• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] The "Square-1 Help / Alg Sharing" thread

Jokerman5656

Catch Me If You Can
WCA
2009BRAI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know how to solve cubeshape by making all the edges grouped together on the U face. Which of the following methods should I learn? I am thinking I should learn the first one and quickly switch to the second.
http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/s...1-Cubeshape-Tutorial-(Beginners-amp-advanced)

Both of those video's would help you a lot. the second is a bit tougher to understand for some people so if you don't understand it right away don't let yourself get frustrated

Neo63

WCA
2008WUNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just videos should be fine as long as you can make some sort of index page which would make it easier to search for vids. Looking forward to this.

I feel like people don't use U+adj as much as they should. For me every other solve I use it, it simplifies so many cases it's crazy.

Hmm so I stopped practicing square-1 a while ago and my time went back to around 20. I'm not sure what to start practicing...a lot of people have told me I have terrible cube shape but I don't see how to get better other than tons of practice. Can someone link me to the adj-adj alg that also flips middle layer? Also what cube do you guys use? I use my 4 year old mf8 1gen and it's great. Tried cubetwist but it pops too much for my liking. Have any of you guys modded your mf8 1gen?

Jokerman5656

Catch Me If You Can
WCA
2009BRAI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just videos should be fine as long as you can make some sort of index page which would make it easier to search for vids. Looking forward to this.

I feel like people don't use U+adj as much as they should. For me every other solve I use it, it simplifies so many cases it's crazy.

Hmm so I stopped practicing square-1 a while ago and my time went back to around 20. I'm not sure what to start practicing...a lot of people have told me I have terrible cube shape but I don't see how to get better other than tons of practice. Can someone link me to the adj-adj alg that also flips middle layer? Also what cube do you guys use? I use my 4 year old mf8 1gen and it's great. Tried cubetwist but it pops too much for my liking. Have any of you guys modded your mf8 1gen?

I really like the V1's but i take the spring out of them, same with the Calvin's Sq1 i just recieved. they are both the same mech but the calvin's one feel like it has already been broken in to a good spot. I'm not a fan of the ball core v2's.

And for the alg i just adjust the ending of the regular adj-adj algs

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
Can someone link me to the adj-adj alg that also flips middle layer?
Turning an alg whch doesn't flip middle layer into one which does, or conversely, is really easy. If the last moves (before adjusting faces) of the alg are (a,b) /, just do (a+6,b) / (6,0) / instead. I use that trick all the time.

Neo63

WCA
2008WUNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I really like the V1's but i take the spring out of them, same with the Calvin's Sq1 i just recieved. they are both the same mech but the calvin's one feel like it has already been broken in to a good spot. I'm not a fan of the ball core v2's.

Me neither, v2 and cubetwist both felt horrible to me. Do they still sell v1s? I bought one a while ago as backup but comps here in Canada don't seem to sell them anymore. What is this Calvin's square-1 everyone's been talking about?

Turning an alg whch doesn't flip middle layer into one which does, or conversely, is really easy. If the last moves (before adjusting faces) of the alg are (a,b) /, just do (a+6,b) / (6,0) / instead. I use that trick all the time.
Yeah I know you just do /6,0/6,0/ to flip edge and it cancels, but I've seen algs posted elsewhere that has adj-adj from all angles and both flipping and not flipping middle edge, and the ones that flip are only one slash longer.

brandbest1

WCA
2011LINB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Me neither, v2 and cubetwist both felt horrible to me. Do they still sell v1s? I bought one a while ago as backup but comps here in Canada don't seem to sell them anymore. What is this Calvin's square-1 everyone's been talking about?
The mf8 v1's can be bought at hknowstore. and the calvin's square-1 is the new square-1 that was produced by hknowstore.

sa11297

WCA
2011AGAR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Both of those video's would help you a lot. the second is a bit tougher to understand for some people so if you don't understand it right away don't let yourself get frustrated
ok, I am already faster with the second method than I was with my original method. What should I average for cubeshape if I want to average sub 40, sub 30, sub 20?
face counts Us Ds and /s, twist counts /s, and you should use random state

ok thanks.