• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Will I get to Sub 8 with Petrus?

• Yes

Votes: 149 80.1%
  • No

Votes: 37 19.9%

• Total voters
So, I’ve been getting a lot of PBs, 3x3 average
is now 17.668, and 3x3 OH average is now 31.017, along with single, now 25.997. Do you think ChaoTimer’s scrambles are legit? Or do you think I’ve just been pushing myself a lot with hard handscrambles, without knowing it?
Take this:
View attachment 11283
Honestly, I've always done better on generated scrambles.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
So, I’ve been getting a lot of PBs, 3x3 average
is now 17.668, and 3x3 OH average is now 31.017, along with single, now 25.997. Do you think ChaoTimer’s scrambles are legit? Or do you think I’ve just been pushing myself a lot with hard handscrambles, without knowing it?
Take this:
View attachment 11283

ChaoTimer creates legit scrambles. Are you using them now?

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
So, Week 19, basically looking into want @ottozing has suggested, practise fingertricks, drill algorithms, get comfortable with triggers. :)
Haven't read the whole thread yet, but I wanna throw a few tips here that I think will help for OP, or anyone else who genuinely wants to put Petrus back on the map ;)

First, you should do your best to avoid focusing *too* much on the method Petrus itself, and instead just focus on getting better period (using Petrus obviously). This could include things like looking into your fingertricks and how you're performing certain triggers and sequences. Regardless of what method you use, improving your fingertricks will always be fundamental and paramount to getting faster

For example, if you know how to do all of the steps of Petrus efficiently (or ANY method for that matter) but your fingertricks are lacking, then your speed and ability to solve quickly will be lacking period

Secondly, one of the unfortunate truths is that essentially all of the useful info content that exists for getting better at cubing is very much CFOP focused. There's some good Roux stuff out there too, and maybe a handful of nice ZZ focused videos. Still, for the most part, you're going to learn the most from content that isn't really intended for the method you're using

One quick idea that comes to mind is Cross + first pair in inspection for CFOP being a big deal, and something of a sticking point for cubers who haven't taken the time to practice *pushing* their inspection abilities by taking away the 15 seconds of inspection element when practicing at home. There's no reason why you can't apply the general logic of this to Petrus

Let's say currently you can only plan the 2x2x2 block half the time. Working towards being able to see it every time as a mini goal would be very helpful! From there, you could even take it up a notch by working on also seeing a corner edge pair that goes with the block on top of that. Making sure that the blocks aren't in the U layer when you solve them might be another thing you could work on (this would be relating the concept of "cross on bottom" to Petrus, since you'll want the first two layers to stay on bottom since LL is on U)

Again, there's a chance that I might be repeating advice already given ITT (cbf reading all of it lol), but hopefully this steers you in the right direction :)

Here's a suggestion I have for you :
Depending on whether you count LEOR as petrus, you could try using that. You could be method neutral-ish choosing a FB or a 2x2 every solve. Just a suggestion.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Here's a suggestion I have for you :
Depending on whether you count LEOR as petrus, you could try using that. You could be method neutral-ish choosing a FB or a 2x2 every solve. Just a suggestion.
I’ve been thinking about that. The whole point of Petrus is to have flexible blockbuilding, no limits, don’t do cross, pairs every time. So why do 2x2x2 then 2x2x3? Be flexible! Do Roux block then line, maybe EOLine! I propose a Petrus variant: Free Petrus

C

Cubinwitdapizza

I’ve been thinking about that. The whole point of Petrus is to have flexible blockbuilding, no limits, don’t do cross, pairs every time. So why do 2x2x2 then 2x2x3? Be flexible! Do Roux block then line, maybe EOLine! I propose a Petrus variant: Free Petrus
That’s pretty much already petrus lol

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
z’ y’//inspection 0,0
U R D L2 F’ L’ F L2//2x2x2 8,8
U R L U L’//2x2x3 5,13
z x’ L F’ L‘ R U R’//EO 6,19
y’ U’ R U’ R2 U’ R U R2 U2 R’ U’ R U’ R2//F2L 14,33
U2 r U2 R2 F R F’ R U2 r’//COLL 10,43
U R U’ R U R U R U’ R’ U’ R2//EPLL 12,55

Please feel free to critique! 2x2x2 was meh, I didn’t foresee that I would make an expansion pair during first step, but hey, I’ll take it. 4 bad edges, normal. CFOP like F2L. Standard COLL and EPLL.
Just did an example solve, pretty decent.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
So, this week, I’m going back to the blockbuilding base, I can do 8 moves or under for 2x2x2, and I can generally one look it, but I really need that Petrus efficiency in the long run, so I’m going to do tons of slow 2x2x2 blockbuilding, and also work on finding the best corner to expand on in inspection as fast as I can, while still being able to 1L.

Oh yeah, and I’m learning a further set of 12 algorithms, for ZBLL.

Last edited:

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
what are you averaging now?
I think im going to switch to petrus
from roux.
is it simular to cfop?

Please just edit your post.

As for your questions, he posted his average in the last post(19), and it's kind of similar to CFOP. You make a 2x2x2, which is like 2 cross pieces and a pair. Then make it into a 2x2x3, which is like half of F2L. Then you do EO, which makes it so you will have a yellow cross on top if you finish with R and U moves. Then finish the last of F2L while only using R and U moves. Then do the last layer however you like, except the yellow cross will already be made.

There aren't many tutorials, but Lars Petrus' text one(the inventor) is your best bet: https://lar5.com/cube/

Edit(see what I did?): Ignore Lars' last layer technique, start with OCLL/PLL. Also, if you have trouble learning Petrus then just ask anyone who knows it(PapaSmurf, Metallic Silver, PetrusQueber, Tao Yu, me, etc.)