• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Will I get to Sub 8 with Petrus?

• Yes

Votes: 149 80.1%
  • No

Votes: 37 19.9%

• Total voters

Zain_A24

YouTube
Visit Channel
Also, h has bad recognition because it’s the only case that have double symmetry. So, recog can be really bad sometimes.
I see you are learning from different sets at once. Is it working for you or would you recommend learning a whole set first before moving on to the next.

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
This doc has better algs. Anthony's are a bit outdated and these ones are definitely better on average.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
This doc has better algs. Anthony's are a bit outdated and these ones are definitely better on average.
How much will it affect me having slightly outdated algorithms, because I’ve already put them up on my wall, and I have a screen time thing. If there’s a really bad algorithm, I can refer to that.

Also, bad news. Heading to period 5 after lunch in school, I attempted to open a door, and somebody from the other side slammed the door open, catching my pinkie against the wall. So now it’s bruised, and bleeding slightly. And it has to be my left one, the finger I use the most for OH :(. Hopefully it can heal before the competition...

Etotheipi

Also, bad news. Heading to period 5 after lunch in school, I attempted to open a door, and somebody from the other side slammed the door open, catching my pinkie against the wall. So now it’s bruised, and bleeding slightly. And it has to be my left one, the finger I use the most for OH :(. Hopefully it can heal before the competition...
Ow. I hope it heals quickly. Did you mean slam the door closed though?

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Last edited:

Hazel

Premium Member

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That PDF has the algs that I use. Are they actually outdated?? I reaaallly don't want to have to re-learn all these algs...

They are definitely outdated because all sources are outdated :(. They are not the worst though, I doubt you'll need to relearn every alg, and many of them are still fast, if not the best known alg.

ZBLL resources are really scattered right now. If someone discovers a new alg there's no good way to ensure that it reaches any of these spreadsheets or PDFs that have been linked. Unfortunately, the state of affairs right now is that there are probably some objectively optimal ZBLL algs that have been posted only in some random Facebook comments in private groups and never shared any further.

I think the solution to this is probably some sort of improved version of algdb, but until that happens, you will have to check many sources or generate the algs yourself if you absolutely want the fastest algs.

Since this is a ton of work, I think you'll probably need to decide for yourself how you quantify the cost of learning slightly worse algs. I don't think it's all bad. Given the current state of ZBLL algs, I would say that there are still hundreds of new algs to be found, so if you learn the best alg today, you might still need to relearn it in the future anyway. I think this is something you sign up for when learning any undeveloped set. For example, I learned PLL before 2011, and since then have probably learned PLL 5-6 times over (I even learned a new PLL alg today). The fact is, in learning ZBLL you'll most likely have to learn a ton of stuff you won't end up using.

I don't think this is wasted effort - I find that relearning an alg is much easier once you've learned the recognition for it already, and really, if you strive too hard for perfection you'll never get anything done. I think your biggest goal when learning ZBLL for the first time should be to be able to learn algs effortlessly by the end.

Hazel

Premium Member
They are definitely outdated because all sources are outdated :(. They are not the worst though, I doubt you'll need to relearn every alg, and many of them are still fast, if not the best known alg.

ZBLL resources are really scattered right now. If someone discovers a new alg there's no good way to ensure that it reaches any of these spreadsheets or PDFs that have been linked. Unfortunately, the state of affairs right now is that there are probably some objectively optimal ZBLL algs that have been posted only in some random Facebook comments in private groups and never shared any further.

I think the solution to this is probably some sort of improved version of algdb, but until that happens, you will have to check many sources or generate the algs yourself if you absolutely want the fastest algs.

Since this is a ton of work, I think you'll probably need to decide for yourself how you quantify the cost of learning slightly worse algs. I don't think it's all bad. Given the current state of ZBLL algs, I would say that there are still hundreds of new algs to be found, so if you learn the best alg today, you might still need to relearn it in the future anyway. I think this is something you sign up for when learning any undeveloped set. For example, I learned PLL before 2011, and since then have probably learned PLL 5-6 times over (I even learned a new PLL alg today). The fact is, in learning ZBLL you'll most likely have to learn a ton of stuff you won't end up using.

I don't think this is wasted effort - I find that relearning an alg is much easier once you've learned the recognition for it already, and really, if you strive too hard for perfection you'll never get anything done. I think your biggest goal when learning ZBLL for the first time should be to be able to learn algs effortlessly by the end.
Thanks for this. I think I'll keep learning from this same source, and down the road I'll start looking for better algs, because if I'm being honest. I kind of don't care much anymore about being fast. In the past few months, learning new algs has just become much more fun than striving to get faster, and I have too many hobbies/passions at the moment to put in the time and effort required to get faster than I currently am. So, learning more and more algs is more important to me than making sure that each alg I learn is the best one I can find.

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not sure the case of PLL is better.
Please, share this new PLL alg you've learned today.

R D' R2 U' R2 U R' U R U2 R' U R' U R2 D R'

I haven't timed it myself but Jay has recommended it on Facebook. There's some discussion of it on my discord server as well, teri says it's as fast as R2 F2 but with no regrip. This is probably not the most clear cut example, but I think there have definitely been improvements made to CFOP algs in the past year, which is the point I wanted to make.

Hazel

Premium Member
R D' R2 U' R2 U R' U R U2 R' U R' U R2 D R'

I haven't timed it myself but Jay has recommended it on Facebook. There's some discussion of it on my discord server as well, teri says it's as fast as R2 F2 but with no regrip. This is probably not the most clear cut example, but I think there have definitely been improvements made to CFOP algs in the past year, which is the point I wanted to make.
I really hate the R2 F2 alg, I'll try this out :)

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for this. I think I'll keep learning from this same source, and down the road I'll start looking for better algs, because if I'm being honest. I kind of don't care much anymore about being fast. In the past few months, learning new algs has just become much more fun than striving to get faster, and I have too many hobbies/passions at the moment to put in the time and effort required to get faster than I currently am. So, learning more and more algs is more important to me than making sure that each alg I learn is the best one I can find.

I very much relate to this. I've come to realize I often prefer to use algs that are fun or cool over algs that are strictly faster. If I get serious about becoming fast again I'll change my approach.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for all the replies... For the moment I will use the linked PDF I gave, maybe update it with better algs if obviously needed.
View attachment 11251
This my cstimer im racing you to sub 15.. im using roux
Cool! I’m around 20-21 currently.

Tbh I need to update my diag swap PLLs, because the RUL N Perms just don’t work for me, and the RUL V Perm is meh.

Last edited: