• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

DuckubingCuber347's POGression thread. | Progression threads should be banned || It is finished

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
As of creating this I average mid-high 18. Here I'll post goals, quests, algs learned, and other things that go on with me and cubing.

If you want to see my sub-17 Ao5 day 1 check my profile.

Day#2

1628630826790.png
1628630843424.png

Got an amazing 11.91 single PB#2 and best Full-step single and best scramble generated solve.

R2 F' B2 R2 B2 D' F' U2 R F2 L2 B L2 F' U2 R2 F' D2 F D2 L2
Red cross

Could have been a PB but I locked up on an E perm which had incredibly fast recognition.

Edit: I forgot to mention, it only took 10 solves to get the 16.87

Edit: I now average low 18's

8/16/21: I now average high 17.

8/26/21: I've been averaging mid-low 17 for about a week.

9/16/21: Low-17

11/7/21: Low-16

11/20/21: Sub-16

4/14/22: Sub-13.5

7/7/22: Sub-12

9/17/22 Sub-11

Last edited:
WCA
2022MCCO11
Day 3:
1628714369278.png

Only took 12 solves. It looked good and I figured I had nothing to lose so I went on.

1628714480139.png

and got a sub-16 Ao5. (yay)

1628714546842.png

I also got a 13.69 on the first solve. Pretty good. Maybe I'll blast my way through averaging 18 to 17.

I also casually broke my 6x6 PB yesterday from 5:37.39 to 5:10.90. Just goes to show I don't do 6x6 enough.

LBr

WCA
2022FOGG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I get the MGC is cheaper, that's why I said I wasn't looking at the price.
Isn't price one of the biggest factor in cubes? Besides the price, the MGC is one of the best cubes on the market, and comparable to the valk.
But I've tried a Valk 5m and it was amazing so I'm wondering what sets the MGC apart other than price. In my opinion it's hard to beat the Valk feeling.
That's what people thought before the MGC came out. There was a time where people believed that the Wushuang was the perfect 5x5, but when a better one came out people started to notice problems with it. I only have the MGC, and have never touched a Valk 5 M. But even it is slightly better for me, it doesn't justify being twice the price.

So I recommend the MGC way over the Valk.

Last edited:

cuberswoop

WCA
2022FROU01
I am only like 2 seconds slower than you.

Here it is.

1629068303023.png
Nice 13 btw.

WCA
2022MCCO11
Isn't price one of the biggest factor in cubes? Besides the price, the MGC is one of the best cubes on the market, and comparable to the valk.

That's what people thought before the MGC came out. There was a time where people believed that the Wushuang was the perfect 5x5, but when a better one came out people started to notice problems with it. I only have the MGC, and have never touched a Valk 5 M. But even it is slightly better for me, it doesn't justify being twice the price.

So I recommend the MGC way ovee the Valk.
Again, I specifically stated that price is not playing a factor in my decision. I adore the Valk feel and I am wondering what the YJ MGC offers, beside being more affordable, that the Valk does not. I want to get a cube that I am 100% satisfied with, if I get the MGC and am not the biggest fan I'll buy the Valk so it's not really cheaper if I don't enjoy it. I know that I enjoy the Valk and will be satisfied with my purchase. Meanwhile I no nothing about the MGC other than that it's extremely popular and I've grown to be careful about buying puzzles that people seem to enjoy a lot. I got the YJMoyuMFJSRS3M2020 and was extremely disappointed, I tried the Gan 11 m Pro and was severely disappointed I was also a little disappointed with the X-man Wingy skewb, meanwhile cubes that weren't as hyped or lost their popularity I really enjoy. Like the Qiyi MS 3*3 and the Valk 5 M (It's still well known but has since faded more and more into the background as the MGC asserted it's base.)

YouTube
Visit Channel
Again, I specifically stated that price is not playing a factor in my decision. I adore the Valk feel and I am wondering what the YJ MGC offers, beside being more affordable, that the Valk does not. I want to get a cube that I am 100% satisfied with, if I get the MGC and am not the biggest fan I'll buy the Valk so it's not really cheaper if I don't enjoy it. I know that I enjoy the Valk and will be satisfied with my purchase. Meanwhile I no nothing about the MGC other than that it's extremely popular and I've grown to be careful about buying puzzles that people seem to enjoy a lot. I got the YJMoyuMFJSRS3M2020 and was extremely disappointed, I tried the Gan 11 m Pro and was severely disappointed I was also a little disappointed with the X-man Wingy skewb, meanwhile cubes that weren't as hyped or lost their popularity I really enjoy. Like the Qiyi MS 3*3 and the Valk 5 M (It's still well known but has since faded more and more into the background as the MGC asserted it's base.)
If price isn't a factor and you tried and loved the Valk, then definitely get it. The MGC, besides being cheaper is pretty much on par with the Valk in terms of performance. I've heard that the MGC is faster than the Valk while being less stable, but that's pretty much it, since I don't have the Valk so I can't compare them directly myself.

WCA
2022MCCO11
I think this deserves an update. I ended the challenge as the Ao5 became almost trivial. I actually got a couple sub-17 Ao100s.

Here's some current screenshots.

1630002093760.png

1630002151094.png
1630002196006.png

I've been focusing on 2x2 a lot lately and have lowered my times from 4.7-8 to 4.4 on average. My 5x5 times (which I don't practice as much as I thought I would) have lowered from struggling to get sub-2:50 to Sub-2:35 and I can definitely keep going. 4x4 I average 1:20 and am really close to being sub-1:20. My OH time are all over the place as I don't practice it much and my Master Pyra time plummeted from 1:30 to 1:00-1:05 but the last time I did an Ao5 I hurt my wrist and am currently on a short break from cubing.

WCA
2022MCCO11
Currently learning NCLL. I learned L and U and am currently working on T. I'll save A and AS for last. r2 D r' U r D' r2 B r U' r' B' is a really neat alg for "Solved" (diag swap) but I'm having trouble getting the time down to what I average on Y-perm.

Finally got a hold of my Megaminx and had to relearn all the 4LLL cases that I know. After NCLL I'll try to learn full 4LL and then I will move on to L5EP for Nautilus. After that I will look at about 1-2 hundred example solve for FB to get an idea of what to look for and then I'm hoping to start transitioning to Nautilus.

I've been using the Valk Elite after I set it up and will be doing most solves on it until I feel like setting up my MS. I set it to strong magnets and strong elasticity and it's really nice. So controllable.

Eli Apperson

WCA
2022APPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Tip #1: Get the valk 5 and some DNM37. Re-lube it every 10-15 solves with a drop or two. This will keep it incredibly fast, and you can do longer sessions
Tip #2: Switch to Hoya for 4x4 and 5x5. Besides being better than redux and Yau, it is also a lot more fun, and will help keep you interested in the event.
Tip #4: Don't use nautilus as your main method unless you are ok with being slow for a long time. Use it as a secondary method, that you can use when you get a good scramble.

• Meh
Reactions: LBr
WCA
2022MCCO11
Tip #1: Get the Valk 5 and some DNM37. Re-lube it every 10-15 solves with a drop or two. This will keep it incredibly fast, and you can do longer sessions
10-15 solves bit a bit much, maybe every 25. I prioritize controllability over speed so it's not like I want it insanely fast all the and there wouldn't be a ton I could take advantage of with the speed of DNM on 5x5 given my times. I find my current set-up on 5x5 great. I did previously have DNM so I know when the right time for me to use it is.
Tip #2: Switch to Hoya for 4x4 and 5x5. Besides being better than redux and Yau, it is also a lot more fun, and will help keep you interested in the event.
I honestly haven't been really interested enough to get good at Yau and I have never tried Hoya. If I decide to step up my medium cube game then I'd definitely do it, maybe Yau for 4x4 and Hoya on 5x5.
Tip #4: Don't use Nautilus as your main method unless you are ok with being slow for a long time. Use it as a secondary method, that you can use when you get a good scramble.
So I'm just supposed to use boring vanilla CFOP until after about 500 solve spaced out over many months? If I mainly use CFOP I'll never catch up with to it with Nautilus since all my practice is going towards CFOP. If I only use it with good scrambles the techniques won't drill into my mind as fast if at all. Of course I'm going to be slow with Nautilus at first. You always are if using a new method. I'm cubing for fun, not to be world-class. I think Nautilus is a fun and interesting method and I genuinely want to switch to it. If I'm really slow for a few months that's fine because I'll be enjoying myself more. No I probably won't learn a Nautilus big cube method but for 3x3 I don't think I need to be advised to "not use it". Maybe it's not for everyone but I stated how I wanted to transition and I am aware of all the downsides.

Edit: You also said that Hoya, a less popular and proven method with fewer resources is better than Yau, a more popular, proven, more resourced method but then say that I should be wary of Nautilus, a method with very few resources and users, and that I probably shouldn't main it over CFOP, the most popular, resourced, proven method.

Eli Apperson

WCA
2022APPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Edit: You also said that Hoya, a less popular and proven method with fewer resources is better than Yau, a more popular, proven, more resourced method but then say that I should be wary of Nautilus, a method with very few resources and users, and that I probably shouldn't main it over CFOP, the most popular, resourced, proven method.
As long as you are not trying to be very fast that is fine, but with a lesser known method, limits have not been set in place. Only now, after years of CFOP being the main method for thousands, are we starting to see where the limits are. The problem with a method like that is there could be a 7-8 second limit(which is fast, but not in comparison to the big 3), and you will have spent hours and hours of your life trying to get there.
If you are having fun, I'm not gonna try to discourage you, but if you ever want to get world class, I would let the method get more developed.