• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] The "Square-1 Help / Alg Sharing" thread

C

Cubinwitdapizza

Should I learn CSP first or full EP?

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cubinwitdapizza

CSP first; learn a few EP's that will help you do most cases but CSP eliminates all the parity cases, so it's definitely more useful to learn first.
And with csp, you learn full cs and then csp Right?

C

Cubinwitdapizza

You can honestly learn full CS while you learn CSP, but yeah just learning how to do each case (regardless of parity) helps tremendously in learning CSP later down the road.
Also, for full CS, how should I learn it? Like should I learn from a video or from a piece of paper with all the cases? Sorry if I’m overloading you with questions lol.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
I'm trying to learn sq-1, but it takes forever to get to cube shape; sometimes I'll have to just wait an hour then try again. Any tips on getting that down? Also, how to learn the algs? They seem like just random numbers, which are harder to learn than regular NxN algs

Edit: The part of cube shape I usually get stuck on is where there's one edge disconnected from the rest

C

Cubinwitdapizza

I'm trying to learn sq-1, but it takes forever to get to cube shape; sometimes I'll have to just wait an hour then try again. Any tips on getting that down? Also, how to learn the algs? They seem like just random numbers, which are harder to learn than regular NxN algs
Squan notation is weird, so Here’s an example. (1, 0) / (3, 0) / (3, 0) / (-1, -1) / (-2, 1) / (-3, 0) /
this just means turn the top layer clockwise 1 line/piece. Then slice, then turn the top 3 lines/pieces, slice, turn the top 3 lines/pieces, slice, then turn the top anti clockwise 1 piece/line and the bottom side anti clockwise 1 piece/line then so on. It’s kinda weird but it makes sense once you’ve done it.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Squan notation is weird, so Here’s an example. (1, 0) / (3, 0) / (3, 0) / (-1, -1) / (-2, 1) / (-3, 0) /
this just means turn the top layer clockwise 1 line/piece. Then slice, then turn the top 3 lines/pieces, slice, turn the top 3 lines/pieces, slice, then turn the top anti clockwise 1 piece/line and the bottom side anti clockwise 1 piece/line then so on. It’s kinda weird but it makes sense once you’ve done it.

Yeah, I ended up getting that far in the tutorial lol. I have solved it(with the algs in front of me), but it usually takes forever to get past cube shape. I keep getting stuck with all the edges connected except one, which is in the top layer but disconnected from the rest

C

Cubinwitdapizza

Yeah, I ended up getting that far in the tutorial lol. I have solved it(with the algs in front of me), but it usually takes forever to get past cube shape. I keep getting stuck with all the edges connected except one, which is in the top layer but disconnected from the rest
I kinda reccomend just learning scallop kite cs first cuz it’s a lot faster but still fairly simple.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Ok, learning square-1. I've managed to get down to nothing left but adjacent parity multiple times. But every single time, I mess up the algorithm even though I'm looking right at it and making sure I don't mess it up. The alg I have written down is:

/ (-3, 0) / (0, 3) / (0, -3) / (0, 3) / (2, 0) / (0, 2) / (-2, 0) / (4, 0) / (0, -2) / (0, 2) / (-1, 4) / (0, -3) / (0, 3)

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok, learning square-1. I've managed to get down to nothing left but adjacent parity multiple times. But every single time, I mess up the algorithm even though I'm looking right at it and making sure I don't mess it up. The alg I have written down is:

/ (-3, 0) / (0, 3) / (0, -3) / (0, 3) / (2, 0) / (0, 2) / (-2, 0) / (4, 0) / (0, -2) / (0, 2) / (-1, 4) / (0, -3) / (0, 3)
That's correct - it's the really old parity algorithm most of us from long ago used; I've never progressed past it and it is still the only parity algorithm I know.

Make sure you pay close attention to clockwise vs. counterclockwise, with clockwise looking from the top for the top layer, and clockwise looking from the bottom on the bottom layer. It's really easy to get those mixed up. Also be sure you're really doing the slash at the beginning.

With practice this can be fairly fast, using mostly fingertricks with second and fourth fingers on the left hand.

kadabrium

WCA
2019XIAO15

Learn the scallop cubeshapes first. these can be formed simply by putting 4 edges together.
There are 7 cases in this class. Note that case 5-8 are solved the same way with a 5-edge intermediate, so if you have 5 easily matchable edges you should consider solving into that shape directly.
sqcs.png

after getting these down, learn optimals for cases requiring 2 or more slices to 4-edge. there are about 10 such cases and most of them use shield-square.

from there transition to full optimal should be manageable.

Reactions: Lid
WCA
2019WANG86
So, I got double adjacent parity, I think I saw somewhere that double parity = no parity, but I'm not sure. So what's up with double parity?
parity is when two edges are swapped (adjacent or opposite)
If you have a z perm (two adj swaps on one layer) or adj/adj (two edges swapped on top layer and two edges swapped on bottom layer), you do not have parity.
There is no double parity on sq1 like there can be on 4x4

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
parity is when two edges are swapped (adjacent or opposite)
If you have a z perm (two adj swaps on one layer) or adj/adj (two edges swapped on top layer and two edges swapped on bottom layer), you do not have parity.
There is no double parity on sq1 like there can be on 4x4

So how do I solve it? Currently I use

(/ 0,-3 / 0,3 / 0,-3 / 0,3) *2

for EP, I can solve the edges with one solved side and if none are solved then I have to do it twice

WCA
2019WANG86
So how do I solve it? Currently I use

(/ 0,-3 / 0,3 / 0,-3 / 0,3) *2

for EP, I can solve the edges with one solved side and if none are solved then I have to do it twice

(1,0) / (3,0) / (-1,-1) / (-2,1) / (-1,0)
or
-2,0/3,0/-1,-1/-2,1/
or
1,0/0,3/-1,-1/1,-2/
or
0,-1/-3,0/1,1/2,-1/

work best for adj/adj swap.
Depending on the EP case you can use these to swap adjacent edges on the top and bottom layer.

Jokerman5656

Catch Me If You Can
WCA
2009BRAI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What's the AUF/ADF on those?
It should be a cube when you execute these. Usually this is last step and all of these are the same algorithm just translated for easy use.

UL <-> UB
DR <-> DB
1,0/3,0 /-1,-1/-2,1/-1,0

UR <-> UB
DR <-> DB
-2,0/3,0/-1,-1/-2,1/2,0

UR <-> UF
DL <-> DF
1,0/0,3/-1,-1/1,-2/-1,0

UL <-> UF
DF <-> DL
0,-1/-3,0/1,1/2,-1/0,1