• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cubing Identity Crisis

Mr. McCubing

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks to @Zain_A24 for sparking the inspiration a while back. (I got his permission)
This was a very fun video to make!
It is apparent that people don't enjoy my videos because,
1. I have gained 0 subscribers in the last 28 days
2. my views are plummeting.
So I would like to ask, what videos do you want to see?

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks to @Zain_A24 for sparking the inspiration a while back. (I got his permission)

tbh these skits make no sense to me

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
From what I can tell from you channel, there are a few problems holding you back.

1. Lack of focus: Your content seems to be all over the place in terms of types of videos. Focus on a specific type of cubing video or style, and it will help you grow. It's ok to divert from that type of video occasionally, but right now the videos you make just seem random.

2. Confusing/Random/Hard to Follow/Disorganized/Unscripted videos: It's painfully obvious that you don't script your videos or do much planning. Not scripting or organizing your videos is fine for some types of content, but not the stuff that you are currently making. This lack of organization leads to a confusing, messy, and hard to follow video. I honestly agree with @qwr that a lot of your skits and other video don't make a lot of sense.

3. Not being professional: In my opinion, your videos are not very professional. I'm not expecting you to have an amazingly high quality setup or anything, but there are some things that you can do to GREATLY improve the video. First, stop filming in random places. Even if it isn't super fancy, at least create some kind of consistent setup. It will literally be 10x better than filming in random places including a car. Second, improve the audio quality. Consider either getting a mic or literally just talking louder. Right now it seems like you are whispering some kind of secret to us.

I hope this doesn't sound too rude.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree with everything @Nmile7300 says. Another easy to fix point: putting the camera directly on the table is not a very good angle for cubing. Even ten years ago cubers on youtube realized it. You can use a tissue box or use a jank setup like mine with a selfie stick wedged in place with a drawer.

In what way?

Other than the alliteration, the concept of Fix It Feliks doesn't make sense to me. What does a hammer have to do with him? Why does he show up?
In general, the storyline of the skit is not interesting, because it is essentially you have a problem and then it is magically and immediately fixed, meaning it's over in under a minute. A good storyline has some kind of conflict or challenge that the protagonist must overcome.

Example storyline: @Faz will only fix your cube if you can get a sub 10 single. You try really hard doing many solves but you can't get it. Then Jayden Mcneill appears to give you his wise advice and you go on a training montage. But youre really close but still can't do it, so you decide to fake a solve. But Feliks tells you the solve wasn't legit and then finally reveals the secret of zeroing, letting you get a legit solve.

In that ridiculous story, there was some challenge and some kind of goal the characters were working towards, and there were also references to popular cubing ideas as nods to the audience.

The dry cube doctor parody has more going for it, because the parody of medication commercials applied to cubing hardware makes more sense and the audience can relate to it more.

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree with everything @Nmile7300 says. Another easy to fix point: putting the camera directly on the table is not a very good angle for cubing. Even ten years ago cubers on youtube realized it. You can use a tissue box or use a jank setup like mine with a selfie stick wedged in place with a drawer.

Other than the alliteration, the concept of Fix It Feliks doesn't make sense to me. What does a hammer have to do with him? Why does he show up?
In general, the storyline of the skit is not interesting, because it is essentially you have a problem and then it is magically and immediately fixed, meaning it's over in under a minute. A good storyline has some kind of conflict or challenge that the protagonist must overcome.

Example storyline: @Faz will only fix your cube if you can get a sub 10 single. You try really hard doing many solves but you can't get it. Then Jayden Mcneill appears to give you his wise advice and you go on a training montage. But youre really close but still can't do it, so you decide to fake a solve. But Feliks tells you the solve wasn't legit and then finally reveals the secret of zeroing, letting you get a legit solve.

In that ridiculous story, there was some challenge and some kind of goal the characters were working towards, and there were also references to popular cubing ideas as nods to the audience.

The dry cube doctor parody has more going for it, because the parody of medication commercials applied to cubing hardware makes more sense and the audience can relate to it more.
I think Fix it Feliks is supposed to be a play on words on Fix it Felix from Wreck it Ralph. But yeah it still doesn't make much sense.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I feel obligated to add that usually I'm not a stickler for video quality as in sound and visual clarity, as even the Cubing Historian has a quaint 2010 youtube channel look, but the video quality in these is a little too poor to be comfortable to watch.

Mr. McCubing

YouTube
Visit Channel
From what I can tell from you channel, there are a few problems holding you back.

1. Lack of focus: Your content seems to be all over the place in terms of types of videos. Focus on a specific type of cubing video or style, and it will help you grow. It's ok to divert from that type of video occasionally, but right now the videos you make just seem random.

2. Confusing/Random/Hard to Follow/Disorganized/Unscripted videos: It's painfully obvious that you don't script your videos or do much planning. Not scripting or organizing your videos is fine for some types of content, but not the stuff that you are currently making. This lack of organization leads to a confusing, messy, and hard to follow video. I honestly agree with @qwr that a lot of your skits and other video don't make a lot of sense.

3. Not being professional: In my opinion, your videos are not very professional. I'm not expecting you to have an amazingly high quality setup or anything, but there are some things that you can do to GREATLY improve the video. First, stop filming in random places. Even if it isn't super fancy, at least create some kind of consistent setup. It will literally be 10x better than filming in random places including a car. Second, improve the audio quality. Consider either getting a mic or literally just talking louder. Right now it seems like you are whispering some kind of secret to us.

I hope this doesn't sound too rude.

Thanks.
1. I will work on trying to find my niche. Something I probably should have done even before I posted my first video.
2. I know you told me this before, and then I started doing it but then kind of stopped, and I'll admit that was out of pure laziness. I will try to get on a more fixed schedule such as, Monday choose video and brainstorm, Tuesday write script, Wednesday write more script, Thursday record/edit, Friday finish the editing if need be and post.
In fact, I think that is what I will try to do.
3. I have been in the same place almost since you told me this last time and also haven't been in the car since you mentioned it was a bad spot.
No, it didn't sound rude, I appreciate all the feedback.

Ok. Thanks for the feedback.
I usually have an over head angle but I didn't use it this time. (Maybe I should of)
That story was kinda funny but how is he gonna solve his cube if it's popped? Does he put it back together?
Maybe I should try making more relatable skits or maybe skits just aren't my thing.

I think Fix it Feliks is supposed to be a play on words on Fix it Felix from Wreck it Ralph. But yeah it still doesn't make much sense.

It was. It didn't play out as well as I wanted it to.

I feel obligated to add that usually I'm not a stickler for video quality as in sound and visual clarity, as even the Cubing Historian has a quaint 2010 youtube channel look, but the video quality in these is a little too poor to be comfortable to watch.

The audio and video? Or the production quality?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I enjoyed the video! Thanks for being a maker. My advice is to take what you like from the constructive criticisms you’re given, but don’t let them get in the way of enjoying what you do.

I’ve been fortunate enough to know a lot of artists, and they have stressed to me that the best artists are the ones who make a LOT of art, and not necessarily the ones that try to make a few pieces that are close to perfect.

I enjoyed the video and had fun watching it. Thanks for posting!

Reactions: qwr

Mr. McCubing

YouTube
Visit Channel
I enjoyed the video! Thanks for being a maker. My advice is to take what you like from the constructive criticisms you’re given, but don’t let them get in the way of enjoying what you do.

I’ve been fortunate enough to know a lot of artists, and they have stressed to me that the best artists are the ones who make a LOT of art, and not necessarily the ones that try to make a few pieces that are close to perfect.

I enjoyed the video and had fun watching it. Thanks for posting!
Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed the video! And thanks for the advice!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: qwr

Mr. McCubing

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you for the incredible support on my most recent video (Which is above ^) This was a massive video upgrade! I spent a while researching and writing a script, found a good way to read the script while still looking at the camera, spent a very long time editing both the video and perfecting the thumbnail. I am very proud of this video and I hope you enjoyed it!

Mr. McCubing

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yay 100th post on this thread!!

Nice vid. I can't stand looking at that monster go skewb though. So squary.
Thanks. Yeah both were weird to hold because I'm used to the concave sides of the wingy. But I think the gan is a new main.
I also think that. I don't like stickered skewbs because they look pretty bad in my opinion. NIce comparison tho!
Thanks. Yeah I would agree I don't like stickers on skewbs cuz they aren't as grippy.

S