• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] The "Square-1 Help / Alg Sharing" thread

Jokerman5656

Catch Me If You Can
WCA
2009BRAI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread is here to help all of you fella's that are looking to get some tips for the Square-1, also it is here for people to ask and share algs and methods they use. If you post in this thread and aren't getting a reply within a few days then feel free to message me and I'll do my best to get you some assisstance.

I will also try to keep up to date with all the links posted in this thread and compile them in this first post for you guys. Play nice.

*Links*

Sq1 Tutorial
Sq1 Cubeshape
Sq1 Lookahead
Forcing good U's
PBL via 2 CP algs
Square- 1 Shape
EP
"PLL"
Simon Crawfords EP thread
Andrew Nelson's CP thread
Cubezone by Lars Vandenbergh
Sq1 algs needed for CP parity
Square-1 "PLL" Recognition
A Comprehensive website on Square-1
Square-1 back to a cube
Sarah Strong's Sq1 algs
Sq1 AO
Sq1 Cubeshape

Last edited:

sa11297

WCA
2011AGAR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well I am pretty bad at sq 1. I do cubeshape by matching all the edges together, and then I do a couple if moves and its in the cubeshape. From there I orient the corners. (should I bother to put the corners such that they are correctly oriented or not?) Then I orient the edges using one of two algorithms multiple times. ( one that swaps one on the bottom layer with one on the top and one that swaps UF with DF and UB with DB) Where can I find the best EO algs? Then I do one of the CP cases I have learned from lars' site. Next I do EP which is usually doing the alg that swaps UR with UB and Dr with DB. Sometimes I will do M2 U2 M2, and of course i finish with parity. So what should I start improving? cubeshape, EO, or EP?
EDIT: I read blade740's tutorial and I plan on learning the 5 algs that he posted for cubeshape. What averages can I expect to obtain with the method blade740 shows?

Last edited:

blade740

Mack Daddy
WCA
2007NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well I am pretty bad at sq 1. I do cubeshape by matching all the edges together, and then I do a couple if moves and its in the cubeshape. From there I orient the corners. (should I bother to put the corners such that they are correctly oriented or not?) Then I orient the edges using one of two algorithms multiple times. ( one that swaps one on the bottom layer with one on the top and one that swaps UF with DF and UB with DB) Where can I find the best EO algs? Then I do one of the CP cases I have learned from lars' site. Next I do EP which is usually doing the alg that swaps UR with UB and Dr with DB. Sometimes I will do M2 U2 M2, and of course i finish with parity. So what should I start improving? cubeshape, EO, or EP?
EDIT: I read blade740's tutorial and I plan on learning the 5 algs that he posted for cubeshape. What averages can I expect to obtain with the method blade740 shows?

It really depends on how much you practice. Using the method posted there, and no more, it's certainly feasible to average sub20 without learning anything else.

As for what to improve: EO is an easy choice, since there are only a few algs to learn in order to do it 1-look. Cubeshape is the sort of thing that you learn gradually with lots of solves, sorta like cross on 3x3, or maybe intuitive F2L. And EP... well, just learn a few EPs at a time until you know them all.

Neo63

WCA
2008WUNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey everyone!

Did anyone use this site to get fast?

Yay Canadian
sorry, back on topic. Yeah I started off with Lars' site, partially because there weren't that many resources when I started in 2008, and partially because I wasn't very good at finding websites (I don't think I found speedsolving then...)
Lars is the one that came up with the square-1 speedsolving method that almost everyone uses nowadays, but just like Jessica Fridrich, his algs are outdated. It's still a good site to get the concept down, but I suggest looking at threads that people posted above, particularly MTGjumper and pkFeng's EP algs which I found to be very useful.

HELP!
How I get sub 20? (consistently)
Urgh.
I like the style of the movie :p
I was going to comment on how you take too long to recognize CP, then I realized you use parity CP (I think...) anyway I still think you can make that step a bit faster. I subconsciously recognize parity when I do CP but I use normal vandenbergh method. A good way I think would be to count how many "blocks" of corner+edge are solved before doing CP, and that way you can easily figure out whether you have parity on each layer or not.

Last edited:

Cheese11

WCA
2011KULC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yay Canadian
sorry, back on topic. Yeah I started off with Lars' site, partially because there weren't that many resources when I started in 2008, and partially because I wasn't very good at finding websites (I don't think I found speedsolving then...)
Lars is the one that came up with the square-1 speedsolving method that almost everyone uses nowadays, but just like Jessica Fridrich, his algs are outdated. It's still a good site to get the concept down, but I suggest looking at threads that people posted above, particularly MTGjumper and pkFeng's EP algs which I found to be very useful.

Heh heh, Canadians are awesome.

I remember back in 2007 the resources I could find on cubing were Dan Browns tut and Rob(lot's-o-numbers) tut. I didn't even know what speedsolving was until a friend introduced me to Roux. Back on topic; I just learnt square-1 and I just learnt the necessary algs off of the site I posted and I'm starting to learn some more of them. Now I'm averaging about 1:30 and it's pretty much all I'm practicing.

Czery

WCA
2010QIUB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I like the style of the movie :p
I was going to comment on how you take too long to recognize CP, then I realized you use parity CP (I think...) anyway I still think you can make that step a bit faster. I subconsciously recognize parity when I do CP but I use normal vandenbergh method. A good way I think would be to count how many "blocks" of corner+edge are solved before doing CP, and that way you can easily figure out whether you have parity on each layer or not.

Hmm... Now that you mentioned it, I actually do pause a lot during CP. I actually have no method of identifying parity on separate layers.
Using blocks seems like a good idea if there are blocks at all. The Q, E, X cases aren't blocked at all and recognition is nasty on those. I think Andrew wrote something about it somewhere...

rubixwiz031

WCA
2011ROTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Heres the parity I use:
/, (-3, -3,) /, (3, 0), /, (-3, -3), /, (2, 0), /, (-4, 2), / (4, 2), /, (1, 0), / (-3, -3), /.
That will do 2 things. It will solve parity on top, but make a H perm on the bottom.
To solve the H perm on the bottom ONLY, here's my alg: /, (-3, 3), /, (-3, 3), / (0, 1,) /, (3, -3), /, (3, -3), / (1, 0)

blade740

Mack Daddy
WCA
2007NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The Q, E, X cases aren't blocked at all and recognition is nasty on those. I think Andrew wrote something about it somewhere...

3-Color rule. Look at one corner (any corner), plus the edges on either side of it. If there are 3 colors total, it's an E, so no parity. If there are 2 colors or 4 colors, it's X or Q, respectively.

sa11297

WCA
2011AGAR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
It really depends on how much you practice. Using the method posted there, and no more, it's certainly feasible to average sub20 without learning anything else.

As for what to improve: EO is an easy choice, since there are only a few algs to learn in order to do it 1-look. Cubeshape is the sort of thing that you learn gradually with lots of solves, sorta like cross on 3x3, or maybe intuitive F2L. And EP... well, just learn a few EPs at a time until you know them all.
how many EP cases do you know?

Neo63

WCA
2008WUNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmm... Now that you mentioned it, I actually do pause a lot during CP. I actually have no method of identifying parity on separate layers.
Using blocks seems like a good idea if there are blocks at all. The Q, E, X cases aren't blocked at all and recognition is nasty on those. I think Andrew wrote something about it somewhere...

I think the block method gets most of the cases down, and after a while of practicing you'll do it subconsciously. The rest Andrew covered pretty well.