• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Tommy Cherry's Weilong GTS3M Review: the best cube I have tried?

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Last Wednesday, I picked up a Tommy Cherry's Weilong GTS3M, along with 15cc DNM 37 and a Diamond file. (Not for the cube, I promise you). I also got a free 3cc Cubicle Labs silk.
On Saturday, I received the package. And honestly, I am impressed.
THE UNBOXING: I found the GTS3M in a nice back with a wonderful gold wireframe lettering and handles with the same color. It had a tag that said "Tommy Cherry's GTS3M". Oobt, the puzzle came in a plastic wrap with stickers inside the wrap. There was also the adjustment tools, but I didn't really care about that for the moment. I unwrapped the cube... and let my sister solve it from the scrambled state, since I made a promise to her. She approved. The worst part of the unboxing was that the cube didn't come with it's standard stand/box in the standard puzzle.
MY FIRST TURNS: When my sister gave me back the cube and I got in my first turns... oh my. The puzzle was what I wanted in every single puzzle from that point out. The puzzle had excellent corner cutting, turned at a decent speed, and didn't pop easily. On sunday I wiped the cube to see what it would feel like without any lubricant, then apply an Angstrom set-up that I liked.
PROS: The puzzle is fast, corner cuts decently well for the regular and reverse, and doesn't pop easily. It is stable and fast. Also, the ridges
CONS: It corner-twists easily.
THOUGHTS OVERALL: The puzzle is really great, and I appreciate the ridges.
If you want, you can pick up one here: https://www.thecubicle.com/collections/premium-cubes/products/tommy-cherrys-weilong-gts3-m
Picture:IMG_20220315_090826.jpg

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
Last Wednesday, I picked up a Tommy Cherry's Weilong GTS3M, along with 15cc DNM 37 and a Diamond file. (Not for the cube, I promise you). I also got a free 3cc Cubicle Labs silk.
THE UNBOXING: I found the GTS3M in a nice back with a wonderful gold wireframe lettering and handles with the same color. It had a tag that said "Tommy Cherry's GTS3M". Oobt, the puzzle came in a plastic wrap with stickers inside the wrap. There was also the adjustment tools, but I didn't really care about that for the moment. I unwrapped the cube... and let my sister solve it from the scrambled state, since I made a promise to her. She approved. The worst part of the unboxing was that the cube didn't come with it's standard stand/box in the standard puzzle.
MY FIRST TURNS: When my sister gave me back the cube and I got in my first turns... oh my. The puzzle was what I wanted in every single puzzle from that point out. The puzzle had excellent corner cutting, turned at a decent speed, and didn't pop easily. On sunday I wiped the cube to see what it would feel like without any lubricant, then apply an Angstrom set-up that I liked.
PROS: The puzzle is fast, corner cuts decently well for the regular and reverse, and doesn't pop easily. It is stable and fast. Also, the ridges
If you want, you can pick up one here: https://www.thecubicle.com/collections/premium-cubes/products/tommy-cherrys-weilong-gts3-m
Picture:

I have personally never experienced problems with the cube corner twisting, but I also have the elasticity pretty high. I think Moyu should have made it slightly smaller to offset the ridges because at times they can feel a bit weird like they're getting in the way (it is very cool though)

On sunday I wiped the cube to see what it would feel like without any lubricant, then apply an Angstrom set-up that I liked.
Bu-b-but...why? The whole point of a professional setup is that it's already set up for you. Why not just get the Angstrom edition?

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have personally never experienced problems with the cube corner twisting, but I also have the elasticity pretty high. I think Moyu should have made it slightly smaller to offset the ridges because at times they can feel a bit weird like they're getting in the way (it is very cool though)

Bu-b-but...why? The whole point of a professional setup is that it's already set up for you. Why not just get the Angstrom edition?
I know. The cube just felt a little too slow, and the DNM that I added didn't help with matters. So that's the real reason why I wiped it: so that I could get the speed that I wanted, not experiment with the speed given to me already.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Picture:View attachment 18857
One thing I can say for sure is that Tommy turns this cube real fast.

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Man I miss this cube. I lost it at a track meet somehow. I think Java Cuber stole it lol. (He mentioned in his collection vid that he had two GTS3Ms, one that he got and one that he didn't know where it came from).
Imagine someone just sends me a GTS3M lol.