• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] The "Square-1 Help / Alg Sharing" thread

PyraMaster

YouTube
Visit Channel
hello everybody,

I just got a square-1 and I want to learn how to solve it. What is the best method to use? Could you give me a link on a good video on how to do it? What is a reasonable average to get to with out too much practice?

Thanks

-Pyramaster

Last edited:

allanboss131

So I was messing around with sq1 and discovered the screw method accidentaly (bummer realizing it was alreadt a thing), but I was wondering if there is an alg set that inserts FD and solves CP simoultaneosly? Sorry if obvious

Thanks
Its called "Lin" there is a tutorial on youtube. I use it and think it could be quite fast. Im super slow cause idc about squan though

BerserkerSA

Hi, I am recently trying to get good at SQ1 so I tried to remember those algs. I found two kinds of CP algorithms. After doing experiments on them, I still don't know what differences are there. Anyone can help me?

xyzzy

Hi, I am recently trying to get good at SQ1 so I tried to remember those algs. I found two kinds of CP algorithms. After doing experiments on them, I still don't know what differences are there. Anyone can help me?

Some CP algs affect the permutation parity and some don't, if that's what you're asking. If you have something like adj-adj CP and parity, instead of doing the usual alg (/0,-3/3,3/-3,0/), you can do the adj-adj parity alg (/-3/-3/-5/-2/4/-4/-2/5/-3/) to influence parity.

The CP+parity algs are usually somewhat longer than the normal CP algs, but if you don't know many of the parity EP algs, this can end up being faster than doing the normal CP algs, then some EP alg(s), then parity. On the flip side, CPP is not so useful if you do know lots of parity EP cases, and you might have to pause to recognise whether you have parity.

(How to determine whether you have parity: check the top and bottom layers to see if they're like a normal PLL on 3×3. If both are or both aren't, then there's no parity. If only one layer is a normal PLL, then there's parity.)