• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Unofficial] Tips on me getting faster?

Sherwood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZjmjU-jJ3o

Still processing so idk

I didn't feel like turning the camera to get the times. The first one was: 35.21 :(. Second one was: 22.70. (Which is good for me)

I average at 29 seconds. I use f2l and 2 look OLL and am learning full PLL 6 algorithms left.

So what tips can anyone give me on getting faster? Sorry for the crap quality

Last edited:

aronpm

You could stop wasting time of the forums making threads and spend your time practising.

I am not kidding. Go practise. Turn slower. Look ahead.

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Do you ever record yourself and learn from it without posting it up here? It still helps a lot. Even with a camera phone, I could see how many pauses I still had when it felt like most of them went away. Most of my 30+ times I have, it's all due to my F2L just outright failing (I'm talking 22-26 second F2L, I'm right now happy with 15-20). My LL time (2LOLL, full PLL) still takes me 6-9 seconds on average (My G perms are horrible, probably take at least 4sec).

Hiero

WCA
2010MAND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow, some of you guys are really helpful. You guys knew the topic of the thread, so if you feel like it was a waste of time, then let me give you a little advice. Don't click on it. There are lots of threads that are not interesting to me at all. Guess what I do, I don't click on them. What's the point of the forum if not to help each other?

Anyway, I thought the lookahead was actually quite good. I am slower than you so I don't know if I should be giving you advice, but I have alot more pauses for longer times that you do. But, once I see my f2l pair it seems like I get it in there faster than you do. Once you recognize a case that you've done 100 times before then you should be blazin' it out. I couldn't tell at first if you were solving it or scrambling it. I know that it might hurt your lookahead, but what is the point of finger tricks if you don't use them. If you don't want to speed up your f2l, then definitely work on speeding up your last layer. There is no lookahead so it can't hurt you to go faster.

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Anyway, I thought the lookahead was actually quite good. I am slower than you so I don't know if I should be giving you advice, but I have alot more pauses for longer times that you do. But, once I see my f2l pair it seems like I get it in there faster than you do. Once you recognize a case that you've done 100 times before then you should be blazin' it out. I couldn't tell at first if you were solving it or scrambling it. I know that it might hurt your lookahead, but what is the point of finger tricks if you don't use them. If you don't want to speed up your f2l, then definitely work on speeding up your last layer. There is no lookahead so it can't hurt you to go faster.

Turning faster doesnt really have much to do with anything, i turn ridiculously slow on everything but my LSE, and my times are still around 21-26s, (high SD...) If your having problems with look ahead then slow down even more.

When i find myself stuck, i do a breakdown average and see where the most work is needed.

one thing you can do is try and do more efficient solves. Take a crack at block building methods to learn how you can put blocks together.

just some tips I thought might helpful.

csharsha

WCA
2009HARS02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know this will sound obvious but it is the best advice - practice. Look ahead and other stuff do not come naturally or by trying to look ahead. All you could do is practice by turning slower than normal trying to anticipate and just practise. I have personally tried to get into x-cross, ZBF2L, and other various techniques to get faster, but none of them have worked.
So best advice, get a cube which feels good in your hands, and then practise, that's the best deal.

Sherwood

Thanks everyone, I need to practice lookhead and fingertricks I think :). My average is now at about 26 seconds

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Your average is lower than mine. Well that's probably untrue. When I do AO12 I'll usually go around 28-29, but plenty of times I have ao5'd a 25. I don't think I've yet to ao12 lower than 27 though, but I might be wrong (wouldn't complain if so :p).

I personally know my problem is my anywhere from 13-23 second F2L. I really need to get more consistent. I do a lot of slow solves while on break at work and focus only on looking for a second pair once my first is paired (so during the insertion), and so on.

CuBeOrDiE

YouTube
Visit Channel
hmm....i'm not the best at last layer, but im about 14 second f2l so i think i can give a few tips there

1- plan 100% of the cross. you may be doing that; it was hard to tell. but simply do the cross over and over, starting to mem how to solve maybe 2 edges than 3 than 4. also, solve it on the bottom.

2- be either completely color neutral or not at all. half way won't do. pick a color and its opposite and stick to it OR simply learn to solve on all sides (which is what i do)

3-turn SLOW SLOW SLOW. many people get so caught up in speed they fail. slow and steady wins the race. focus on slow, and without knowing it you WILL pick up the tempo one day

4-learn all angle solves. this is vital. also, don't play an ace when a two will do. sometimes, it is better to take more moves/ use a cube rotation than to be fancy. it will help you because it will flow with the rest of you solve better.

5- look at a pair, close your eyes, and solve it without looking. then once you're there, do the same thing with eyes open but look ahead. force yourself to not look at the pair that you are solving. trues me, this helps.

6- transition from cross to f2l

7- PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

I'm sorry this turned out insanely long. I'm not particularly eloquent :)

Last edited: