• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] The "Square-1 Help / Alg Sharing" thread

So I asked this question a week ago but no one responded even though the post had 60+ views (I assume no one could answer the question) but this is the question:
I have done around 1000 solves and I average around 20 seconds on Square-1. My goal is to be Sub-12 and I currently use just the 13-slice parity alg, but I don't know if I should learn CP Parity, all of the Parity EP's, CSP, or not learn anything. I also don't know how many solves to do. How many solves do I have to do to get Sub-12 (An Estimate) and what parity method should I use? Also, I know Scallop-Kite, full CO, EO, CP, and Intuitive EP from Cube Master's Tutorial.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
So I asked this question a week ago but no one responded even though the post had 60+ views (I assume no one could answer the question) but this is the question:
I have done around 1000 solves and I average around 20 seconds on Square-1. My goal is to be Sub-12 and I currently use just the 13-slice parity alg, but I don't know if I should learn CP Parity, all of the Parity EP's, CSP, or not learn anything. I also don't know how many solves to do. How many solves do I have to do to get Sub-12 (An Estimate) and what parity method should I use? Also, I know Scallop-Kite, full CO, EO, CP, and Intuitive EP from Cube Master's Tutorial.
Obv the best thing to do would be learn CSP. That said you don’t need csp to be sub10

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Learn good EP algs for the few cases that aren't good intuitively (although you can probably inituit out even the least intuitive cases). The other thing is to definitely learn full (intuitive) cubeshape before CSP. Use this very helpful tree to learn. I just did solves, and when I didn't know the CS, I would just find it on there, do the solve untimed, then next scramble. I also learnt all the 3 movers (intuitively).

I use CP parity, but learning a few EP parity algs would probably be just as helpful. They're about equivalent in speed, but CSP is obviously better.

Thanks! I have a competition with Square-1 in a few weeks so I don't think I can learn CSP by then but I'll learn CP parity and a few EP algs. Also, Thanks for the tree it looked very organized and it looks way easier than learning a bunch of algs.

Thom S.

The cases where it's Ua Ua on top and bottom are 5 slices vs Ub Ub taking 7 slices, thus Ua Ua is good UU since it's less slices iirc
This is categorically untrue.
You can don the inverse of Ua Ua to solve Ub Ub, thus making them both 5 slice cases.
Ua Ub and Ub Ua, on the other hand, take 8 slices, that's why they're called bad U Perms.

I can back this up by citing the source of: Just look at AlgDB.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
This is categorically untrue.
You can don the inverse of Ua Ua to solve Ub Ub, thus making them both 5 slice cases.
Ua Ub and Ub Ua, on the other hand, take 8 slices, that's why they're called bad U Perms.

I can back this up by citing the source of: Just look at AlgDB.
Ah whoops mobile typo. Meant Ua Ub as an example lol

Thom S.

wait, how do you recognise whether its Ua or Ub on bottom? i mean do you rotate z2 and then see if its Ua or Ub? (i hope you know what I mean)
With enough time, you recognise it like you do PLL. But.
Every U Perm has one side with Opposite colours and one side with Matching colours on all pieces. These are always adjacent to each other and the U Perm Algs I learned all started with Both Matching sides on the left

Nevan J

WCA
2022JAIN05
YouTube
Visit Channel
has this ever happened to anyone that you don't get parity for a long amount of solves, then get it once, and again don't get it for a long time?
this was happening to me a lot today on sq-1 so i thought to ask here that wether it is a bug in cstimer or is it alright?

eyeoh

What is core stripping and core breaking in square-1? A broken white coloured piece just came out of my mgc sq-1 so i want to know what exactly happened
Can you post some photos of it? Sounds like you had a piece pop, which isn't uncommon with Square-1.

Core stripping is when the screw ruins the plastic that the screw goes into. I suspect the main way this happens is if there's no lubrication between the screw and the hole the screw goes into. If there's no lubrication, the screw being turned (whether through adjustment or use over time) will likely remove bits of plastic because metal is a harder substance than plastic.