full hand turns, any viable finger turn would be slow, and of little advantage.
I'm an 80's cuber, and I definitely did a few 'TPS challenges' against my schoolmates, commonly using algs that featured what's now "the sexy move". 6 TPS was the rate we were doing, what normally stopped most cubers of that time being fast was poor methods, with high move-count.